Three moral dilemmas

  • Thread starter Thread starter Economist
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The good news is that I will not be financially liable and a jury will not send me to the gas chamber or electric chair for trying my best to find a solution. I am not guilty of murder as I would be if I chose to directly kill one person.
More good news! But all I can see is lots of 'I’s and lots of 'me’s. I will not be guilty. I will escape punishment. I will not be financially liable.

I guess we can see what you use as the main basis for your decision. Or rather who you use.
 
why are you debating in a ‘moral theology’ forum on a Catholic site?
Because what happens in real life situations is something that should be factored in to the question of what you would do in such circumstances. In many cases, the hypothetical situation is unrealistic and a tentative solution to a speculative situation which does not occur in the real world, may lead to misdiagnosing the analogous real life situation, and as a result cause serious error and it may negate any hypothetical moral good that is put forth on a theoretical non-real situation. IMHO, it is best to use procedures where you do not end up being executed in the gas chamber or being placed in solitary confinement for the rest of your life, even though it may appear to be the best solution theoretically. As far as morality is concerned, it should always be foremost in the mind of a good Christian to do what is best for his family. It is immoral for a good Christian to recklessly embark on an unsanctioned dubious activity which will likely result in serious detriment and prolonged harm to his much loved family. Once you murder that one person, you are subject to the laws of the land and as well to the rapacious lawyers who will stop at nothing to rob you and your family of your life’s earnings. For you to do such is against the Christian virtue of prudence and therefore immoral and irresponsible. Therefore it is entirely appropriate to consider such on a question of Catholic moral theology. Further, you do not have the right to execute an innocent person because of some theoretical situation. Thou shalt not kill, means that you are not supposed to murder innocent people.
 
Last edited:
But this is the trolley problem. You are forced to make one of two decisions, one of which happens to be ‘do nothing’.
The scenario is that you are forced to do “something”. That is the premise. Given that compulsion, there is no moral culpability.
 
40.png
Wozza:
But this is the trolley problem. You are forced to make one of two decisions, one of which happens to be ‘do nothing’.
The scenario is that you are forced to do “something”. That is the premise. Given that compulsion, there is no moral culpability.
OK. Then doing nothing absolves you of any moral culpability. Have I got that right?
 
Regarding the scenario I won’t choose to kill.
 
Last edited:
On the contrary. It is perfectly possible and acceptable that I am totally wrong, and you are right. Happened and happens all the time. But I need an explanation - a RATIONAL explanation - to accept it.
Um, the question so far is not if you will accept the position of your opponents as true. The question is is if you will accept it to be a position.

And given that, I find your claim that you would change your mind if you were given a rational explanation likely to be mere wishful thinking.
To say that the catechism “says so” is insufficient.
It is perfectly sufficient.

After all, it only has to outrank the arguments you give for your position. And let’s see:
For example: “is there a difference between action and non-action”? There is some, but not significant.
The defense of “ I only allowed the event to happen, but I did not make it happen ” is an unacceptable cop-out.
As we can see, you do not support those pronouncements by arguments.

So, it is the battle of authorities: you, an anonymous user on the Internet with no reputation worth speaking of, versus the Catechism, written by people who have reputations.

It looks like Catechism wins. 🙂

Of course, if you would choose to actually present rational arguments, instead of just demanding them, the battle could be renewed. 🙂
 
40.png
runningdude:
40.png
Wozza:
But this is the trolley problem. You are forced to make one of two decisions, one of which happens to be ‘do nothing’.
The scenario is that you are forced to do “something”. That is the premise. Given that compulsion, there is no moral culpability.
OK. Then doing nothing absolves you of any moral culpability. Have I got that right?
Sometimes. The standard for what actions are moral is a bit higher than the standards for what inactions are moral. So in general, it is going to be very hard to find an example where inaction is immoral. Such examples do exist, but this isn’t one of them.
 
I agree with most of your argument, but not the final generalization. Action that is intended to lead to death of innocents is a sin. Inaction in defense of those whose safety is their responsibility is also a sin. Beyond those two generalization, there is not much more we can say.
 
And given that, I find your claim that you would change your mind if you were given a rational explanation likely to be mere wishful thinking.
Don’t make assumptions about other people’s “wishful thinking”. It is against the rules.
So, it is the battle of authorities: you, an anonymous user on the Internet with no reputation worth speaking of, versus the Catechism, written by people who have reputations.
Obviously you are welcome to disagree, but that is merely your opinion.
Of course, if you would choose to actually present rational arguments, instead of just demanding them, the battle could be renewed.
The argument is simple: “inaction can be more evil that action under certain circumstances.” When you have the option to cause “lesser” evil by acting, then inaction is a higher level of evil. As such in the trolley example, all you can do is choose between two evils. The rest is simple calculation.

In a thought experiment you are not allowed to add new options.
Yes. It means you’re not familiar with Catholic moral theology, in which “choosing an evil” is itself an immoral act.
Have you heard about to be “between a rock and a hard place”. If all the options are “evil” what do you do? Inaction can be just as evil (or even more evil) than action. This is the concept that is used in the trolley example.
The one that I will choose will not depend on the mere number of lives.
That is where your argument goes wrong. If the ONLY available information is the number of foreseeable victims, then that is the ONLY thing you can base your argument upon.
So… why is it a cop-out?
Already explained it to MPat.
All mortal sins have the same consequence: loss of eternal life in heaven.
Are there no different punishments in hell? Does a catholic, who intentionally missed mass for no good reason get equal suffering as a mass murderer? Not that anyone would know, but it is RATIONAL to suspect that there will be a difference.
 
In a thought experiment you are not allowed to add new options.
But in real life you are allowed to consider new options. That is why these thought experiments have little applicability to real life.
40.png
Economist:
The one that I will choose will not depend on the mere number of lives.
That is where your argument goes wrong. If the ONLY available information is the number of foreseeable victims, then that is the ONLY thing you can base your argument upon.
But in real life there is always more information, which is another reason why this thought experiment is not applicable to real life.
All mortal sins have the same consequence: loss of eternal life in heaven.
Are there no different punishments in hell? Does a catholic, who intentionally missed mass for no good reason get equal suffering as a mass murderer? Not that anyone would know, but it is RATIONAL to suspect that there will be a difference.
To quote “Economist” if the " ONLY available information is " that mortal sin leads to loss of eternal life, that is the " ONLY thing you can base your argument upon ". You see, your thought experiment simplifications can turn around and bite you too.
 
Last edited:
That is why these thought experiments have little applicability to real life.
No one believes that we shall ever experience a real “lifeboat” scenario or real “runaway trolley”. These thought experiments are “learning tools”, employed in ethics classes to help people to investigate the finer points of their propositions, WITHOUT putting anyone into danger.

I certainly hope that eventually we shall be able to develop “virtual reality” technology and place people into those scenarios (without telling them beforehand, so we could measure their real responses) and then we can see their actual reactions to the “almost real scenarios”. Apart from the stress this would cause, it would be an excellent tool to cut down the “holier than thou” crowd to size. Let them practice what they preach.
 
40.png
LeafByNiggle:
That is why these thought experiments have little applicability to real life.
No one believes that we shall ever experience a real “lifeboat” scenario or real “runaway trolley”. These thought experiments are “learning tools”, employed in ethics classes to help people to investigate the finer points of their propositions, WITHOUT putting anyone into danger.

I certainly hope that eventually we shall be able to develop “virtual reality” technology and place people into those scenarios (without telling them beforehand, so we could measure their real responses) and then we can see their actual reactions to the “almost real scenarios”. Apart from the stress this would cause, it would be an excellent tool to cut down the “holier than thou” crowd to size. Let them practice what they preach.
I see. So apparently these thought experiments are for the purpose of exposing what you perceive to be hypocrisy in traditional religious institutions, especially Christian ones - the ones whom you call “holier than thou”. Well, I’m glad you finally came clean.
 
Last edited:
If all the options are “evil” what do you do?
You choose to not commit evil. Duh! 😉
Inaction can be just as evil (or even more evil) than action.
Not in this case, it isn’t! You could make an argument for inaction being evil when one can confront an aggressor who is assailing an innocent. Not so in this case, in which you’re assailing an innocent yourself through your action!
That is where your argument goes wrong.
For a consequentialist or utilitarian? Absolutely. For someone who follows an objective moral standard? Not even close.
If the ONLY available information is the number of foreseeable victims, then that is the ONLY thing you can base your argument upon.
If that’s the “ONLY available information”, then there’s insufficient information upon which to base a decision. If you were in a hospital, and the only info that the doctor had to go on was that you were groaning in pain, would you support a decision to cut you open? Of course not! You’d want him to make a decision based on sufficient data!
Already explained it to MPat.
Hmm… I can see where you asserted it to MPat, but not where you explained it. Can you point me to the number of the post in this thread where you explained it? I’m not seeing it…
Are there no different punishments in hell?
The Catechism asserts that the primary ‘punishment’ in hell is lack of communion with God. By that standard, Hitler and Dahmer are suffering the same punishment.

There’s this weird idea out there – by Catholics and non-Catholics alike – that there are degrees of punishment in hell by virtue of the act committed. (I guess we can thank Dante for that.) No, it’s not true that if you commit murder you get hell, and if you commit two murders you get double-hell, and if you’re Hitler you get 6MM-hell. Rather, if you die in a state of mortal sin – regardless of the mortal sin – you suffer the punishment of hell, which (as I mentioned above) is primarily “lack of communion with God.”

Maybe the lesson here is: don’t presume that Dante taught Christian doctrine; he was, rather, a writer of fiction.
Not that anyone would know, but it is RATIONAL to suspect that there will be a difference.
It is, conversely, IRRATIONAL to suspect this. Hell is eternal; there is no “less eternal” or “more eternal” to it. Eternal punishment is eternal punishment. Severing your relationship with God while on earth (however you choose to do that) merits a severed relationship in eternity. Period, full stop. It’s irrational to suggest that there are degrees to “eternally severed relationship.”
 
To quote “Economist” if the " ONLY available information is " that mortal sin leads to loss of eternal life, that is the " ONLY thing you can base your argument upon ". You see, your thought experiment simplifications can turn around and bite you too.
No, not really. If all I have is “five on this side and two on that side”, then I can tentatively decide: no action. See how easy that is? See how it doesn’t turn around and bite? 😉
 
I see. So apparently these thought experiments are for the purpose of exposing what you perceive to be hypocrisy in traditional religious institutions, especially Christian ones - the ones whom you call “holier than thou”. Well, I’m glad you finally came clean.
Why did you come to this conclusion? I despise all hypocrisies. And it is “uncharitable” to make unwarranted negative assumptions about other posters.

I meant exactly what I said. First of all these thought experiments are standard teaching tools in ethics classes all other the world. Are they ALL out to “get you”, especially the Christian students? I don’t think so.
 
You choose to not commit evil. Duh!
If ALL the options (including the non-action) involve committing “evil”, then you cannot choose NOT to commit evil. That should be obvious. DUH!
Not in this case, it isn’t! You could make an argument for inaction being evil when one can confront an aggressor who is assailing an innocent.
It is also evil to ALLOW some negative outcome, IF it can be avoided. Your basic assumption that “one is ONLY allowed to defend against an explicitly malevolent person” is simply wrong. We can defend against any kind of harm, whether it is purposefully inflicted or simply accidental, maybe due to some force of nature or due to ignorance of someone else’s part. A hunting lion or a mentally sick person are both “innocent of malice”. According to you, it is moral to use the necessary force against the lion, but not against the insane person. The mentally sick person can be substituted with someone who is simply ignorant, who is also innocent of malice, and then you are forbidden to use the necessary force to defend against the impending harm?

Is that the ethical system you advocate? If so, then don’t be surprised if it is rejected.
 
40.png
LeafByNiggle:
I see. So apparently these thought experiments are for the purpose of exposing what you perceive to be hypocrisy in traditional religious institutions, especially Christian ones - the ones whom you call “holier than thou”. Well, I’m glad you finally came clean.
Why did you come to this conclusion? I despise all hypocrisies. And it is “uncharitable” to make unwarranted negative assumptions about other posters.

I meant exactly what I said. First of all these thought experiments are standard teaching tools in ethics classes all other the world. Are they ALL out to “get you”, especially the Christian students? I don’t think so.
Well, it’s clear you’re out to get somebody. And it is not from the mere posting of ethical thought experiments. It is from your follow-up comments where you refuse to accept answers that defend a religious institution. Your comment “Let them practice what they preach” is most telling. Ethical thought experiments as used in ethics classes are not for the purpose of exposing anyone’s hypocrisy. That is your stated purpose and yours alone.
 
Well, it’s clear you’re out to get somebody .
No, it is not clear, and it is definitely not true that I (and all the other ethics teachers) are out to “get” somebody. I am simply interested in finding out what kind of analysis is provided for certain kinds of ethical dilemmas. There are many interesting thought experiments, where are NO right or wrong answers, where the aim of the game is to see the analysis itself.

Please don’t make assumptions about my “targets”. If you are in doubt, ask.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top