Three moral dilemmas

  • Thread starter Thread starter Economist
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
LeafByNiggle:
Is not the direct cause of the one man’s death being struck by a trolley?
Nope. Asked, answered and, apparently, ignored.
So you’re saying “I have an answer, but I’m not going to tell you what it is.”. I repeat, the trolley strikes the man and kills him just as the withdrawal of nutrients and warmth kills the baby. If you have a reason to believe this is not so, please have the courtesy to say why you think so.
 
The direct cause of the innocent person’s death is the bystander’s throwing the switch.
So you’re saying “I have an answer, but I’m not going to tell you what it is.”.
No, I wrote that I answered and you (pretend?) to ignore my answer. Your selective ignorance merely adds unnecessary posts to an already over-taxed thread. In charity, I must presume you are merely ignorant rather than demented or devious.

So I indulge you one last time. Here is the post you never replied to (for the last time!):
The bullet didn’t kill him, he bled out from the hole in his chest.
The gun didn’t kill him, the bullet made the hole in his chest.
The trigger didn’t kill him, the gun fired the bullet.
The man didn’t kill him, the gun did.

Substitute “trolley” for bullet and “switch” for trigger in the above to see the silliness in your example.
 
Using the pulling trigger/throwing switch comparison, explain how the bystander’s act merely indirectly kills the innocent person. (Direct killing an innocent is intrinsically evil.)
The trigger is designed to shoot a bullet. The bullet, if aimed at a person is designed to injure or kill.

The switch is designed to direct a trolley. The trolley is designed as a means of transport, not a weapon.
Explain why the innocent person has no right of self-defense against the bystander. (The bystander cannot be both just and unjust in the same act in the same circumstances. Self-defense is only employed against an unjust aggressor.
I doubt you’ll agree but I’ll bring up war. I think either side (at least at lower levels) is morally permitted to defend themselves and their allies against enemy combatents regardless of the justice of the war.
That’s correct. The intended moral object has always been to save the life of the mother.
Then why is the moral object in the trolley problem not to save the life of the five?

Lets look at the Churches definitions since we disagree on them.
1751: The object chosen is a good toward which the will deliberately directs itself. It is the matter of a human act. The object chosen morally specifies the act of the will, insofar as reason recognizes and judges it to be or not to be in conformity with the true good. Objective norms of morality express the rational order of good and evil, attested to by conscience.
1752 In contrast to the object, the intention resides in the acting subject. Because it lies at the voluntary source of an action and determines it by its end, intention is an element essential to the moral evaluation of an action. The end is the first goal of the intention and indicates the purpose pursued in the action. The intention is a movement of the will toward the end: it is concerned with the goal of the activity. It aims at the good anticipated from the action undertaken. Intention is not limited to directing individual actions, but can guide several actions toward one and the same purpose; it can orient one’s whole life toward its ultimate end. For example, a service done with the end of helping one’s neighbor can at the same time be inspired by the love of God as the ultimate end of all our actions. One and the same action can also be inspired by several intentions, such as performing a service in order to obtain a favor or to boast about it.
1753 A good intention (for example, that of helping one’s neighbor) does not make behavior that is intrinsically disordered, such as lying and calumny, good or just. The end does not justify the means. Thus the condemnation of an innocent person cannot be justified as a legitimate means of saving the nation. On the other hand, an added bad intention (such as vainglory) makes an act evil that, in and of itself, can be good (such as almsgiving).
I know the object is more than throw a switch but given the purpose of the switch I would not rule out direct a trolley. That would be neutral.
 
Last edited:
Lets change the problem a little:

You are driving a car. Ahead of you there are five children. There is a motorbike on the other side of the road being driven by someone without a helmet. If you collide the motorbike driver won’t survive.

You hit the brakes as you approach the children but the car doesn’t slow. The children aren’t going to be able to get off the road and the motorbike is almost there too. Can you steer away from the children knowing you will hit the motorbike? In this scenario they are your only options.

I suspect I know your answer. I would be interested in hearing it though, as well as anyone else who says it’s immoral to pull the switch.
 
. If you collide the motorbike driver won’t surv
We know this?
Seems contrived.

My basic answer to contrived circumstances would apply.

I simply stop the car using my brakes.
Not the ones mentioned in the contrived circumstances, but the ones that are just as likely as the specific circumstances.
 
We know this?
Seems contrived.

My basic answer to contrived circumstances would apply.

I simply stop the car using my brakes.
Not the ones mentioned in the contrived circumstances, but the ones that are just as likely as the specific circumstances.
No more contrived than the trolley problem.
 
The trigger is designed to shoot a bullet. The bullet, if aimed at a person is designed to injure or kill.

The switch is designed to direct a trolley. The trolley is designed as a means of transport, not a weapon.
The airplanes that struck the World Trade Center towers, the Pentagon and crashed into a field in PA were not designed as weapons. We do not give the terrorists a pass on their choice of instruments to kill innocents so neither should we give a pass to the bystander. Most anything can be weaponized so I don’t think your analysis holds up.
I doubt you’ll agree but I’ll bring up war. I think either side (at least at lower levels) is morally permitted to defend themselves and their allies against enemy combatents regardless of the justice of the war.
Those who prosecute an unjust war are not morally permitted to defend themselves against the necessary force of just defenders to render their aggressors incapable of causing further harm.

While it may be true that a particular unjust combatant is not a criminal and is not to be blamed or punished for what he does, that does not mean that the same combatants act permissibly. It is false that unjust combatants do no wrong to fight provided they respect the rules of engagement. And it is false, that jus in bello is independent of jus ad bellum .
I know the object is more than throw a switch but given the purpose of the switch I would not rule out direct a trolley. That would be neutral
No, the trolley case is concrete. We know what the bystander foresees, his intention and the circumstances. Only in abstract cases can we speak of a neutral human act. The moral object must be more than anything merely on the physical order. “Direct a trolley” is not the moral object. “Direct a trolley that kills an innocent person” is one of the two moral objects. No getting around that fact.
 
Last edited:
Lets change the problem a little:

You are driving a car. Ahead of you there are five children. There is a motorbike on the other side of the road being driven by someone without a helmet. If you collide the motorbike driver won’t survive.

You hit the brakes as you approach the children but the car doesn’t slow. The children aren’t going to be able to get off the road and the motorbike is almost there too. Can you steer away from the children knowing you will hit the motorbike? In this scenario they are your only options.

I suspect I know your answer. I would be interested in hearing it though, as well as anyone else who says it’s immoral to pull the switch.
I would be willing to give my answer but a new thread I think is needed. We have all we need to resolve the OP in this thread.
 
Substitute “trolley” for bullet and “switch” for trigger in the above to see the silliness in your example.
It does not show any silliness in saying that the direct cause of death was being struck by the trolley, any more than saying the direct cause of death of the baby in the tube is the lack of nutrients. The little story you quoted just shows that being struck by the trolley was the result of a switch being thrown, just as the lack of nutrients was the result of the tube being excised.

If you think the two situations are fundamentally different, please cite something significant that is true of one situation and not the other.
 
Once again, the way to she that two things are different (which you claim is the case) is to show something that is true of one of them but not the other. Tubal excision and switching the trolley are morally different how?
 
Tubal excision and switching the trolley are both consciously chosen actions whose morality has been discussed endlessly in this thread. You yourself have claimed that one and only one of these actions is immoral. It is not innane to ask why you think they are morally different. It is clear to me that if one of these actions is moral, so is the other one.
 
The intended moral object has always been to save the life of the mother.
The intent has always been to save the five.
The direct cause of the child’s death is a lack of nutrients. The indirect cause is the surgeon’s excision of diseased tissue.

The direct cause of the innocent person’s death is the bystander’s throwing the switch.
The latter claim is demonstrably untrue. If we allow for the possibility of rescue after the switch is thrown it is clear that throwing the switch per se does not kill. In such a situation the person on the track has at least the possibility of survival, which is more than can be said of the fetus.

Your position depends on claims that are unsupportable. The person throwing the switch does not intend or desire the death of the one, and while throwing the switch may inevitably lead to his death it is not the direct cause of it. In the trolley case you conflate “inevitable” with “direct” even as you rely on the distinction in the case of the pregnancy.
 
Only in abstract cases can we speak of a neutral human act.
I’m not speaking of a neutral act. I’m speaking of a neutral object.

The act would also include intent and circumstances. For the trolley problem they are assumed good.

However it is possible that the bystander wants the person on the other track dead and in that case pulling the switch would become evil.
The airplanes that struck the World Trade Center towers, the Pentagon and crashed into a field in PA were not designed as weapons. We do not give the terrorists a pass on their choice of instruments to kill innocents so neither should we give a pass to the bystander. Most anything can be weaponized so I don’t think your analysis holds up.
I would say the evil there is also on the intent font.
 
If we allow for the possibility of rescue after the switch is thrown it is clear that throwing the switch per se does not kill.
The OP does not make such an allowance. The bystander foresees, as stated in the trolley case, that throwing the switch directly kills the innocent person. Nor is it reasonable to think otherwise – the innocent person is immobile, the trolley is at speed and magnitudes greater in mass. Mass times velocity equals force. In this case the force is reasonably lethal.
The person throwing the switch does not intend or desire the death …
Again, intent does not alter the moral objects of an act. The fonts are independent. Please stop conflating, that is not Catholic teaching.
In the trolley case you conflate “inevitable” with “direct” even as you rely on the distinction in the case of the pregnancy.
“Inevitable” has nothing to do with “direct” as Pius XII clearly explained. In both surgical procedures, the death of the child is inevitable but one is permitted because the death of the child is indirect, the other not because the death of the child is direct.

So, you still need to show that the death of the innocent one on the track is merely indirectly caused by showing how the “trolley/bullet” scenario differs in any essential way.

And, you need to explain why the innocent one on the tracks does not have a right to self-defense since you claim the bystander is not an unjust aggressor.
 
Last edited:
I’m not speaking of a neutral act. I’m speaking of a neutral object.
If by “neutral object” you mean anything other than a moral agent then such a description does not meet the requirements necessary to define the moral object of a human act.
The act would also include intent and circumstances. For the trolley problem they are assumed good…
I would say the evil there is also on the intent font.
Agreed.
However it is possible that the bystander wants the person on the other track dead and in that case pulling the switch would become evil.
Agreed. However, for a human act to be good the act must be good in all three fonts. The act fails in its moral object. The direct killing of an innocent person is intrinsically evil and vitiates the act regardless of good intent and good circumstances.
 
You are really bad at this.
According toe Catholic ethics you are not allowed to act against INNOCENT people. But in this case, both options will kill INNOCENT people. So both action and inaction will lead to the death of INNOCENT people.
You clearly are aware that the nature of acting is a key part of this. That’s not an assumption, you just wrote it. Yet you keep trying to avoid that issue and put the focus on other elements. You aren’t adapting to the discussion, you are attempting to force arbitrary and ill-fitting choices. If you are trying to act in good faith, you are doing a very bad job of it.

To be fair, you did say we should ask you directly rather than make assumptions, so: Are you acting in good faith?
 
I intruded into this thread, and made some questions, which are pertinent to the problem.
Are you Economist? If so, I would suggest that having a second account to participate in the same conversation is not a sign of good faith. If not, why are you responding to this?
 
Last edited:
All of these can’t be answered like this as you’d (well I would) discern them with God and he would guide me as to what to do in each and every situation. I can’t say what I’d do because I dont know what God would want and what part he’s going to take for me. These sort of questions are secular and have taken God out of morality. You can only shrug your shoulders and say ‘whatever He tells me to do’.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top