Tim LaHaye: Left Behind Series

• Thread starter Thread starter WhiteDove
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
rayne89:
My mother in law in Pentacostal and is very into the rapture hysteria. We get movies (illegally burned dvds) of all kinds of rapture movies from my in laws-which promptly go in the trash. She gave me the series to read but I could not even get past the first one. I found them very poorly written.

As far as our daughter goes if she gave the children books of that series to our daughter I would ask her to take them back. My mother-in-law told me at the end of this summer that next summer she was going to take a week off of work and have our daughter come stay with them so she could go to their vacation bible school. I didn’t respond to her comment figuring it was a year away but if she brings it up again next summer the answer will no, I’m sorry, I’m not comfortable with that. We go to her church when we visit but I’m not exposing our daughter to a week of once saved always saved theology and end times skits.

She was visiting us about a month ago and she saw a holy card I have of St. Anne. She asked who that was and I said Mary’s mother. She says I didn’t they made her a saint. I said well after all she raised a very holy daughter. And my mother in law says in front of our 9 year old why would Mary be considered so holy? My daughter look at my MIL like she was from another planet. She says Grandma she is Jesus’ mom!

Anyway my point was you have a right and responsibilty to raise your children in the Catholic faith. And to protect them from confusing doctrine while they are still being formed in the faith. I would suggest either decline accepting the books or put them away. Don’t feel you have to give them to your child because you mother in law wants him to have them. I doubt they would allow Catholic children’s books to be passed out to young children at their church.
Thanks for your insight. I feel better knowing that there are other people going through a similar situation. It is funny that you mention the illegally burned dvd–from someone trying to “save” you is burning dvds. It had gotten so bad that I did leave the church for a while, but I signed my son up for religion education classes which started today. He truely enjoyed going. I also went to Mass while he was in class. I am looking forward to living my life as Catholic.

I used to love those books when I was Protestant i bought every last one but after “The Indwelling” I found the writing suffered and got worse and worse the last book was a big let down. The pastor of my former church (Disciples of christ he was a proud amilleniallist) called them “Spiritual Junk Food” as a Catholic I can see that he was right they are nothing but sensationlism the “Super Market Tabloids” of Christianity after I became Catholic I threw all of them along with the rest of my Dispensationist End Times “prophecy” books in the trash.

I unfortunately wasted alot of time reading this series. I was rather like eating a box of really medicre chocolates; if you try enough of them you might get lucky and fine one you like…

After reading this trash I decided to find an end times novel written in the Catholic perspective and came across “Fr. Elijah” this was worth the time reading. Better writting, better characters and even a better version of what “end times” might be like.

Read Fr Elijah…after reading it Tim Lahaye will be left behind…

I used to read the series because when I was a teenager, I bought the whole Rapture, Tribulation thing through the works of Hal Lindsey. Only five years ago I was reading all the books. Then I read, “will Catholics be left behind” by Carl Olson, and after that info, I stopped.
I no longer believe in the Rapture, at least in the sense that Dispensationalists teach it. I believe in the following in regards to the end times…
1)A great Apostasy will happen first
2)The Man of Sin will appear…
3)There will be a great number of Jews who will accept Christ
4)The Church will be ruthlessy persecuted by the Anti-Christ
5)Jesus returns

This is as far as scripture takes it as well as many of the Apostolic Fathers. No crazy…seven years this, ten minutes that, first you’re resurrected, now you are next…I mean please!

Here’s an interesting thing to think about…what if these guys are right about the rapture and tribulation? Let’s say we’re left behind, and the Anti-Christ makes his appearance just like they say…wouldn’t we be all like…"Hey! Get that guy!!! We know who you are!!! It’s all in those Lindsey and Jenkins Books!!! It says there on page 39 that you’re going to do this!!! Get him!!!
I think the Antichrist would have a seriously hard time getting people to rally behind him from the start since these “Left Behind” books are going to be sitting around. In fact I predict a massive increase in sales of the series right after the Rapture happens!!! Imagine the lines at Barne and Noble!!! Whew!!!
Maybe Jesus will rapture every copy of Left Behind too so that we won’t have a reference 😃
Oh yeah, we would be able to calculate down to the day when Jesus’ second coming would happen!!! Just wait for the peace treaty between the Antichrist and Israel happens!!! So much for “no one knows the day or the hour”… :eek: +

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back