To be comfirmed or not?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MaryandJoseph
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know two people, let’s call them Luke and Joseph. Both were in my class all through parochial school. Both were in my confirmation class. Both grew up in pretty devout families. Luke and Joey were pretty close friends and we liked to talk about “intellectual” things. (we considered ourselves pretty smart cookies back then)
In 9th grade (nearly 5 years ago now!) we all started confirmation classes together. We also entered the stage in faith where we became curious about why we believed and began to question things that we had been taught since birth. Basically, we asked ourselves “Is this stuff REALLY what I think? Is it the real truth?” Up to this point, Luke, Joey, and I were the same: teenagers who had been raised in the church that had a growing desire to understand and to question our beliefs.
It’s in our parents’ reactions that our cases began to differ. Upon sharing their questions with their parents, both Joey and Luke said that they weren’t sure if they believed (Luke in the Catholic Church specifically and Joey in God at all).Both expressed that they felt it would be disrespectful to people who really did believe if they were publicly confirmed into a faith they didn’t actually hold. Luke’s parents responded by telling him that he HAD to believe and of COURSE he would be confirmed, that it was just a stage and he was being a rebel. Joey’s parents responded that such questions were okay and were a part of growing up. Both parents continued to make their sons attend confirmation class, with Joey’s parents further suggesting that he research his questions, helping him to read the Bible and Catechism as well as allowing him to research, with guidance, other religions that he expressed desire in learning more about to compare. Luke’s parents, on the other hand, just kept dragging him to class and being frustrated with him, so that he felt unable to approach them with his questions and thus gave up on investigating. He assumed that, since his parents were so intimidated by his doubts, there wasn’t any response to them, and thus the church was wrong.
By time confirmation rolled around (a year later), Luke (now leaning towards being an atheist) was threatening to tell the bishop “No, I refuse to believe in such an ignorant religion.” Still, he was dragged into line in a suit and ties and actually got confirmed. Joey, on the other hand,(who by this time had moved to deciding which form of Christianity was true) decided that he wanted to wait one more year, because he still wasn’t sure and he didn’t want to be a hypocrite.
Two and a half years later, we’re all in college. Joey did end up getting confirmed and now places even greater emphasis on his faith because he sees it as something that he freely chose and that he really believes because it is true, not just because it was the only option he was given. Luke has completely rejected religion and stopped going to mass the day he left his parents’ house.

I’m not saying that either set of parents was to blame. Each did what they thought was best for their child. Who knows, the same results could have happened regardless. I’m also not saying that your son would respond the same way. However, allowing your child to question and not trying to force a belief (which is impossible short of some kind of hypnosis anyway) will reduce the possibility of resentment and allow your child to remain open to your guidance as he explores his faith. Then, when he eventually is confirmed, you will know that he really does believe, perhaps more strongly than he would if he had never questioned.

Again, this is just an example from personal experience (my parents were sort of like Joey’s). It may not be the universal “right choice”. Anyways, I hope all works out with your son. He’ll be in my prayers.
I have heard priests say that early high school is probably the worst time possible to plan to have confirmation for most young Catholics. It would be better to have to master the facts of the faith and profess it from an advanced understanding before your brain comes totally unwired.

Since most bishops currently require the average candidate to wait until the teen years, this is inevitably going to happen. I think that you have to allow the candidate to respect his or her own conscience about the matter. You can’t keelhaul someone into the fullness of faith. It doesn’t work that way.
 
I don’t think anyone can be any clearer than, “I don’t believe”.
We should ask the OP what she meant, but it sure looks like you’ve grossly misunderstood her post:
40.png
MaryandJoseph:
My 15 year old … is a terrific altar server… and he believes in God.
Umm… you were saying, Rence? :rolleyes:
40.png
MaryandJoseph:
Do I stand up to my husband and … make our son attend even though he does not believe?
So, which is it, then? Does her son believe or not believe? Good question. The context of this second quote is “attendance at confirmation class”; her son does not believe in attending. The OP might help us understand what she meant, but it sure seems like you’re taking her statement out of context…
You can force a kid to go to Church, but you can’t force them to believe. Confirmation is for those who are ready for it and he clearly isn’t.
Your assertion depends on your understanding that their son doesn’t believe in God; I’ll defer until the OP says that this is the case.
The difference is that the Church recognizes that the 15 year old is of the age of consent, which he clearly doesn’t.
He doesn’t consent to confirmation classes. The canons deal with consent to Confirmation. Apples and oranges.
I’m sure the canon and Catechism has the same definition for “consent” that I do.
Then please demonstrate this. Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Though this particular 15 year old does say he believes in God, he has chosen to not build his relationship with Christ through Confirmation at this time.
And if he chooses not to build his body up with good nutritious food? To build his mind up with good studies? To build his morals up with good choices? You seem to be saying, “meh, let him do what he wants – he’s a big boy.”
You can’t tell people how to build their relationship with God. That’s an indivual choice.
No, that’s not what the Church teaches: you can’t tell people to make the choice to believe in God. This young man does, and participates in the practice of the Catholic faith. But, the Church teaches that, given the choice to be Catholic, there is an obligation – primarily with parents, but also with pastors, and parish communities – to form children well, fully, and appropriately. Formation is exactly the process of teaching a person and guiding them toward a stronger relationship with God. To claim otherwise is to grossly mischaracterize the Church’s teachings.
 
We should ask the OP what she meant, but it sure looks like you’ve grossly misunderstood her post:

Umm… you were saying, Rence? :rolleyes:
Rence says: let’s review :rolleyes:

The OP said:
My 15 year old will freeing admit that he attends Mass and comfirmation class ONLY because he has no choice. He is a terrific altar server (infact Father will ask him to fill in when someone fails to show) and he believes in God…but that is the extent of it.
Although my husband (a cradle Catholic) and me (a convert) both agree that our son should attend Mass, we disagree about** “forcing”** him to take comfirmation class. My husband believes that he should be comfirmed and I believe that by forcing him, he will abandond everything when he is old enough to do so. It took me 41 years to Come Home to Holy Mother Church (an atheist before that) and I don’t want our son to** hate **our beautiful faith or God which is happening now,
Until the OP comes back to this post and ‘explains’, I don’t feel it is I who have misunderstood her post. In fact, it’s quite clear.
So, which is it, then? Does her son believe or not believe? Good question. The context of this second quote is “attendance at confirmation class”; her son does not believe in attending. The OP might help us understand what she meant, but it sure seems like you’re taking her statement out of context…
From her own words, her son believes in God, but is coming to hate the Church. See above… " I don’t want our son to** hate **our beautiful faith or God which is happening now, "
Your assertion depends on your understanding that their son doesn’t believe in God; I’ll defer until the OP says that this is the case.
Uhm, no, my understanding of her post is that her son does believe in God, but is having trouble with the Church.
He doesn’t consent to confirmation classes. The canons deal with consent to Confirmation. Apples and oranges.
Um, no, he doens’t want to be confirmed. READ her post again. The fact that her husband wants to FORCE him to attend class (which is required in order to be confirmed) says he is opposed to being confirmed.
Then please demonstrate this. Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
I have. Many times.
And if he chooses not to build his body up with good nutritious food? To build his mind up with good studies? To build his morals up with good choices? You seem to be saying, “meh, let him do what he wants – he’s a big boy.”
The Church is clear about consent. If the Church requires consent, then consent is required. It’s truly is that simple.

If the parents are honest with the Bishop and If the Bishop knows he doesn’t consent, the Bishop WON’T confirm him. And surely the Bishop knows what he’s talking about.
 
Sorry it has taken me so long in responding,work schedule prevented me puter time.

As a parent, I would never deny medical/dental for me son, and yes I know that his spiritual health is even more important, but he would be lieing to himself and God if he wrote the letter to the bishop and went ahead and was comfirmed. I converted when my boys were young (before that it was as atheist home) It was MY conversion not theirs, I just made them attend Mass with me and attend CCD.

My oldest son received his sacraments, was an altar server (actually the only one ever “fired” by father) but as soon as he became an adult, he never attended Mass again and is now engaged to an atheist:( He hates everything to do with the faith. This is what I do NOT want to happen to my younger son.

He knows all the prayers we recite at Mass but refuses to pray them because he says they mean nothing to him and he only altar serves because he does not want to upset his dad (which is also why he attends Mass)

To clarify,my son Believes in God just not His Church, he believes but has no faith. Our beautiful Catholic faith bores him and leaves him feeling angry and empty.
 
… but he would be lieing to himself and God if he wrote the letter to the bishop and went ahead and was comfirmed. I converted when my boys were young (before that it was as atheist home) It was MY conversion not theirs, I just made them attend Mass with me and attend CCD.

He knows all the prayers we recite at Mass but refuses to pray them because he says they mean nothing to him and he only altar serves because he does not want to upset his dad (which is also why he attends Mass)

To clarify,my son Believes in God just not His Church, he believes but has no faith. Our beautiful Catholic faith bores him and leaves him feeling angry and empty.
I would encourage you to tell the Bishop your whole story, and get direction from him. That would be the honest thing to do.

You can’t force someone to have faith. He’s already angry. I don’t see how forcing him to commit to something he is opposed to at this time will do any good. You can do better by leading by your living example. The Catechism also states that you cannot do good by commiting bad. Where is the good in stripping someone of their God given free will and enforcing one’s own? Seriously, speak to the Bishop, tell him the truth, and do what he says.
 
I would encourage you to tell the Bishop your whole story, and get direction from him.

Seriously, speak to the Bishop, tell him the truth, and do what he says.
Bishop? No…! Start with your pastor!

(After all, what kind of position would your pastor be in if he gets a call from the bishop’s office, asking, why folks are going over his head in order to talk to the bishop?)
 
Thank you all for your help…

I believe the best thing I can do is go to Father with this. For certain though, I will not Force my son to get comfirmed.

God bless you all:)
 
I think you made the right decision on not forcing your son through the sacrament. I was confirmed at 13 at my Catholic grade school just as everyone else was. I sort of feel that it may have been to young to truly understand the situation entirely.

I was forced into Catholicism my whole childhood (literally 6-18 years) and it had a very negative affect on me, which was to the point of Agnostic and now, nothing.

I feel that letting him grow up and choosing what he wants to do with his beliefs and where he wants to be confirmed should be the best route.

Also talking to Father would be a good idea, I’m sure he can find ways to keep your son active but not exactly against his will.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top