Not open for further replies.
40.png
jlw:
Did you mean to say *droids?? 😃 *
Well they could be droid boids.
🙂

40.png
jlw:
But when news anchors go to Michael Moore premieres?? In an election year?? Come on…
Wasn’t the premier news? Or is it the case that news anchors are only allowed to hold opinions or attend activities that coincide with a certain approved list?

:rolleyes:

Tom Brokaw was, by and large, an admirable journalist. Like any journalist, we was certainly not perfect, but then none of us are. If nothing else, he deserves to be remembered for The Greatest Generation and its companion books.

– Mark L. Chance.

I can’t see the evening news, I work too late, but I am glad to see our fellow Catholic Brian Williams get the chance to ‘read the news’.

40.png
mlchance:
Wasn’t the premier news? Or is it the case that news anchors are only allowed to hold opinions or attend activities that coincide with a certain approved list?
, he was on the red carpet!! He was IN the news, not “reporting” the news! He was invited as a supportive celebrity, not as a newsman with a press pass! You see the difference???

jlw said:
ml, he was on the red carpet!! He was IN the news, not “reporting” the news! He was invited as a supportive celebrity, not as a newsman with a press pass! You see the difference???

So then I was right with my second scenario. Mr. Brokaw dares to do things that you don’t approve of. Oh, the temerity.

– Mark L. Chance.

40.png
mlchance:
So then I was right with my second scenario. Mr. Brokaw dares to do things that you don’t approve of. Oh, the temerity.
So, by and large, network news anchors are celebrities first, and objective news reporters second???

Tom, Dan, and Peter claim to be objective. They claim to be “above partisanship” and “unbiased”.

Accepting the invite to the premeire of an obvious partisan propaganda peice in an election year goes against his claim of being so!!

Surely you can see that. No?

40.png
jlw:
So, by and large, network news anchors are celebrities first, and objective news reporters second???

Tom, Dan, and Peter claim to be objective. They claim to be “above partisanship” and “unbiased”.

Accepting the invite to the premeire of an obvious partisan propaganda peice in an election year goes against his claim of being so!!

Surely you can see that. No?
You are addressing one of the main issues in journalism today: there is to be a “tension” between those reported on and those doing the reporting. You can’t be objective when you’ve been wined and dined at the White House the evening before as we’ve found out - when you are a recognized fund raiser and supporter of a party or a candidate, one can’t be “objective” at all as we have all seen. And tragically, when your commitment is so strong that you seek to obsessively “destroy” - your news reporting loses all credibility.

Brokaw’s book was great but that doesn’t change the fact that even his friends admit that over the years his personal politics affected his broadcasting. His style was less confronational than one anchor and less dramatic than the other, it’s the content and slant that’s being critiqued and conversely it’s why many see him as “the best of the 3”. He’s more suave, lower key and uses that boyish smile to its full ability - doesn’t change the facts. We need factual news, and reporters need to keep that wall between the stories and their personal opinion.

This should end this thread 🙂
A Girl Potato and Boy Potato had eyes for each other, and finally they got
married, and had a little sweet potato, which they called ‘Yam.’ Of course,
they wanted the best for her.

When it was time, they told Yam about the facts of life. They warned her
about going out and getting half-baked, so she wouldn’t get accidentally mashed,
and get a bad name for herself like ‘Hot Potato,’ and end up with a bunch of
Tater Tots.

Yam said not to worry, no Spud would get her into the sack and make a rotten
potato out of her! But on the other hand, she wouldn’t stay home and become
a Couch Potato either. She would get plenty of exercise so as not to be
skinny like her Shoestring cousins.

When she went off to Europe, Mr. and Mrs. Potato told Yam to watch out for
the hard-boiled guys from Ireland and the greasy guys from France called the
French Fries.

Yam said she would stay on the straight and narrow and wouldn’t associate
with those high class Yukon Golds, or the ones from the other side of the
t_racks who advertise their trade on all the trucks that say 'Frito Lay."