Transgender and claiming you’re catholic

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maddog15
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
FROM ABOVE…

Re Brittany’s “One cannot be born the wrong gender” … that will likely get modified somewhat with time and experience. I think it is likely fair to say that nature does have, for good reasons, a normative “gender” description hardwired into brain structure/hormones for biological females which is meant to be different from that of biological males.

So it seems one can be born with “mismatches.”
Being born albino on an equatorial Polynesian island is likely not what nature would have preferred.

But we must also recognise such things are fluid and normative in a population and sometimes the unusual individuals are a community’s best chance at survival in new and changing times.
I do not think words like “being born wrong” is the right way to discuss such dissonances.

Anyways, while I think “one cannot be born the wrong gender” needs some deconstructing the OPs following statement “gender is a physical thing” may well be correct in her case. Some people just are that way from birth despite determined efforts from mum that she should like girly things because she is a female.

My hope is that our OP does not feel she needs to take hormones or surgery to appear physically as the male gender she feels she is. I invite her, as a Catholic, to look more deeply into what it really means to be a person before God and to be herself, however contradictory that might feel at the moment.

That is surely a spiritual journey to self-acceptance not a physical one.
 
I am sure you could be more specific to this topic if you wanted to…
 
And yet wives around the world Sunday morning likely say how does this look, is my bum too fat, is this too tight…and husbands wait 10 mins for her to pick her shoes and put them on…

I am sure I am not alone in observing this normative experience.

Just sayin.
 
Last edited:
OK. To be more precise, if they believe in transmigration of souls, or that souls simply inhabit the body in a manner opposed to proper unity, or that morals are subjective, or that religions are the same or relative, etc.

If you’re trying to bait me into saying some thing more, then I request a cessation of the activity.
 
???
You responded with vague generics.
I am asking you to clarify what you really mean re choosing a “good catholic therapist” to discuss Gender Disphoria with. Often its simply code for “someone who agrees with my views on this thread”.

If you do not wish to that is fine, asking you to explain what you mean on a topic dedicated to transgender is hardly baiting. ???
 
I mean, how specific do you want me to be? Church teaching allows for a wide range of beliefs so long as they are in Concord with Church teaching.

I feel I’ve been plenty specific enough without actually having met any specific therapist.
 
Can you see yourself living your life as a single, celibate person for the glory of God? Have you considered what would be necessary for you to do that?
 
Last edited:
Does it matter if they are competent? Knowledgeable on GID/GD?
 
Last edited:
of course any therapist or psychiatrist should be competent. I think that’s an assumed trait anytime someone offers recourse to a professional.

“I have a nasty cough.”
“You should see a doctor.”

It would be odd to think it would be necessary to say instead,
“You should see a competent doctor”
unless there was reason for competency to be on the mind.

Likewise, it would be odd for the one with the cough to assume the talking mate means for her to see an incompetent doctor.

It too would be odd if someone said, go see your spiritual director or a priest and meant to see Fr Joe Blow who believes the Eucharist is merely symbolic and that the Trinity is actually the Mother, nongender specific Child, and the Ayahuasca.

In the future if I ever reccomend someone seek out professional or semi-professional help, you have full rights to assume I mean one who is competent, correctly certified, and well-educated in the subject matter. This applies to posts I have already made, am making, and shall make in the future. This statement is in no way a guarantee of fact or accuracy in the reader’s (hereinafter referred to as “you”) assumptions. Your rights are not infringed by acknowledging the above-stated declarations, and you are not being forced to agree to any statement without your own free consent. Agreement to the statement affirms that you understand and agree to the above-stated declarations and this current declaration.
 
of course any therapist or psychiatrist should be competent. I think that’s an assumed trait anytime someone offers recourse to a professional.
You say “of course” but many are not competant even more are not useful, especially if the issue is something outside the area of expertise.
“You should see a competent doctor”

unless there was reason for competency to be on the mind.
Where I live we say it another way: “I’d get that checked out…but not here [meaning the local medical center]. Go to [nearby city] or [somewhat further away city].”
 
Last edited:
The single, celibate life is a vocation no less than the married, religious and priesthood. It is honoured by the Church but maybe not so much recognized and respected in our secular world. At my parish, we regularly offer prayers and blessings for people in each of these states of life.

The OP expressed doubts about belonging within the Church. The Church has concern for every person.
 
I am sorry you’re going through this struggle, and I pray for you, but know that you were not born the wrong gender. You’re dealing with a disorder, this is your cross that you have to bear. It is not sinful to have these feelings since you cannot control them, but acting on them like undergoing surgery that will mutilate your body is sinful. Maybe talk to a priest about your situation? He can help you spiritually.
 
Last edited:
Like they say, before enlightenment its carrying water and chopping wood. After enlightenment its carrying water and chopping wood.
Sorry sir, but this is a Christian server, so no Buddhism.
 
Last edited:
True that single and celibate is moral and honored.
I don’t understand why it was suggested for the OP.
 
Kay, I tried to calm people down in private messages but you know what, this is ridiculous.

Why are we fighting about this and typing paragraphs at each other? The OP has been completely forgotten.
 
And that is really only for the OP to consider, as it is for each of us in our personal lives.
 
In a very real sense, celibacy in the single life is the final outcome of many of these issues. We can only guess as to why these things are the way they are, theories abound. If they came up with the real physical reason, the gay gene, extra or missing chromosomes, it still would not answer the spiritual reason for all of this, although it might take pressure off one group or the other that say “I did not ask for this, I would rather not be like this.”

I think believing these people is an act of kindness, if for no other reason, it does not change the spiritual answer or the vocation of celibacy. When your young, it seems to be as hard as nails to accept this, but being Catholic, studying the saints and the CCC it makes the vocation of being single and celibate easier not harder.
The pain, struggles, there are rewards, merits, graces, and yes even mercies and forgiveness that comes with these crosses and obedience to this vocation. There rewards are in heaven yes, but the are also given freely here on earth.

The reasons for my choice for this vocation are complicated. Part of it is aspergers, that, and I don’t want to pass along the crazy family traits in my lineage. I am my own monk. It is heavy at times, but the pain of sin under which I lived for so very long was much much heavier, with no rewards at all.
 
@2towers Thank you for your testimony. It breathes life and hope, which is our faith in Christ. There are many many people who remain single, whether from choice, or circumstance. All deserve our respect and support and a welcome place in the Church.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top