Troy Davis makes final appeal before execution

  • Thread starter Thread starter _Abyssinia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

_Abyssinia

Guest
A US death row inmate has made a final bid for clemency two days before his scheduled execution for the 1989 killing of an off-duty policeman.

Troy Davis’ legal team made the appeal to the Georgia Board of Paroles and Pardons, which has the power to commute the sentence.

Davis was convicted in 1991, but most of the witnesses have since recanted or changed their testimony.

The 42-year-old is due to face a lethal injection on Wednesday evening.

Over one million people worldwide have signed petitions for clemency in his case.

Pope Benedict XVI, former US President Jimmy Carter and EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton are among those who have backed Davis, who has always maintained he is innocent.

bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14981064
 
It’s highly amusing to me when people recant or change their testimony. I’m not a lawyer, but wouldn’t the term “perjury” come into effect?
 
I just heard the mother of the victim ask that the criminal get his just desserts. I beg other posters to remember that. It’s easy to arrogantly lecture someone on the need to forgive and hold hands. We have no right to say that to this poor woman…
 
I just heard the mother of the victim ask that the criminal get his just desserts. I beg other posters to remember that. It’s easy to arrogantly lecture someone on the need to forgive and hold hands. We have no right to say that to this poor woman…
But I have every right to point out that you dont send a message to society that killing is wrng by killing someone. I too pray for clemency for this evil murderer.
 
But I have every right to point out that you dont send a message to society that killing is wrng by killing someone. I too pray for clemency for this evil murderer.
Yup. Yes. Totally agree you can argue against the death penalty fron that angle. Just never forget the victims families.
 
I just heard the mother of the victim ask that the criminal get his just desserts. I beg other posters to remember that. It’s easy to arrogantly lecture someone on the need to forgive and hold hands. We have no right to say that to this poor woman…
Well if he didn’t do it - witnesses have recanted or changed their story, etc. then its not about forgiveness, but about possibly killing an innocent man?

Ishii
 
Well if he didn’t do it - witnesses have recanted or changed their story, etc. then its not about forgiveness, but about possibly killing an innocent man?

Ishii
This happened in 1991 and witnesses have changed their stories? Do we know in what ways their stories have changed? Regarding what facts? Did they say they lied before, or are they simply having recall problems after all these years? We don’t know. It would be truly amazing if they did not have recall difficulties twenty years after the fact.

It is no surprise to me that the Pope might have asked for clemency. Like John Paul II, he likely opposes the death penalty in all cases, personally, notwithstanding that opposition to it is not mandatory Catholic doctrine. It’s the plea of a merciful man, one he would likely make in all cases.

If the Pope went through all the trial transcripts and exhibits, I would be astounded, and I’m reasonably confident that he did not. Is his opposition based on a review of the evidence? I doubt that very much.

I personally oppose the death penalty ONLY because JPII did, not because I don’t believe it is a deterrent to abhorrent crimes, because I believe it is. It is only out of respect for him that I oppose it.

But executing this man is within the legitimate power of the state, has undoubtedly been reviewed in excruciating detail time and time again, and no one with the power to set the conviction or the sentence aside has done so. So, is this a legitimate exercise of state power from the standpoint of the Church? I don’t think we can correctly deny that it is.
 
Well if he didn’t do it - witnesses have recanted or changed their story, etc. then its not about forgiveness, but about possibly killing an innocent man?

Ishii
So were the “witnesses” lying then or they lying now? Their opinions changed because…
 
So were the “witnesses” lying then or they lying now? Their opinions changed because…
Shouldn’t we at least know, before executing him? Apparently, there is no physical evidence linking him to the crime and several of the witnesses are/were unsure of what they saw, despite giving in to the pressure to testify as they did.

What would it hurt to leave him in prison for the rest of his life: time to reflect, to develop a sense of true sorrow for his actions (regardless of the extent of his involvement) and to find God; perhaps even to become an example to others who might be tempted to stray. What is it with out thirst for blood and vengeance? Justice yes, but completely devoid of mercy??

The slain cop’s mother, says the execution will bring her peace but I seriously doubt that peace can come from eye for eye justice…peace comes from the Prince of Peace, who takes no pleasure in the death of anyone. May the wings of angels carry Him forth to the mercy of God.
 
But I have every right to point out that you dont send a message to society that killing is wrng by killing someone. I too pray for clemency for this evil murderer.
The man’s crime/alleged crime is evil; that might make him a murderer but since you or I don’t likely know him personally, the appellation of evil murderer is unwarranted since he has had more than ample time to achieve a change of heart. For all we know he could now be more fit for heaven than either of us.
 
Shouldn’t we at least know, before executing him? Apparently, there is no physical evidence linking him to the crime and several of the witnesses are/were unsure of what they saw, despite giving in to the pressure to testify as they did.

What would it hurt to leave him in prison for the rest of his life: time to reflect, to develop a sense of true sorrow for his actions (regardless of the extent of his involvement) and to find God; perhaps even to become an example to others who might be tempted to stray. What is it with out thirst for blood and vengeance? Justice yes, but completely devoid of mercy??

The slain cop’s mother, says the execution will bring her peace but I seriously doubt that peace can come from eye for eye justice…peace comes from the Prince of Peace, who takes no pleasure in the death of anyone. May the wings of angels carry Him forth to the mercy of God.
That’s funny, because the victims of the families who watched McVeigh die said it DID give them peace to know McVeigh was dead. I’m sure other people who were victims of crime who saw someone who murder their familes felt relief when the person who did it died.In fairness (see? I’m totally fair to everyone ;)) that there are some who didn’t find peace while watching. I say err on the side of caution and gas the murderer anyway. (relax everyone-it’s a toungue in cheek statement!)

Next, so they changed their minds. I guess they were lying back then. Whose to say they won’t be pressured to say something else from the anti-death penalty people? Do those kind souls who oppose the death penalty ever influence people? And heck, if they are lying back then (under oath- a vow made to GOD) they probably won’t tell the truth now.
 
. For all we know he could now be more fit for heaven than either of us.
A-ha! That “argument” works the other way too! For all we know, he could have rejoiced in the killing the of police officer and looks foward to killing more!

(No, I’m not claiming he thinks that way!)
 
Troy Davis: Worldwide anti death penalty deceptions, rightly, failed

Innocence Deceptions and the Anti Death Penalty Movement
Dudley Sharp, sharpjfa@aol.com

The false innocence claims by anti death penalty activists are a legendary part of their strategy.
  1. Troy Davis: Misleading anti death penalty campaign
    homicidesurvivors.com/2011/09/18/troy-davis-misleading-anti-death-penalty-campaign.aspx
  2. “The Innocent Executed: Deception & Death Penalty Opponents”
    homicidesurvivors.com/2009/10/08/the-innocent-executed-deception–death-penalty-opponents–draft.aspx
  3. The 130 (now 138) death row “innocents” scam
    homicidesurvivors.com/2009/03/04/fact-checking-issues-on-innocence-and-the-death-penalty.aspx
  4. Sister Helen Prejean & the death penalty: A Critical Review"
    homicidesurvivors.com/2009/05/04/sister-helen-prejean–the-death-penalty-a-critical-review.aspx
  5. “At the Death House Door” Can Rev. Carroll Pickett be trusted?"
    homicidesurvivors.com/2009/01/30/fact-checking-is-very-welcome.aspx
  6. “Cameron Todd Willingham: Another Media Meltdown”, A Collection of Articles
    homicidesurvivors.com/categories/Cameron%20Todd%20Willingham.aspx
 
That’s funny, because the victims of the families who watched McVeigh die said it DID give them peace to know McVeigh was dead. I’m sure other people who were victims of crime who saw someone who murder their familes felt relief when the person who did it died.In fairness (see? I’m totally fair to everyone ;)) that there are some who didn’t find peace while watching. I say err on the side of caution and gas the murderer anyway. (relax everyone-it’s a toungue in cheek statement!)

Next, so they changed their minds. I guess they were lying back then. Whose to say they won’t be pressured to say something else from the anti-death penalty people? Do those kind souls who oppose the death penalty ever influence people? And heck, if they are lying back then (under oath- a vow made to GOD) they probably won’t tell the truth now.
The rule of thumb is: when in doubt, don’t. With regard to the Davis clemency petition, I just read that it has been denied, so to the flippant and those seeking peace in his death, this may seem like a victory. Indeed, mercy without justice is hollow but the same goes for justice without mercy as we shall find when we too leave this world.
 
Where? Within the prison walls? On death row?
Your not answering my questions.

I never said he KILLED them. I said he could be REJOICING that he killed the original. Your argument “he might have changed his mind!” works both ways.

Next, you didn’t answer my part about the witnesses. When were they lying? Could they be influenced now? Can we trust them?

If you don’t want to get a punished, then don’t commit a crime.

Finally, I was KIDDING on the “err on the side of the gas chamber” comment, hence the smiley face.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top