Trump’s campaign stops possibly linked to Covid-19 surges in at least five places

• Thread starter Thread starter Shakuhachi
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad they never focused on the surges that happened with the BLM protests. Or they completely overstated the impact of the Sturgis motorcycle rally but have not admitted they did so. Having a preference for the memory hole to the accountability.

California is experiencing surging cases; they going to blame that on Trump’s visit to Newport Beach for a fundraiser event?

Are you trying to argue that precautions make no difference? Are useless?

Last edited:
Correlation does not prove causation, but it is strongly suggestive of it - especially in the absence of alternative explanations for the correlation.
Alternative explanation: cases are going up in many locations. This was even predicted back in the spring, that the number of cases would rebound as winter approached.

Last edited:
40.png
LeafByNiggle:
Correlation does not prove causation, but it is strongly suggestive of it - especially in the absence of alternative explanations for the correlation.
Alternative explanation: cases are going up in many locations. This was even predicted back in the spring, that the number of cases would rebound as winter approached.
Hmmm… That would explain covid cases going up across the board. But if, as the article suggests, covid cases have gone up more around Trump campaign stops than other places, this alternative would not explain that - unless winter was only approaching where Trump held campaign stops.

“No state is anywhere near the worst-case situation of not having enough capacity to handle its COVID-19 outbreak. “
This is a quote from the article… so if a state had four and went up to five— that is a reportable increase!!!
See how misleading headlines can be?
I’m just saying we need to look closer at the given data and ask more questions!

Sorry I must be in the wrong topic!

Last edited:
“No state is anywhere near the worst-case situation of not having enough capacity to handle its COVID-19 outbreak. “
This is a quote from the article… so if a state had four and went up to five— that is a reportable increase!!!
See how misleading headlines can be?
I’m just saying we need to look closer at the given data and ask more questions!
I agree. I did not research the claims of the OP and I have no idea if the data collected showed a significant correlation or not. That is why I qualified my comment with an “if”, so my conclusion is conditional on there being a significant correlation. I would think that state figures are too coarse to provide a meaningful correlation. It would be more meaningful if the data included how close the cases were geographically to Trump rallies, and not just if they were in the same state. Again, I don’t know if they did this, but that would be something to check out.

Did you read the article? Did you look at their little map? Here’s the real deal. President Trump went to 28 rallies, covid case in five of those places rose quicker than before Trump’s visit. In 23 of those spots there was zero, as in none, zip, nada change in the rate of covid cases.

Here’s the real deal. President Trump went to 28 rallies, covid case in five of those places rose quicker than before Trump’s visit. In 23 of those spots there was zero, as in none, zip, nada change in the rate of covid cases.
Thanks. The evidence is weak. It would have been better if they compared counties where Trump visited to counties where Trump did not visit. But they didn’t do that.

To be clear, all I said was that this particular study does not provide adequate evidence that Trump rallies spread covid, because of the flaws in the methodology. That does not mean I disbelieve their conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back