Trump Could Win It All

  • Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that Trump does not become the nominee, but if he does I think its very silly to say we shouldn’t vote for him. As reckless as he appears to be, once he gets in the White House he will have to do relatively conservative things.** Namely, for Catholics on this forum, he will have to appoint Supreme Court Justices.** The Court has been divided 4-4 between Liberal and Conservative, with Justice Anthony Kennedy being a swing voter. That divided court situation has existed and been unchanged since the Bush administration. Its been customary for old liberal justices to resign (under Obama), and old conservative Justices to resign under Republican Presidents.

Justice Antonin Scalia is currently 79, and he’ll be turning 80 this year. Will he make it to 84? 88?

Justice Anthony Kennedy is also 79, the swing voter. If he or Scalia were replaced with a liberal Justice by a liberal President, then that would ruin the pro-life movements chances for decades. It would not matter how much popular support there was for the pro-life movement, 9 Justices would get the ultimate say in the land.

Just like gay marriage does not have the majority support of the American people. It certainly didn’t in all 50 states, but that didn’t matter. 9 Justices had the say.

If we want to repeal Roe v Wade in our lifetimes, electing a Republican in 2016 is going to be very crucial.

Hmm… interestingly Ruth Beder Ginsberg is 82 and Stephen Breyer is 77. They’re both on the liberal side of the court. I’m not sure why they haven’t resigned. At least Ginsberg… :hmmm:

The Supreme Court isn’t the only issue. But, on something like the Court and other things, he will have aids and advisors. I can’t imagine him not being obligated to follow through on his promises. I mean, he will be compelled to implement a conservative agenda. A pro-life agenda.

Idk, I’m not a fan of Donald Trump. I hope he doesn’t win the nomination. But, can’t we agree that a Republican President would be better than a Democrat, even if it is Donald Trump?
 
Considering how many people died under Communism in the 50’s and 60’s, I don’t follow why you think it was fabricated.
FYI, the Korean was was in the 50’s
Umm, remember in the 50s how we had that big commuism scare, and it was just witchcraft. Could there be some communist mentalities in those days? Without a doubt but it was proven that not everyone.

Look at our time, are there people with fascism ideas? Sure, but we the people, and this falls on us, we have the power to not vote for those caandidates. Trust me, Hillary and Donald are not the only whackos out there.
 
If these two are the best we can do, the Queen wouldn’t want to take us back. And I wouldn’t blame her.
Seeing as the United Kingdom, a country of less than 70 million people is currently represented in Parliament by 11 differing political parties, I wouldn’t really mind pledging allegiance to her majesty. If it meant that our politically polarized and fractured country would be better represented politically. 😉
 
I hope that Trump does not become the nominee, but if he does I think its very silly to say we shouldn’t vote for him. As reckless as he appears to be, once he gets in the White House he will have to do relatively conservative things.** Namely, for Catholics on this forum, he will have to appoint Supreme Court Justices.** The Court has been divided 4-4 between Liberal and Conservative, with Justice Anthony Kennedy being a swing voter. That divided court situation has existed and been unchanged since the Bush administration. Its been customary for old liberal justices to resign (under Obama), and old conservative Justices to resign under Republican Presidents.

Justice Antonin Scalia is currently 79, and he’ll be turning 80 this year. Will he make it to 84? 88?

Justice Anthony Kennedy is also 79, the swing voter. If he or Scalia were replaced with a liberal Justice by a liberal President, then that would ruin the pro-life movements chances for decades. It would not matter how much popular support there was for the pro-life movement, 9 Justices would get the ultimate say in the land.

Just like gay marriage does not have the majority support of the American people. It certainly didn’t in all 50 states, but that didn’t matter. 9 Justices had the say.

If we want to repeal Roe v Wade in our lifetimes, electing a Republican in 2016 is going to be very crucial.

Hmm… interestingly Ruth Beder Ginsberg is 82 and Stephen Breyer is 77. They’re both on the liberal side of the court. I’m not sure why they haven’t resigned. At least Ginsberg… :hmmm:

The Supreme Court isn’t the only issue. But, on something like the Court and other things, he will have aids and advisors. I can’t imagine him not being obligated to follow through on his promises. I mean, he will be compelled to implement a conservative agenda. A pro-life agenda.

Idk, I’m not a fan of Donald Trump. I hope he doesn’t win the nomination. But, can’t we agree that a Republican President would be better than a Democrat, even if it is Donald Trump?
Yes!
 
What about Independents? Who are they leaning towards?
I want to see the demographics broken down even more.
By state.
By gender
By ethnicity

etc

Not just a general poll.
 
Like polls in NC that predicted a close vote on same-sex marriage but traditional marriage won by, I believe over 10% points.

So, polls are not the last word and I think notoriously, asking someone if they support same-sex marriage is doubly unreliable.
No, polls aren’t the last word. But they are pretty handy at times. Why, specifically, would someone not answer a poll about same-sex marriage honestly?
Polls are not the last word on whether the American public supports same-sex marriage.

See previous post.
7Sorrows’ “yes” wasn’t in response to my post.
 
Polls are not the last word on whether the American public supports same-sex marriage.

See previous post.
I personally feel a majority of Americans still oppose same sex marriage.

I answered “yes” to Benedict’s last statement in his post.
 
I voted “won’t vote.” The truth is, America only has one political party: The War Party. It’s true that The War Party has two different wings, but it’s 99% illusory. Abortion may be a factor, but I honestly can’t tell. What I do know is that it makes absolutely zero difference as far as foreign policy is concerned. I dislike Hillary intensely, but at the same time I see Donald Trump as nothing more than a mindless symbol of cheap populism and strongman appeal. I can’t tell who is worse, but I can tell that they’re both awful.
 
But if both options are distasteful, there would then be nothing to lose.

ICXC NIKA
Voting for a pro-abortion ergo anti-life Democrat is something a Catholic shouldn’t consider doing.
 
I refuse to vote in polls that don’t give you all of the options.
 
I just kind of mentioned gay marriage. I don’t want to derail the thread.
But, as far as PEW itself goes, it is notoriously bad at polling. Its methodology is notorious for being flawed. I have a friend who is a religious studies major (which is quite a liberal major), and her professors absolutely despise PEW.

Anyways… polls are different from votes. Before the Supreme Court decision only a small number of states had actually voted in favor of gay marriage. Most of the states allowed it through Judicial challenges. So, judges imposed it.

Anyways, my point is that when it comes to abortion, and yes gay marriage too, it ultimately comes down to the Supreme Court. Not voters’ opinions. That’s just the way it is. But… in either case, if a Democrat wins in 2016 it will likely mean that the Supreme Court will be full of young liberal Justices. And that the Supreme Court could be liberal for decades to come. This is one good reason why we should vote for the Republican nominee, no matter who it is. [And once more, I don’t prefer Trump].
 
I refuse to vote in polls that don’t give you all of the options.
The poll question is “If the election were between Trump and Hillary, Who would you vote for?” What else is there besides Trump, Clinton, and “won’t vote”?
 
Anyone else remember the term “Reagan Democrat?”

Well it looks like, according the OP, they haven’t all gone away. 😉
 
The poll question is “If the election were between Trump and Hillary, Who would you vote for?” What else is there besides Trump, Clinton, and “won’t vote”?
isn’t he referring to the pewforum poll?
 
I personally would choose between Trump and Hillary because realistically 1 of the 2 would be our next President and as someone else said, voting 3rd party, and I might be helping the 1 of the 2 who I would least want. I have always resided in swing states so the Electoral College is something important to my vote and I didn’t decide in 2000 to vote for Gore instead of Nader until I was driving to my polling place and did so because I didn’t want to help George W Bush. Turns out an argument could be made that because enough Nader voters didn’t choose Gore over Bush in the state of FL, Bush ended up in the WH and then as an incumbent was elected 4 yrs later. Though there are any number of reasons why Gore, who actually won the most votes nationwide, wasn’t awarded the Electoral College, losing the SCOTUS case by a 5-4 vote broken down pretty much along the conservative/liberal divide within the Court at the time. There was also Palm Beach County’s infamous butterfly ballot design where some may have inadvertently voted for 3rd party candidate, Pat Buchanan, when they actually may have gone to vote for Gore. There were the infamous hanging chads, and even if Gore had won his home state, we would have been spared of the George W Bush Presidency and all that came with it.

In 2010 I did however vote 3rd party in a governor’s race and the candidate of the 2 major ones, a Tea Partier Republican, who I definitely did not want, won by a mere 1%. And 3% of us had voted 3rd party.

That is why I voted Hillary in this poll and would next fall. One reason is that Trump appears to be entirely too much of a hot head for me to be comfortable with as my President, someone who to me doesn’t appear to think before he speaks or acts. Although I think at the same time he knows exactly what he is doing which is to rally those Republicans who like his style, his act, show, or whatever one wants to call it. But for me it’s simply not worth me taking the risk of having him as Commander in Chief at 3am in the morning, when God forbid, he might not think before he acts and eliminate nearly 2 billion of the world’s population, which is about what Muslims make up of the world’s population. That and his exclusion of billions of people. So even if I were a practicing Catholic considering the abortion issue and prudential judgment and proportionate reasoning, things so many here like to talk about, that would still be enough reason for me to vote for Hillary between the 2.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top