Trump signs order targeting undocumented immigrants in the US census

  • Thread starter Thread starter PaulinVA
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Strict constructionism from the American left after they have denounced it for years is hilarious.
 
They have to go back, but until then, fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine ought to apply here.
 
Strict constructionism from the American left after they have denounced it for years is hilarious.
“But the Founders didn’t meant that way!” from the Right after they have denounced it for years is hilarious.
 
I have yet to see any evidence that the Founders meant it that way.
 
I have yet to see any evidence that the Founders meant it that way.
Counting people is pretty much counting people.

There was an opportunity to fix this with the 14th Amendment and it wasn’t done then, either.
 
What does that mean in this situation?
Fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine refers to the policy that if the police illegally obtain evidence against you, that evidence cannot be used, and any evidence gained as a result of that evidence cannot be used either. The idea is to deter wrongful conduct by the police by ensuring that they do not benefit from it in any way.

Likewise, states should not benefit by condoning or actively encouraging illegal activity. Good to know that all the hand-wring over the mythical Russian interference was a smokescreen though for actual foreign interference in the governmental processes. Leftists always project.
 
Last edited:
I filled out the census. I don’t remember a section asking for citizenship.

There was a section asking for ethnicity. I wanted to skip that but couldn’t.
 
Fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine refers to the policy that if the police illegally obtain evidence against you, that evidence cannot be used, and any evidence gained as a result of that evidence cannot be used either. The idea is to deter wrongful conduct by the police by ensuring that they do not benefit from it in any way.
I know the doctrine. It doesn’t apply here at all.

People are people.
 
Yes, I was drawing an analogy and explaining how the situations are similar. Though you apparently think that states benefiting from condoning or encouraging illegal activity is okay. Good luck trying to maintain the Union under those circumstances. Knowing that foreigners in California are affecting national policy does not increase the legitimacy for the House of Representatives
 
Last edited:
Though you apparently think that states benefiting from condoning or encouraging illegal activity is okay.
I haven’t told you what I think. I’ve told you what I think the Constitution says about the situation.

I could argue that the illegal immigrants shouldn’t be counted for representation. I could argue green card holders shouldn’t be counted for representation.

But, the Constitution says count them.
 
The Constitution says that the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, but as we have seen the government can be rather “flexible” with the interpretation.
 
I filled out the census. I don’t remember a section asking for citizenship.

There was a section asking for ethnicity. I wanted to skip that but couldn’t.
Sure you can. And should. It is irrelevant to the constitutional mandate - a count. Enumeration for the singular purpose of apportionment.
The only relevant question is “how many people live at this residence”.

I have done the census since 1980. I have never answered any questions other than those about the number of people living where I live.

By the way: “Hispanic“ is not an ethnicity. It is a linguistic group. “Not Hispanic” is a nothing.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top