Trumpianity is a Weird Religion

• Thread starter Thread starter StudentMI
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think recognizing it as a religion is a step in the right direction.

I’m strangely heartened by the comments. I was expected anger and vitriol, but most of them seem to be on board with the premise.

. . . .

Last edited:
Super weird.
Pro life, celebrates Christian holidays, serves the people in prosperity, disengages to create peace around the globe… THIS CANNOT BE!!!

Super weird.
Pro life, celebrates Christian holidays, serves the people in prosperity, disengages to create peace around the globe… THIS CANNOT BE!!!
You’re missing the point.

No one is confused about why some Christians support Trump. You can make a Christian case for voting Trump. I disagree with it, but it’s not crazy.

What we’re criticizing is the tendency of some Trump supporters to almost deify him and to immediately believe whatever absurdity comes out of his mouth because The Great Trump said so.

Supporting him is one thing. Turning him into an idol is another.

What I find sad is that Trump has more followers on Twitter than the Pope.

The pope has numerous accounts in different languages, so his Twitter followers are spread among various accounts.

I have never heard a conservative confuse Trump with Jesus. This is just another attack by the left - the first step is to label you opponent…

Trump has shown respect for the sanctity of life more than many I know of including some Catholics I know. If you accuse others, let’s keep in mind the whole picture and, no, this includes immigrants and the death penalty as well for anyone making excuses. And, yes, some say modern day happenings in our country are sometimes even called genocide in regard to the right to life if one feels so righteous to condemn others.

Considering 1P5 is a super traditionalist website and has been roundly criticized for even posting the article, I’d say you did.
If’ it is Catholic, I am sure it defends the right to life. How are our own issues on that to be pointing fingers at others?

No, I have seen the term used on a variety of different sites lately, but I haven’t met anyone who self identifies as Trumpian.

And as far as those who are ardent Trump fans, I find them no more religiously cultish than those who bedeck themselves with pro sports teams merchandise.

US evangelical leader Beth Moore trends on Twitter after calling Trumpism “seductive and dangerous”

As supporters of US President Donald Trump’s allegations of voter fraud have persisted in questioning the results of the election five weeks since it was called for Joe Biden, some evangelical leaders have had enough.

Karen Swallow Prior, an evangelical author and professor, tweeted on Friday that she was ashamed to have voted for local and state GOP candidates, many of whom backed lawsuits challenging the election.

“What a bunch of money-grubbing, power hungry, partisan cowards who care nothing about conservatism,” Swallow Prior, a self-described life-long conservative, said in her tweet.

Author and columnist David French published a column Sunday on The Dispatch titled, “The Dangerous Idolatry of Christian Trumpism", maintaining that “the frenzy and the fury of the post-election period has laid bare the sheer idolatry and fanaticism of Christian Trumpism".

Perhaps most notably, Beth Moore, a popular Southern Baptist author and speaker, took to Twitter on Sunday to voice her frustration and seeming bewilderment at the Christian zeal for Trump, saying that in her more than 63 years, she has “never seen anything in these United States of America I found more astonishingly seductive & dangerous to the saints of God than Trumpism".

With a warning to her nearly one million followers that she would be blunt, the founder of Living Proof Ministries posted a thread in which she called on Christians to “move back” from Trumpism and insisted Christian nationalism “is not of God".

Moore had particularly strong words for her “fellow” Christian leaders, who she said have a responsibility for protecting their congregants.

“We will be held responsible for remaining passive in this day of seduction to save our own skin while the saints we’ve been entrusted to serve are being seduced, manipulated, USED and stirred up into a lather of zeal devoid of the Holy Spirit for political gain,” she tweeted.

Last edited:
I see it as TDS.
the movement is more about pushing basic conservative policy, not a fascination with Trump. Much of the GOP leadership was out of touch with their base (ie. Romney & McCain)

Last edited:
I see it as TDS.
the movement is more about pushing basic conservative policy, not a fascination with Trump. Much of the GOP leadership was out of touch with their base (ie. Romney & McCain)
I think we need to clarify here that we’re not talking about everyone who voted for Trump. Obviously, there are plenty of people who readily acknowledge Trump’s flaws but still felt there were compelling reasons to support him (and some of those reasons were quite reasonable.) Not talking about those folks.

We’re talking about the subset of Trump supporters who refuse to admit he’s ever done anything wrong or behaved badly, and now argue tooth and nail that Trump is still going to somehow mount a comeback and secure a second term. It’s that kind of blind devotion that, frankly, makes people believe patently stupid things.

I get that that may not describe you. You never struck me as the blind “cult of personality” type. But these people exist in frightening numbers. And to be fair, there are plenty of Democrats who treated Obama with similar levels of almost religious devotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back