A
allenirvan
Guest
"Again he writes: “And he was carried in His own hands (i Kings xxi. 13). Who
understands how this could come to pass in a man? For who is carried in his
own hands? A man can be carried in the hands of others, no one is carried in his
own hands. We have not understood how this may be understood literally of
David himself; but we have discovered (how it is fulfilled) in Christ. For Christ
was carried in His own hands when delivering His very Body He says: ‘This is My
Body’ (Matt. xxvi. 22; Mark xiv. 22; Luke xxii. 19). For He was carrying that
Body in His own hands “ (Enarr. in Ps. xxxiii. i, 10). It is alleged that He was
carrying a sign or figure of His Body, the sign receiving the name of the thing
signified. But if this is so, where is the wonder and portent. “No one is carried
in His own hands.” He returns to this theme again in Enarr. in Ps. xxxiii. ii. 2:
‘How was He carried in His hands? Because when He gave His own Body and His
own Blood, He took in His hands what the faithful know; and in a certain
manner (quodam modo) He carried Himself when He said, ‘This is My Body’.""
taken from patrickmadrid.com/Augustine_on_the_Eucharist.pdf
I’ve been trying to sort out the above quote. The “And he was carried in his own hands” part I cannot find in psalms, 1 kings, or 3 kings, all of which I’ve found listed as references for that passage. I’ve seen this often quoted in response to Calvinist’s idea that St. Augustine somehow shares a theology with then, but I don’t feel very comfortable using this quote without some decent reason why the passages don’t line up… Any thoughts?
understands how this could come to pass in a man? For who is carried in his
own hands? A man can be carried in the hands of others, no one is carried in his
own hands. We have not understood how this may be understood literally of
David himself; but we have discovered (how it is fulfilled) in Christ. For Christ
was carried in His own hands when delivering His very Body He says: ‘This is My
Body’ (Matt. xxvi. 22; Mark xiv. 22; Luke xxii. 19). For He was carrying that
Body in His own hands “ (Enarr. in Ps. xxxiii. i, 10). It is alleged that He was
carrying a sign or figure of His Body, the sign receiving the name of the thing
signified. But if this is so, where is the wonder and portent. “No one is carried
in His own hands.” He returns to this theme again in Enarr. in Ps. xxxiii. ii. 2:
‘How was He carried in His hands? Because when He gave His own Body and His
own Blood, He took in His hands what the faithful know; and in a certain
manner (quodam modo) He carried Himself when He said, ‘This is My Body’.""
taken from patrickmadrid.com/Augustine_on_the_Eucharist.pdf
I’ve been trying to sort out the above quote. The “And he was carried in his own hands” part I cannot find in psalms, 1 kings, or 3 kings, all of which I’ve found listed as references for that passage. I’ve seen this often quoted in response to Calvinist’s idea that St. Augustine somehow shares a theology with then, but I don’t feel very comfortable using this quote without some decent reason why the passages don’t line up… Any thoughts?