TV programming that does not support abortion

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sundiver
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it with the same lackluster discernment that you evaluate officials in an election? How you vote with your spending has an arguably greater impact than how you vote at the ballot.
How presumptuous of you to suggest that I do not know how to evaluate candidates for an election.
And how uncharitable for you to assume that my discernment is lackluster.

I think that speaks more about your character than mine.
 
I was able to see “The Two Popes” on netflix, it seems to be well reviewed but it seemed a bit slow moving to me. Netflix also has some other movie OR show on Pope Francis.

I brought up some of “Formed” 's movies, Browse - FORMED

This looks good. We will see.

If anyone has suggestions for any of Formed’s shows, I’d welcome hearing about it.

Yes, someone previously discussed negatives about netflix. I wasn’t paying that close of attention.
 
Last edited:
If you support Netflix, you will not be complicit in direct, material cooperation with evil. Unless you choose to live like the Amish and make everything yourself, (not to mention avoid movies), you’ll never have complete control over who funds what. I do not drive myself crazy wondering about where people spend the money they earn from me.

Now if someone is going out of their way to promote abortion on demand, (here’s an example), then they lose my business.
 
You missed the point, Bomb. The person doesn’t want to spend money supporting a business that donates to abortion-related causes.

Also, even if this was a case of “views”, the Church is not ever going to change its position that abortion is wrong. It’s murder. It’s perfectly reasoable if a Catholic doesn’t want to listen to people advocate for abortion.
 
OP, I think blackforest is right that unless you live like the Amish, you’ll have a hard time finding a company that’s never donated to Planned Parenthood.

However, if you wish to avoid paid streaming services, you have several alternatives:
  1. Limit your viewing to Catholic/ Christian outlets like Formed, EWTN, and Pureflix;
  2. Watch old movies that are in the public domain (lots of these on the Internet, free to watch);
  3. See if your library can hook you up with a free Kanopy subscription - lots of good documentaries and films on there, and all you need is a library card.
 
Last edited:
Hello everyone. We were about to sign up for Netflix because the movie theaters are shut down. However, someone told us that Netflix supports abortion.

Does anyone know of a movie and TV service like Netflix that does not support abortion?
Why can’t we have news and entertainment media that does not support all this crap?
I wish a billionaire conservative would start a conservative news and entertainment network.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks.
We have to be sensible about this.
If we had to avoid every company that held views contrary to Catholic teaching then we would end up living in a cave in a desert just drinking water.
 
Glen Beck’s “The Blaze” TV network is one I am familiar with. I think Mark Levin has his own network as well.
Sure I follow Glen Beck a lot. Mark Levin comes on Hannity.
I, also, listen to music from the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s.
I think Trump could start a network. He seems to be interested. He mentioned that he wants to have his own radio talk show.
 
I’ve seen traditionalist Catholics promote this or that speaker on YouTube, despite the fact that YouTube as a platform includes and profits from truly evil content. It always seems to me quite arbitrary - which evil companies must we protest? Walmart, I guarantee you, is somewhere along its supply chain, involved with evil practices… why isn’t Walmart boycotted? Like I said, always seems extremely arbitrary.

How do you source your carrots? Even if you grow them in your backyard, how do you source the seeds? Will you swear to me that you’ve done extensive and detailed research to ensure that evil was not supported at any point along that supply chain?
 
Last edited:
living in a cave
I do live in a cave. Just kidding. But, not far from the truth.
I do ,constantly, look for truth everywhere. It is like a desert in this world. My mind and soul are like a sponge to drink the truth.
 
Last edited:
None of those individuals you just listed have committed or promoted evil? Trump has boldly and openly committed many objectively grave sins in the public view… he even made a cameo in a porno decades ago. So I don’t really understand your criteria here. It occurs to me that you’re not really looking at this from a Catholic perspective but rather from a strictly American conservative vs liberal perspective.
 
If we had to avoid every company that held views contrary to Catholic teaching then we would end up living in a cave in a desert just drinking water.
Obviously there is a middle ground.
 
Trump has boldly and openly committed many objectively grave sins in the public view…
I think Trump has repented. But, that is a personal observation. We don’t know what is in a person’s heart. We are not the eternal judge. He seems to fight for God and religion. " We will know them by their fruits." We don’t have much to go by.
 
Last edited:
That’s a bit of a smear on Trump, appearing in a “porn film”, really? Some cameo for some sort of playboy film??

Deep Purple the band, appeared on playboy afterdark. Am I going to call that a pron show? I’d be a bit guarded in hearing such comments.

If one uses this tact, believe me, things can be said for other presidents, perhaps worse, Trump start a war? No. Trump ship firearms to Mexico killing innocents? No.
 
Last edited:
40.png
twf:
Trump has boldly and openly committed many objectively grave sins in the public view…
I think Trump has repented.
 
Well it’s factually true- but it wasn’t really a smear on Trump. My point was that the OP was saying we should reject Netflix etc because of evil activities supported by the company and then suggested Trump should create a show we could support. I was challenging the notion that “conservative media” = good and “liberal media” = evil.

My point was that I can enjoy Netflix and the OP can enjoy a hypothetical Trump show - and enjoying neither is necessarily sinful. The OP seemed to be saying that enjoying Netflix is automatically wrong while enjoying a hypothetical Trump show is automatically good.
 
Last edited:
What is the difference between an informed moral conscience and a ,“view.” I hear liberals say this all the time. It sounds subjective like they believe morality can change based on our personal whims.
 
I think there are two things being conflated in this thread that deserve a distinction. There are companies which support immoral behavior by sending their profits in that direction, and then there are companies which promote immoral behavior by, for example, producing content which features and glorifies that immoral behavior.

It does not take a genius to see that Netflix falls into the latter category. (This does not exclude the former.) Netflix carries content such as Orange is the New Black, which glorifies violent prison life and transsexuality, and The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, which outright glorifies and promotes Satanism and occultism. I could continue with far more series featured on Netflix, such as Big Mouth, an unspeakably obscene animated show targeting children. They produce their own content in-house for some time now, so it’s not merely a question of having contractual obligations to carry objectionable material, they’re turning it out independently of any other studio as well.

And that’s the real problem with Netflix, which far outweighs the possibility that their profits may go to support abortion facilities. If Netflix is glorifying intrinsically evil things such as transsexualism, Satanism, and abortion, by dint of their programming, then I would say that is not a service fit to be allowed into my home, ever, under any circumstance, period, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

I have plenty to watch already on FORMED.ORG, so pardon me if I don’t subscribe to the immoral Netflix.
 
Last edited:
I already acknowledged this valid point earlier in the thread. I responded by reminding the member that this thread pertained to Netflix in particular. A company in such a category hardly falls within the realm of necessity. As for the ones which we depend on for food, water, fire, shelter, etc… we do our best, obviously. Often times we are forced to balance the scale and pick our battles. At least those of us who don’t just throw our hands up in the air and give up on such considerations altogether. In any case, to assert that it simply makes no difference and any effort at discernment is useless is simply weak, in my own humble opinion.
 
Last edited:
Does every thread have to turn into a discussion of The Donald?
Well Trump did mention that he wants to have his own talk show. Rush Limbaugh invited Trump to fill in for him on some days. I think it would be incredible.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top