TV programs that are OKAY for Catholics to watch

  • Thread starter Thread starter happymommy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Modern Family is one of my favorite shows at the moment. Every character is so well written, and they’re all funny.
 
I’ve been watching The Fosters and Switched at Birth on ABC Family only because my wife watches. Both seem to have varying degrees of liberal view points. The Fosters are two lesbian parents adopting multiple children: perfect same sex marriage fan show.

A few of the actors from each show really stand out even though the writing and story lines are poor in my opinion. I would love to hear an alternative viewpoint but I would stay away from these shows as bad TV: both morally (overtly support liberal political movements and disparage conservatives) and artistically. Other than that, it’s neat to try and get inside politically liberal artists heads.

The moral choices, although poor, are sometimes interesting because they have little basis or instruction from an objective standard. Sadly, much of society operates this way so shows like these could be painting a picture on how they operate and give us a way to communicate with them. Of course, the alternative would be just to talk to and get to know real people!
 
Doctor Who, which is ironic since it’s current showrunner is an atheist. Some fringe supporting characters (who aren’t in most episodes) are gay, but there are a lot of strong themes of tolerance and kindness in it. It’s more of the ‘accepting people despite being different’ variety than per se promoting gay marriage or promoting an agenda.

A lot of people confuse having a gay character/characters on a show to automatically mean a show is ‘bad’ or ‘innappropriate’. A show can have violence occur in it without intending to promote violence, and a show with a non-Catholic or other religious characters isn’t automatically meant as a condemnation against other religions per se. Sometimes it is meant to promote the idea of accepting people despite their differences or sins, which is certainly is a good thing.

The Church itself isn’t even portrayed as negative in the show, in at least the ones I have seen. In two episodes featuring a group of preachers (who for reasons I don’t recall are all dressed like soldiers inexplicably), they aren’t portrayed as villainous or negatively. In fact, one of them, Father Octavian, actually gets what I consider to be the most dignified death scene in the entire series:
Father Octavian: I die in the knowledge that my courage did not desert me at the end. For that I thank God, and bless the path that leads you away to safety.
The Doctor: I wish I could have got to know you better
Father Octavian: I think, sir… you knew me at my best.
The Doctor: Ready?
Father Octavian: Content.
The Eighth Doctor even quotes the Bible directly upon his death, “Physician heal thyself”.
 
Mother Theresa said of the television that it was the tabernacle of Satan and that every home will have one. She was correct.

The monks at the monastery near me keep a TV so that they can get news of world events that they need to pray about like the miners in Chile who were trapped in the mine and were rescued through the intercession of the Blessed Virgin. They are allowed to watch one hour of TV per week and that is usually NOVA or Planet Earth or another documentary about God’s creation.

I watch the British version of Top Gear and mostly listen to music on the TV. I don’t even know why I pay for it

-Tim-
 
Anything on EWTN. Old food network shows like Unwrapped. Mysteries at the museum on Travel channel (though there have been occultism items like possessed dolls but that was awhile back).

Most of Once Upon A Time on ABC (some season 1 episodes have implied adult material but nothing tv-14). Season 3 on hiatus until March 9th.
 
Most of Once Upon A Time on ABC (some season 1 episodes have implied adult material but nothing tv-14). Season 3 on hiatus until March 9th.
I thought that show was done for once they started that ‘Once Upon a Time in Wonderland’ show. I really liked the first season, but in my opinion they started getting ridiculous in season two when they veered away from fairy tales and just started using any literary figure they could think of.

Oops, derailed the thread a little! :o
 
Mother Theresa said of the television that it was the tabernacle of Satan and that every home will have one. She was correct.

The monks at the monastery near me keep a TV so that they can get news of world events that they need to pray about like the miners in Chile who were trapped in the mine and were rescued through the intercession of the Blessed Virgin. They are allowed to watch one hour of TV per week and that is usually NOVA or Planet Earth or another documentary about God’s creation.

I watch the British version of Top Gear and mostly listen to music on the TV. I don’t even know why I pay for it

-Tim-
There’s a not-British version of Top Gear?

Also, that bit about Once Upon a Time, Supernatural is good…up until Season 4. After that point they kind of start going into Biblical stuff (well, they already had demons but this is where they start introducing the idea of Angels and etc) which isn’t necessarily accurate. Like at all. If you’re willing to accept the changes are more for the sake the plot convenience and not take it personally you should be fine. Because it takes some notable creative license.
 
I don’t know if anyone has mentioned “The Artful Detective” on Ovation. No sleaze. The hero is a straight-up, openly Catholic detective. It’s set in the late 19th or early 20th Century in Toronto. Among the interesting aspects of it are the expositions of forensic science, forensic medicine, and the casual introduction of historical characters like Niccola Tesla, Jack London and Harry Houdini. One gets introduced to things like the Boer War (Canadians too fought in it) and the visit of Queen Victoria to Canada. It’s a bit like “Young Indiana Jones” was in that way. Lots of history woven in.

It’s just about the only show my wife and I watch. For some reason, the DVDs (which one can buy) are entitled “The Murdoch Mysteries”. Our 14-year-old granddaughter is absolutely in love with those shows, so we bought her some of the DVDs because they can’t get Ovation on their very basic TV setup. Her parents are very strict in what they let their kids watch, but “The Murdoch Mysteries” are A-okay with them.
 
I don’t know if anyone has mentioned “The Artful Detective” on Ovation. No sleaze. The hero is a straight-up, openly Catholic detective. It’s set in the late 19th or early 20th Century in Toronto. Among the interesting aspects of it are the expositions of forensic science, forensic medicine, and the casual introduction of historical characters like Niccola Tesla, Jack London and Harry Houdini. One gets introduced to things like the Boer War (Canadians too fought in it) and the visit of Queen Victoria to Canada. It’s a bit like “Young Indiana Jones” was in that way. Lots of history woven in.

It’s just about the only show my wife and I watch. For some reason, the DVDs (which one can buy) are entitled “The Murdoch Mysteries”. Our 14-year-old granddaughter is absolutely in love with those shows, so we bought her some of the DVDs because they can’t get Ovation on their very basic TV setup. Her parents are very strict in what they let their kids watch, but “The Murdoch Mysteries” are A-okay with them.
I’ve never heard of that show before. It sounds very interesting. I’ll have to check it out from the library. 🙂 Thanks!
 
Full House- I like this show I believe it is one of the classic conservative shows of The US that we don’t have anymore. I like the messages that it portrays.

Home Improvement- I like Tim Allen he is one of my favorite comedians and most of his movies are family orientated. I like to think of him like a family guy unlike the show Family Guy:D

7th heaven- I used to watch this show all the time with my mom and my sister. I like this show because all though it might not be Catholic at least it has religion as one of its main topics.
How about a blank TV screen?😃
 
How about a blank TV screen?😃
Not the worst idea. DirecTV has these “music only” channels one can turn on while one does whatever work at home one needs to do or simply to read or talk. There is one that is symphonic and one that’s light classical, and I like listening to them. There used to be a “pops” one that had very fun music like Rossini and lighter selections from Mozart and Beethoven, as well as things like “Rhapsody in Blue”. But it seems to have disappeared.😦
 
Not the worst idea. DirecTV has these “music only” channels one can turn on while one does whatever work at home one needs to do or simply to read or talk. There is one that is symphonic and one that’s light classical, and I like listening to them. There used to be a “pops” one that had very fun music like Rossini and lighter selections from Mozart and Beethoven, as well as things like “Rhapsody in Blue”. But it seems to have disappeared.😦
How about THE WEATHER CHANNEL? Didn’t DirecTV remove that from their lineup?😛
 
Anything on EWTN.

Call the Midwife

Alien Nation
(it hasn’t aired on television in years, but you can find it on DVD and on YouTube; the human detective, Sikes, was a Catholic and saw a lot of his own faith in Tenctonese practice. NOT for kids)

Home Improvement

Little House on the Prairie


Anything on INSP, come to think of it.

My favorite these days? Mother Angelica Live Classics!
 
Certainly from mine. But maybe we both only have the cheap, basic version. 🙂
I was thinking they pulled Weather Channel completely or were going to. Weather Channel was spearheading a petition to try and stop Directv from pulling them. :confused:
 
Lost
NCIS
America’s Funniest Home Videos
Downton Abbey
The Middle
The Food Network
HGTV
EWTN
Wheel of Fortune
Price is Right
The Hallmark Channel
Once Upon a Time

That’s just off the top of my head.
Doesn’t Once Upon a Time and Lost promote violence and witches and stuff, isn’t that considered a sin? Just wondering to make sure what to watch and whats not to watch.
 
Doesn’t Once Upon a Time and Lost promote violence and witches and stuff, isn’t that considered a sin? Just wondering to make sure what to watch and whats not to watch.
Lost portrays violence, but I definitely wouldn’t say that it promotes violence.

Once Upon a Time promotes witches as much as any other fairy tale upon which they draw their characters from. 🤷 If you have a problem with movies like Snow White or Sleeping Beauty, then you would also have a problem with Once Upon a Time. If you recognize the distinction between fantasy fairy tales and the occult, then there shouldn’t be a problem.
 
Doesn’t Once Upon a Time and Lost promote violence and witches and stuff, isn’t that considered a sin?
No it is not. Being a witch is a sin. Watching a show with a witch is not. Torturing and killing someone is a sin. Watching a movie where Jesus is tortured and killed is not.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top