Twin bombs kill 30 at pro-Kurdish rally in Turkish capital

  • Thread starter Thread starter pepipop
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pepipop

Guest
reuters.com/article/2015/10/10/us-turkey-explosion-idUSKCN0S407020151010

*At least 30 people were killed when twin explosions hit a rally of hundreds of pro-Kurdish and leftist activists outside Ankara’s main train station on Saturday in what the government described as a terrorist attack, weeks ahead of an election.

A Reuters reporter saw bodies covered by flags and banners, including those of the pro-Kurdish opposition Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP), with bloodstains and body parts scattered on the road. The interior ministry said 30 people were killed and 126 wounded.

Witnesses said the two explosions happened seconds apart shortly after 1000 am as crowds gathered for a planned march to protest over a conflict between Turkish security forces and Kurdish militants in the southeast.

There were no claims of responsibility for the attack.*
 
The situation between the Turks and Kurds is escalating, and some people like Ted Cruz think we need to provide the Kurds with better weapons. And then what ? NATO member USA can declare a no fly zone over the Kurds and threaten to shootdown NATO member Turkey’s aircraft when they come to bomb them ?
 
The situation between the Turks and Kurds is escalating, and some people like Ted Cruz think we need to provide the Kurds with better weapons. And then what ? NATO member USA can declare a no fly zone over the Kurds and threaten to shootdown NATO member Turkey’s aircraft when they come to bomb them ?
Yep…that sounds like a plan. :hmmm:
 
Who does such a bombing help? A bit interesting at that.

Especially with Russian bombing missions in Syria reportedly aiding ISIS and Al Qaeda.
 
The situation between the Turks and Kurds is escalating, and some people like Ted Cruz think we need to provide the Kurds with better weapons. And then what ? NATO member USA can declare a no fly zone over the Kurds and threaten to shootdown NATO member Turkey’s aircraft when they come to bomb them ?
It’s really disturbing to see people plotting against my country.
 
Wait just a minute! It is now 5 p.m. and the news reports nearly 100 people were killed at a PEACE RALLY! The video shows a crowd of peaceful protesters with their flags and song, parading along with many following. Next an explosion is heard and towards the rear of the screen pictured, smoke and disturbance occurs, people begin running, screaming and crying.

These people came together to promote peaceful relations between the Kurdish and Turkey peoples. So far, no terrorist group has claimed their usual gloating. It is thought that a suicide bomber/bombers were to blame. It is important to not deny the good intent of this peaceful protest on behalf of those murdered and wounded.

The terrorists purpose is to disrupt and cause further animosity between people. Those yelling “its the Kurds, or, its Turkey” may have ulterior motives for blaming.
 
Kurds have proven time and again to be the best ally that America has had in the region.

That kind of loyalty to America is something that a president like Obama will never fully be able to get behind or trust.

To the extent that the people of the ME cannot fully accept Kurds in their midst is the extent that the dream of a pluralistic society in the ME is a dead one.
 
Wait just a minute! It is now 5 p.m. and the news reports nearly 100 people were killed at a PEACE RALLY! The video shows a crowd of peaceful protesters with their flags and song, parading along with many following. Next an explosion is heard and towards the rear of the screen pictured, smoke and disturbance occurs, people begin running, screaming and crying.

These people came together to promote peaceful relations between the Kurdish and Turkey peoples. So far, no terrorist group has claimed their usual gloating. It is thought that a suicide bomber/bombers were to blame. It is important to not deny the good intent of this peaceful protest on behalf of those murdered and wounded.

The terrorists purpose is to disrupt and cause further animosity between people. Those yelling “its the Kurds, or, its Turkey” may have ulterior motives for blaming.
sad isn’t it? praying for the souls of the departed.
 
Who does such a bombing help? A bit interesting at that.

Especially with Russian bombing missions in Syria reportedly aiding ISIS and Al Qaeda.
Exactly. Perhaps some grieving or angry Turkish ex-military did this, but as far as I can discern it wouldn’t be in Turkey’s best interest to do this.🤷
 
Actually, I should not have spoken, this is a great tragedy with the death toll nearing 100.

This was one very powerful bomb.

There was a bomb that went off in Chad in today’s news killing over 30, I believe a bombing happened in Bagdad this past week, way too much of this.

I think a prior bombing in the past few months happened against the Kurds, I forget where, Iraq or Turkey, so I thought they would be wary of having such a large assembly. That other bombing was more in the range of killing 20 or 30.

What is interesting is that there have been strong protests in Iraq Kurdistan in the past 2 days.

Ekurd is helpful for Kurdish news.
Protests in Iraqi Kurdistan urge Massoud Barzani to quit
ekurd.net/kurdistan-protests-urge-barzani-quit-2015-10-10
Kurdistan region ‘Iraq’,— Thousands of people took to the streets of several towns in Iraq’s Kurdistan region on Saturday, urging its long-time president Massoud Barzani to step down.
Scuffles broke out in Sulaimani, a bastion of opposition to Barzani and his party, a day after two people were killed in a protest in another southern Kurdish town.
“Barzani, leave!” demonstrators chanted in Sulaimani, as a wave of protests demanding the payment of long-overdue salaries for civil servants turned political.
So one can go to this website to see what they are saying: ekurd.net/

This is curious as well and was just posted:
Two Kurdish protesters shot dead in Kalar, Iraqi Kurdistan
ekurd.net/kurdish-protesters-shot-dead-in-iraqi-kurdistan-2015-10-11
KALAR, Kurdistan region ‘Iraq’,— Kurdish guards shot dead two demonstrators in the Kurdish town of Kalar in Iraqi Kurdistan Saturday as protesters tried to storm the local headquarters of the regional president’s party, a hospital spokesman said.
“Two protesters have died of bullet wounds. One was 19 and the other 40,” the official told AFP.
 
I know they arrested some people. Those people are accused of being ISIS collaborators or ISIS themselves.

I also know I heard a complaint that the police security were not checking everyone attending that rally.

I also would have been wary as a Kurd going to the rally in that the bombing in Suruc in July happened at a large assembly: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Suru%C3%A7_bombing

The PKK may not be much of a Terrorist group by our standards but they do kill Turkish soldiers, they have used IEDs on them and the like and there are plenty of stories on that.

I have no idea what it’s like over there, I think a great number of Turks would like to be like Western Europe or Europe, fairly free, if we are talking about Spain, Norway, wherever.

All in all, I think I support and definitely still sympathize with the Kurds.

One can see a map of whom controls what of Syria now, Kurdistan is mostly on the border with Turkey but there is one area ISIS controls; maybe the ISIS terrorists do come through there, I think most people see that.
 
I know they arrested some people. Those people are accused of being ISIS collaborators or ISIS themselves.

I also know I heard a complaint that the police security were not checking everyone attending that rally.

I also would have been wary as a Kurd going to the rally in that the bombing in Suruc in July happened at a large assembly: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Suru%C3%A7_bombing

The PKK may not be much of a Terrorist group by our standards but they do kill Turkish soldiers, they have used IEDs on them and the like and there are plenty of stories on that.

I have no idea what it’s like over there, I think a great number of Turks would like to be like Western Europe or Europe, fairly free, if we are talking about Spain, Norway, wherever.

All in all, I think I support and definitely still sympathize with the Kurds.

One can see a map of whom controls what of Syria now, Kurdistan is mostly on the border with Turkey but there is one area ISIS controls; maybe the ISIS terrorists do come through there, I think most people see that.
Oh, I loved the people when I was over there. Turks are great, and I like the Armenians and Circassians I’ve known, too. I sympathize with the Kurds, but I don’t entirely understand the situation over there. I focused all my attention on personal relationships with friends, and basically ignored politics as much as humanly possible. I tend to do that.🤷
 
The article reads that the law has to be followed per keeping eyes on suspects that who it turned out, did the bombings.
Police Ignored Turkey’s ISIS Teahouse of Death
ISTANBUL — Turkey’s police and intelligence services may have ignored a wave of warnings about potential suicide bombers from the so-called Islamic State that could have prevented the deadly blasts in Ankara that killed almost 102 people last weekend. And many of those warnings centered on a tea house about a 90 minute drive from the Syrian border that was known to be a way station, or worse, for ISIS recruits.
Critics say the authorities’ refusal to move against members of ISIS cells in the country amounted to covert support for the jihadists. “We are not talking about failure here, but about intent,” said opposition lawmaker Veli Agbaba. “People we identified months ago are now killing our young. There is only one explanation: [the government] not seeing ISIS as a terrorist organization.”
Turkey frequently has been accused of supporting radical Islamic groups in neighboring Syria in the hope that rebels will bring down President Bashar al-Assad. The government refused to help Syrian Kurds break a siege by ISIS in the northern Syrian city of Kobane last year and waited until July to join the U.S.-led military alliance against ISIS. Since then, Turkish warplanes have conducted far more airstrikes against Kurdish rebels than against ISIS positions.
Ankara says it regards ISIS as a threat and denies providing weapons to any group in Syria. Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu told a television interviewer on Thursday that he and President Recep Tayyip Erdogan were the prime targets of ISIS online threats. “They even issued a killing order,” he said. “They declared Turkey a war zone.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top