Two Big Questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrooklynBoy200
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BrooklynBoy200

Guest
Ok, i’m about to sound like a complete idiot now. Here are two questions:
  1. What is original sin? ( i thought i knew what it was but now i’ve been hearing differant versions)
  2. What is the CCC? ( this one i probably know but i don’t recognize the abbreviation. if it is one…if not then i’m just stupid)
I’m sorry for my questions…
 
(1) It probably is what you thought it was

(2) Catechism of the Catholic Church
 
Well i thought it was the thing with Adam and Eve. But now i’m being taught that it is sex.
 
So it is the Adam and Eve thing?
Yes-the fact that they ate the apple from the tree of knowledge of good and evil against God’s command. And the fact that this act tainted all of humanity with original sin, which is absolved by baptism.
 
Original Sin can refer to two things.
  1. The actual sin of Adam and Eve for eating the apple.
  2. The state of orginal sin that all humans are born directly into.
The CCC
is the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
 
They say that the apple was metaphorical and that Eve was the forbiddon fruit…
 
You said you’re being “taught” that it was sex. By who, may I ask?
 
Well i thought it was the thing with Adam and Eve. But now i’m being taught that it is sex.
Well I heard a Protestant minister say once that it had more to do with a pair on the ground than an apple on the tree.

While that may be witty, I don’t particularly hold to it. (the Protestants can be little strange…some of them don’t even like dancing 😉 )

Sex is a wonderful gift from God and a part of Creation.

The sin of Adam & Eve, like Lucifer before them, was over weaning pride.

As a young man I used to rail against the unfairness of “original sin”. Why, I asked should I be held accountable for something someone else did?

Then a man explain to me that what Adam & Even did is sort of like what would happen if you had very rich parents and they went and bet everything on the craps table an lost. You are now denied the rich heritage you could have had. The preternatural gifts… the everlasting life. So now we have to do it the hard way.

It is not the best of similes but I’m no theologian.
:o
 
Well I heard a Protestant minister say once that it had more to do with a pair on the ground than an apple on the tree.

While that may be witty, I don’t particularly hold to it. (the Protestants can be little strange…some of them don’t even like dancing 😉 )

Sex is a wonderful gift from God and a part of Creation.

The sin of Adam & Eve, like Lucifer before them, was over weaning pride.

As a young man I used to rail against the unfairness of “original sin”. Why, I asked should I be held accountable for something someone else did?

Then a man explain to me that what Adam & Even did is sort of like what would happen if you had very rich parents and they went and bet everything on the craps table an lost. You are now denied the rich heritage you could have had. The preternatural gifts… the everlasting life. So now we have to do it the hard way.

It is not the best of similes but I’m no theologian.
:o
I think it’s a great way of looking at it
and i just showed my parents this catholic q&a thing so now they believe me
 
40.png
BrooklynBoy200:
My parents
Maybe they are trying to protect your youthful purity?

Sigh. I’ll bet they’re in their 30s or 40s. Be patient with them. Catholics of that age were largely left uncatechized or incorrectly catechized . . .

We have a lot of catching up to do.
 
In all fairness to mom and dad here, there is a theological theory floating around that the sin in the garden was of a sexual nature (not standard garden variety sex like God intended). I don’t know for sure who started the theory or who promotes it, but this is far from the first time I have heard it float by. (and i don’t want to publish the name I have heard associated with it since the evidence at my disposal is so … nonexistent) Perhaps mom & dad are repeating the latest theology.
 
Brooklyn,
Original sin is about trusting God. When we trust, we are obedient to God.

More than anything else Adam and Eve were guilty of not trusting God. The serpent tells them they will not die and they will be as Gods are(all knowing). So disobedience, distrust, pridefulness in thinking they could be Gods… all wrapped into one. It can be summed up by their lack of trust and so by their sin they did bring death to us all, physical and spiritual. We are born with original sin…a lack of trust in God.

Why do they call Mary the new Eve? Because she trusted and obeyed God when he asked her to play a part in our salvation. She was born without original sin and trusted God fully.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top