A
angel12
Guest
He never warned against hoping people don’t go there.Jesus warned against hell.
He never warned against hoping people don’t go there.Jesus warned against hell.
This passage alone is enough to dispense with the idea that we should have a reasonable hope that all will be saved and hell could be empty.“Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few.
Matthew 7:13-14
I didn’t read through all the comments in this thread but this from Bishop Barron’s is something I have never heard in Catholic theology before.“It has even been proposed that heaven and hell are the same “place”, but inhabited by people of entirely opposite dispositions.”
Jesus spoke of hell as a wide path that many will take, a place where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. He also spoke of the lake of fire.we must accept the possibility of hell
Well, as must be often pointed out, they aren’t “places” at all. They are not physical destinations as we picture them which can be spatially located somewhere “out there”.Heaven and hell are the same place?
So in your opinion that passage must determine a quantity of people that are going to hell?“Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few.
Matthew 7:13-14
Do you believe the majority of Church thought backs that reading?
I can easily see the idea which has been presented. The Church does not teach that hell is a destination replete with torturous demons prodding us with pitch forks and roasting us over fiery pits.
Okay remembering your comments are your opinions and not Catholic teaching.the vastness of the universe is going to be inhabited by all of us, some who embrace the love of God, and some who wish to be removed from it.
Careful here, you might be a little close to being one of those workers who worked the whole day and complained about people who showed up at the end of the day getting the same pay. If Hitler ends up in heaven, it is because he repented at the last moment and chose God. Is there anything unjust about that?I’ll tell you this. If people are not in hell, then I dont want any part of an unjust heaven… so, where would I go?
We can pray for those who have died and hope that in their last seconds they repented but for some people it would have to be just that, a very last second contrition and repentance. Take for instance someone while on a killing spree shot and killed in action by police.I think it is a logical theology to hope that any given person repented before death.
Not a given quantity, as in an actual number. However, it does elude to how fewer in number are those who find heaven vs those who don’t.So in your opinion that passage must determine a quantity of people that are going to hell?
Do you believe the majority of Church thought backs that reading?
I do agree that it is possible and it more than likely happens, but I do not hold the belief that it happens to everyone, which is why we are asked to pray for others, including the deceased…No doubt, but I think it was Bishop Sheen who I heard say that one can hope that a person who committed suicide repented between the time he pulled the trigger and the bullet entered his brain. Nothing is impossible with God ( and time is relative ).
Yes, if anything the argument that more people end up in hell than heaven is a much stronger argument than “hell is empty”. I think this is just a sign of the times and a consequence of sin, especially mortal sin, being deemphasized in today’s Church. People want to believe that everyone is going to heaven, or is more than likely going to heaven. When in fact the scriptures say the exact opposite. But it’s not popular or cool to say that people could be damned nowadays.“Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few.
Matthew 7:13-14