U.S. nurse says dying COVID-19 patients spent last minutes insisting virus isn't real

• Thread starter Thread starter The_Old_Maid
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The_Old_Maid

U.S. nurse says dying COVID-19 patients spent last minutes insisting virus isn’t real
Jodi Doering said she has been screamed at by patients who accuse her of using “magic medicine,” who repeatedly tell her there must be another reason why they are sick “all while gasping for air.”

“They call you names and ask why you have to wear all that ‘stuff’ because they don’t have COVID because it’s not real,” she said in the thread, published Friday.
Very hard on the nurses especially, as they do the daily care.

The person who brought this thread to my attention is not a poster on CAF; they post somewhere else. His quote:
Had a guy in the ICU with COVID. His wife would call in and basically taunt his nurse of the day with stories about how she was visiting friends or going out to eat. (Because COVID wasn’t real and he didn’t have it and she didn’t have it and we were all being played by… the Chinese or something).

This was last summer. He ended up fine-ish. She probably did have it based on some of the symptoms she was describing, but wouldn’t get tested or cooperate with the contact tracers. Or she was lying just to try and deliberately upset the nurses taking care of her beloved husband. Who knows?
So apparently this is not an isolated incident.

Fear is real, and denial isn’t just a river in Egypt. I don’t have an explanation for the taunting, though.

If mods think this should be in the prayer request forum instead , it’s okay to move it.

Covid is undoubtedly real. I just had it.

I’ve had worse hangovers though. This stuff is so overblown. There’s a small percentage of people severely effected by it. For most it’s a bad cold.

The problem is, there doesn’t seem to be a way to tell if you’re going to be severely affected or not without getting it. It’s a Russian roulette of a disease. I know about four people so far who’ve gotten it and all of them have basically had bad colds, including the guy in his 60s with multiple health problems who gets heart surgery for a chronic condition every few years. But friends of mine have known relatively young people who died from it.

I’m pretty sure at this point there’s something genetic in play and it will take them a few more years of research to figure out what.

The problem is, there doesn’t seem to be a way to tell if you’re going to be severely affected or not without getting it.
Pretty much the same with every single other communicable disease, some cancers, etc.

The vast majority of communicable diseases these days are either extinct or there’s a vaccine for them. People don’t know how to handle it anymore when there’s a disease out there that can kill you and there’s no vaccine. It used to be just a normal feature of life right up to the 1960s.

Covid is undoubtedly real. I just had it.

I’ve had worse hangovers though. This stuff is so overblown. There’s a small percentage of people severely effected by it. For most it’s a bad cold.
When was the last time hospitals and ICU’s in the majority of major cities were at capacity or beyond? It’s obviously a problem condition. That’s with people doing masks and social distancing. Without that it would be even worse.

I heard from a coworker today whose wife works at a major hospital in Hackensack that whereas they had 50 patients n the COVID ward last week, now they have 500.

I don’t dispute there’s a lot of people that get it bad. What I do dispute is that the percentage of people who get it bad is enough to justify this response when taking into account the entire picture of what life means and what it takes for a society to function properly.

To expand on this.

Roughly 3 million people die every year in the US.

The vast and overwhelming majority of Covid deaths are people who were going to die in the near term. Maybe they died in September instead of December. Or March instead of august. Regardless, while sad, it doesn’t really change much in the grand scheme of things.

Our mortality rate this year is not out line with previous years, which has grown about 1.1% the last 2 years, which is down from a few years prior.

Last edited:
The problem is, there doesn’t seem to be a way to tell if you’re going to be severely affected or not without getting it. It’s a Russian roulette of a disease. I know about four people so far who’ve gotten it and all of them have basically had bad colds, including the guy in his 60s with multiple health problems who gets heart surgery for a chronic condition every few years. But friends of mine have known relatively young people who died from it.

I’m pretty sure at this point there’s something genetic in play and it will take them a few more years of research to figure out what.
Actually there is a way to predict those who are at greatest risk - those with underlying health conditions … especially lung issues, being overweight and diabetic …

It is always sad when young people die but we also need to have context. So in a year when the populations has had the greatest amount of care over contagious disease … lock downs, limited access to all things normal - eating out, shopping, movies, museums, entertainment parks, in person school and work … masks, social distancing, hand washing, etc …

COVID Deaths [USA] for those 21 and younger as of September 15th was 121 … with no vaccine. Of those 121 75% of whom at at least one underlying medical condition, and the most frequently reported conditions were chronic lung disease such as asthma, obesity, neurologic conditions and cardiovascular conditions.

Flu Deaths [USA] for those 17 and younger as of August 21st was 188 … with a vaccine. Of those 43.4% had a underlying medical condition. AND with flu - those with high risk medical conditions are encouraged to obtain vaccinations and where only about 21% of children are fully vaccinated.

So with a virus where we have a vaccine and during a year where so much extra care to prevent illness has been imposed which had to impact and lessen the numbers of people contracting the flu - more children contracted and died of flu than Covid

Actually there is a way to predict those who are at greatest risk - those with underlying health conditions … especially lung issues, being overweight and diabetic …
The people I’m talking about who died weren’t in those categories. Nor are the people I know with mild cases all paragons of health. The one guy is in such poor health due to his chronic illnesses, I’d have expected him to die. He didn’t even go to the hospital.

We don’t know the whole story. That’s just how it is. Anybody who claims that we do is incorrect.

Leaving this thread now.

Last edited:
I’m still not sure when it became considered acceptable journalism to turn anonymously reported anecdotes into news stories.

I definitely take COVID seriously. I’d just like to see more professional coverage of it.

The people I’m talking about who died weren’t in those categories. Nor are the people I know with mild cases all paragons of health. The one guy is in such poor health due to his chronic illnesses, I’d have expected him to die. He didn’t even go to the hospital.

We don’t know the whole story. That’s just how it is. Anybody who claims that we do is incorrect.

Leaving this thread now.
Sorry to see you leave … I dont deny that some exceptions might exist - but they are few - very few. That is why they are exceptions or out of the norm.

I hear many people report on the numbers children who die of Covid … but alas the numbers are very low - much lower than for the Flu … I was just providing the perspective.

I work wild fire assignments - every year “Camp Crud” is known to impact fire camp. Long hours, hard work, communal living and eating in primitive conditions, porta-potties, portable showers, foot pump cold water hand washing stations - you get the picture and can understand that “Camp Crud” is real and not unexpected - all things considered. This year saw far fewer instances of “Camp Crud”. In fact with all the Covid protocols many fires saw zero cases of “Camp Crud” and no Covid. One has to believe that all the Covid protocols cut down on exposure and transmission of lots of illnesses that would normally occur … plus we have vaccines for things like the Flu … and yet far more young people died from the flu than Covid.

I read the Covid death reports for Oregon. They provide the age of the person, when they were diagnosed and when they died and if they have underlying medical conditions plus whether they died in hospital, care facility or home. Few - very few- have been identified as having no underlying health conditions. Some early in the reporting were said to be in Hospice care - though they stopped reporting that info right away.

Most deaths - the vast majority at all ages - have health issues before contracting and in addition to Covid. Most deaths are those who are advanced in age with underlying health issues. Many are dying at home and fairly quickly after diagnoses which leads me to believe that many of them are already in Hospice or close to entering. Hospice care is only offered if life expectancy is 6 months or less … though I have known Hospice patients who lived longer - it is a guess after all.

Why are you posting such an anecdotal story?
I’ve not seen a single poster here imply it wasn’t real, or a serious health threat to people with pre-existing conditions.

Why wasn’t the wife tested is the only question I have from your anecdote.

What’s there to take seriously? it has a 99% survival rate for all ages up to 74 and over, which has a 94% survival rate.

Last edited:
I take is seriously with an immunocompromised individual living in my home. I take it seriously because morbidity needs to be considered alongside mortality. I take it seriously because it’s questionable whether it confers life-long immunity.

I don’t live in fear. I do take is seriously.

I’m not addressing you specifically but anyone concerned about the factors you listed should likewise be concerned about the seasonal flu.

Speaking of which, according to the CDC there’s been a 95% drop in flu cases this season and according to the WHO a similar drop in flu cases around the world.

Last edited:
Not to pick on you, but saying they Covid sufferers were going to die anyway’ sounds a little callous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back