Unitive purpose vs. abstinence

  • Thread starter Thread starter ldavid
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The unitive aspect is very simple:
We husbands provide material as well as emotional support to our wives. Providing emotional support comes in the form of affection, tenderness, caring, self-giving acts in the manner that should be defined by the recipient rather than the giver. Outside of this definition, sex will no longer be “unitive”.

To live in union with Christ, the husband is to struggle daily to fulfill his duties in providing emotional support to his wife, in ways that are affectionate, tender and caring - and this has nothing to with sex. If for some quirk of a chance the wife asks for it, then consider it part of the means of delivery, not the end product.

I’d say this is a man’s job.- It has no room for those who seek self-gratification over fulfilling one’s duty. In other words, a job not for wimps.😃
 
The unitive aspect is very simple:
We husbands provide material as well as emotional support to our wives. Providing emotional support comes in the form of affection, tenderness, caring, self-giving acts in the manner that should be defined by the recipient rather than the giver. Outside of this definition, sex will no longer be “unitive”.

To live in union with Christ, the husband is to struggle daily to fulfill his duties in providing emotional support to his wife, in ways that are affectionate, tender and caring - and this has nothing to with sex. If for some quirk of a chance the wife asks for it, then consider it part of the means of delivery, not the end product.

I’d say this is a man’s job.- It has no room for those who seek self-gratification over fulfilling one’s duty. In other words, a job not for wimps.😃
Very, very well said. Sometimes “unitive” does not get the scrutiny it deserves, because we are so hung up on figuring out how to manage “procreative” (which by itself is hard enough if we want to be truthful and honest about our intentions).

Tim
 
OP, your post was lovely. Your wife is a lucky woman. I, too, am an ex-Protestant and have been Catholic since 1997. I am 55. When we converted, my husband had long since had a vasectomy… we have been able to have all the sex we could possibly want for many years with no worries. Big damn deal. I liked it better when there was the possibility of conceiving new life. My husband confessed that after the vasectomy, it was not the same for him, either.
I think we are starting to experience the blessing of the fact that every sexual act we share is open to life - even more than open, somehow a participation in creating life, even if that particular act does not result in conception - somehow it is better experientially, not just theologically. I like to think of God being outside of spacetime (C.S. Lewis talked about this I think) - this is how the mass can be a continual offering of the “once for all” sacrifice of Jesus on the cross. Philosophically the mass is amazing in that way - it is nothing less than a rending of the very fabric of spacetime to bring us into direct communion with the Lord of the Universe in the greatest event in the history of the world. Much cooler than any black hole, time warp, light speed sci-fi story. But I’m rambling now… The idea is that our continuing sexual union is somehow an unbroken part of the cooperation in the creation of the 8 lives we have participated in. I can’t explain it well, but it seems like in some fundamental sense our loving acts are not distinct from those that created these children, any of which, in turn, might also result in the creation of another child.
…You don’t know how much I wish I could take that vasectomy back. My husband does, too. I hope you know how blessed you are.
Probably not, but I have some idea. Last night we had a priest friend over for dinner and afterward we were sitting together - all 10 of us and him - watching the Scarlet and the Black (decent pro-Catholic movie BTW). I saw him seeing us and smiling. I was sitting with two of my little monkeys on my lap, next to my wife, with the others all piled around here and there - a common thing for us, but a contrast to this celibate priest sitting alone in a chair. He has often told me in confession how blessed I am - not to scold me but to encourage me - and now just having him around is a reminder. I love my kids more than anything on this earth, and I’m starting to see how that love is also not distinct from the love I feel for my wife (and practice, even when I don’t particularly feel it), and in some mysterious way is not distinct from our sexual union either. The kids aren’t just reminders of it, they are the direct products of it - somehow they are it, though I normally wouldn’t put it that way. And consider what they are! Set aside the fact that they are The Cutest Living Things, which is the immediate experience of anyone who encounters them, I’m sure. They are human beings created in the image of God, immortal souls, etc.

Sorry, I’m mostly talking to myself at this point - but maybe it will be food for thought for someone else like me who comes across it. Fills in some of the details of what it means for marriage to be a sacrament…
…I know my grandparents had separate bedrooms. Perhaps now I know why. I don’t imagine our grandparents or great-grandparents desired their wives or husbands any less than we do, they just didn’t have the unfortunate options we have. I am not lecturing you. I am trying to give you something to think about. God Bless you. You sound like a wonderful, thoughtful man.
You are very kind and your words are encouraging. I have often thought it might be easier if we had our own rooms, or at least slept in separate beds, but figured that somehow that would be less loving or romantic or something. That has always been a stereotype for a dead, loveless marriage in my mind. But now I see that it could be just the opposite. We don’t even have enough bedrooms for our kids though, so we won’t be trying it anytime soon. 🙂
 
The unitive aspect is very simple:
We husbands provide material as well as emotional support to our wives. Providing emotional support comes in the form of affection, tenderness, caring, self-giving acts in the manner that should be defined by the recipient rather than the giver. Outside of this definition, sex will no longer be “unitive”.

To live in union with Christ, the husband is to struggle daily to fulfill his duties in providing emotional support to his wife, in ways that are affectionate, tender and caring - and this has nothing to with sex. If for some quirk of a chance the wife asks for it, then consider it part of the means of delivery, not the end product.

I’d say this is a man’s job.- It has no room for those who seek self-gratification over fulfilling one’s duty. In other words, a job not for wimps.😃
I think this is a good summary of the “job” of a husband as regards his wife, but I don’t think this is a description of the unitive purpose of sex per se. You describe, accurately I think, what wives generally experience as “fuel for the fire”, so to speak - or maybe better put, the necessary conditions for loving union. But these conditions are not the same as the purpose of the union itself. The hard part of the “unitive purpose” for me is the purpose; I think I understand well enough what unitive means and how it looks.

Your description of loving your wife without a thought toward sex unless she asks for it, and even then it’s just a “means of delivery” for the affection that it is a husband’s duty to provide, is a little depressing to me (maybe I’m too much of a whimp :D).

My wife loves me too, and she knows that the main way I receive her love emotionally is through physical affection, and especially through sexual union. I think it’s just the way I’m wired - maybe the way most men are - and she recognizes that. During the infertile times, she will initiate if I don’t, because she knows it will be a very loving thing for me, whether she is really desirous or not (and of course there is the issue of the difference in the nature of “sexual desire” for men and women - my wife can be very desirous but be experiencing something totally different - emotionally, physically - from me when I am very desirous, etc.)

But I agree with your overall point that we husbands should primarily be concerned with loving our wives, and not with “getting what we need/want”. And that means, for most wives, doing “unsexy” things like spending “daddy time” with the kids, changing diapers, actively listening to her talk about her hopes and concerns, etc… Of course perspective is everything. From my wife’s point of view, one of the sexiest things I’ve ever done was stay up late one night to do the dishes so she didn’t have to do them at 6 in the morning before driving the kids to school. And I’ll tell you, I did them with vim and vigor, after hearing her description of how it would affect her and what the following night was going to be like…
 
I apologize for the length and lack of clarity of this post. I guess my question is, how does one reconcile the unitive purpose with the practical reality of near total abstinence? Is sex supposed to be fueled by passionate love and expressed powerfully to the strengthening of the marital bond - like a hearty, nourishing meal for hungry people; or is it supposed to be an occasional dispassionate embrace, when convenient - like a bite of a sandwich for people who don’t really need to eat anyway?
I think what you are picking up on is the “second-best” nature of NFP. Sexual union is supposed to be unitive AND procreative. Because you are avoiding the full procreativity, you are missing out on some of the unitive joys as well. NFP is NOT an ideal situation. Having sex as desired (except to fast from it and pray for a time), accepting children lovingly from God without limits, is the ideal.

Think of it as being like tithing. Ideally, we give more than 10% of our money away to the church and worthy causes, and are generous to our friends. This should feel good, and should bring us closer to our community and to our God. But if we are going through a period of extreme poverty, we are not called to tithe 10% instead of feeding our children (according to Catholic teaching), but to prudently and prayerfully discern what God is calling us to. We may feel an ache or distantness, however, when our friends are also going through financial hardship and we can’t help . . . or when we receive a request for donations from a wonderful charity, and can’t give. Most people in this situation manage a few dollars in the basket each Sunday so their children see their example, and see that you always give at least a token, but it still feels like a few bites of sandwich when you are craving a hearty meal. It’s not the ideal. It’s not what God ultimately desires for us. It is a sacrifice we make for a season of our lives until we can live the joy of God’s will more fully.

It’s the same with NFP. God does sometimes call us to limit our generousity for a time for reasons of prudence, as we struggle through life in this fallen world. NFP is a licit way to limit our generousity if we are called to do so, but it is not the ideal and it does have a cost. You ARE making a sacrifice, for whatever reasons, and what you are sacrificing is worthy of acknowledgement. But to sacrifice means to give up something good - ideal, unrestrained sexual generousity - for something better - your reasons for near-abstinance, whether they be health or finances or whatever. Offer up your sacrifice to the Lord, and pray for a time when that sacrifice is no longer necessary.

As for whether sex is like the steak, or the bits of sandwich that aren’t truly necessary . . . My understanding is that sex is like steak to a hungry person, but that there are other ways to fill our “stomachs” - it’s just one dietary option, in other words, but for a real need that we do need to fill. Kind words between loved ones, intimacy with God, gentle touches, embraces - in other words, charitible love. What we desire is to mirror the mutual, living, creative love of God the Father and God the Son in our earthly relationships. Nothing does that so well as marital union (Song of Solomon, anyone?), but marital union is also not the only way to mirror it. So near-abstinance doesn’t have near-starvation for its analogy, but near-vegetarianism. You are more like the person who has given up meat for all of Lent, indulging only on Sundays. It’s not going to ruin your health, and may actually help it depending on your precise situation. But it’s also not unreasonable to miss and crave hamburgers. Of course, mirroring the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit is far more important than earthly hunger, so comparing marital union to hamburgers and steak does trivialize the matter somewhat.

I will say also that only having a week of infertile time per month is quite unusual, AFAIK, and you might want to see if there is (a) another method that will be more accurate so you can use more of the infertile time your wife actually does have each month or (b) a health reason why your wife is showing fertile signs so much. But it sounds like others have already pointed you in this direction - so I also offer God prayers to bless you as you carry your heavy cross.
 
Please continue to have sex with your wife. Do not resort to abstinence, unless there is no other choice, due to your wife’s health situation. If you must practice NFP, then do so. You will find plenty of resources and support in this forum.

I would never recommend permanent abstinence to any married couple, unless your wife’s health situation deteriorates.

I have practiced celibacy for nearly the last 16 years in my marriage. My marriage is nearly dead. I am faithful to my wife, but there is no intimacy or affection. I allowed our sex life to deteriorate for many, many years. I remain married to my wife, out of my devotion to Christ, and my commitment to the marriage vows that I took, nearly two decades ago.

Sex is the glue that can help hold a marriage together. That is the fundamental of the unitive purpose of marriage. You attend to the sexual needs of your wife, and she attends to yours. (Similarly, you attend to the rest of your needs of your spouse.)

I am sure you are familiar with 1 Corinthians 7, and the theology behind this; this passage calls for temporary abstinence, for the purpose of prayer and fasting. It does not call for permanent abstinence.

Without this glue, your marriage could suffer, in the same way that my marriage is suffering. Don’t do that to yourself, or to your wife.
 
Your description of loving your wife without a thought toward sex unless she asks for it, and even then it’s just a “means of delivery” for the affection that it is a husband’s duty to provide, is a little depressing to me (maybe I’m too much of a whimp :D).

My wife loves me too, and she knows that the main way I receive her love emotionally is through physical affection, and especially through sexual union. I think it’s just the way I’m wired - maybe the way most men are - and she recognizes that. During the infertile times, she will initiate if I don’t, because she knows it will be a very loving thing for me, whether she is really desirous or not (and of course there is the issue of the difference in the nature of “sexual desire” for men and women - my wife can be very desirous but be experiencing something totally different - emotionally, physically - from me when I am very desirous, etc.)
There is a need for more (name removed by moderator)uts on this issue:
Means of delivery versus the product.
Let’s be clear about one thing: for as long as one fails to deliver his product in a manner that is acceptable, no matter how hard one tries to justify himself, one loses the deal miserably. As you correctly stated, men are wired differently from women. They look for affection and emotional intimacy. Men are more for physical intimacy and biological satisfaction. But we all know that pursuit of these things only lead to frustration. One has to learn to forget first his welfare in favor of his loved one’s and he will be spared from frustrations. The sooner men realize this, the sooner they reach self mastery. For how can one manage others when he cannot manage his own frustrations? Christ gave us already a clue: “If any one wishes to be my disciple, he must first deny himself, take up his cross and follow me.” The product is to fulfill one’s duty in his state of life in accordance with life in Christ. Sex is over-rated. That’s why we have a nation of wimps.😃

Secondly, self-gratification was invented by the Enemy to condemn us husbands to eternal frustration and to cause pain to our wives. The media and the commercial world are flooded with images of sexuality and materialism to create a never-ending lust for the senses. Christ liberated us 2000 years ago from the enslavement of this world but many chose to be enslaved by the Enemy’s deception. Christ taught us chastity, patience, sacrifice, self-denial, etc as a means to conquer the world. But many choose to be conquered by this world daily.😛
 
LDavid, I strongly recommend that you pick up one of the introductory teachings on JPII’s Theology of the Body. A good source would be Christopher West’s Good News on Sex and Marriage. You can read the Holy Father’s original text on this subject, but it is theologically complex. West explains this theology in practical terms, and might be a better choice for recent converts such as yourself.

(p.s., I know West is an extremely controversial theologian. There are other writers who have interpreted TOB, if you chose not to read West.) Gregory K. Popcak is another writer who has done excellent work on this subject.

I agree with Prime. If you engage in sexual intercourse with your wife, to fulfill your own needs, then this will only be a limiting experience. You will be focused on your own needs, not those of your spouse. This is not the purpose of the marital act.

If, however, you transform the marital act, and focus on your wife’s needs, then sexual intercourse can be something else. Then it can become something more. Then it can become a spiritual experience - one that can bring both of you closer to God. It can be one of the greatest expressions of loving charity and obedience that a man can offer.

That is the true purpose behind the marital act - and why it has a unitive purpose, not just a procreative one. That is why I will never encourage anyone to engage in permanent abstinence in marriage. They will cut themselves off from this experience of love, which will only cause pain to everyone involved. They deny the true unitive meaning of marriage.

Sadly, I allowed my marriage to deteriorate, to the point that this is no longer possible for me and my wife. I only wish that I knew 20 years ago, what I know now. I never would have let my marriage to disintegrate, to the point that sexual intimacy is impossible for us. Now my wife is agnostic, and I truly fear for her soul. And honestly, I blame myself for much of that sad situation. If I had not allowed myself to drift away from my wife, then perhaps my wife would not have drifted away from Christ.

Don’t repeat my mistakes. Make love to your wife. Show her love and charity. Make her the top priority in your life. Let your marriage be a pathway to Christ.
 
Alright, I know I am entering an arena full of men here, but know that I can relate. We use NFP, and are blessed with a gift of fertility, seemingly beyond what my body can handle sometimes, so we utilize NFP to delay conceiving a baby before the current baby is old enough to not need so much from my body. I also have very early return of fertility, despite exclusive and nearly ecological breastfeeding. We end up with around 1 week per month of infertile time, sometimes much less because of delayed ovulation, and lots of miscellaneous mucous patches in the earlier part of the cycle. This requires almost entire abstinence until post ovulation.

More to the point, my husband and I love each other very much, and realize that the marital embrace is a form of worship for us. We understand and follow Church teachings, and don’t participate in any illicit gratifications, but have recently discovered the value of sharing our desires in words. We no longer feel alienated from the other because we know that our desires are mutual, and not just selfish. We like to look at our abstinence as a time of anticipation, like the season of Advent, building up to the time we have together, however short it might be. I like to call it the honeymoon effect of NFP. We plan special times we can be together after ovulation, and make special efforts to listen and do special and kind things for the other in anticipation. It;s like we’re waiting to get married all over again, except this time, we live together and sleep in the same bed, so we can help each other in many more ways. You never knew how great your spouse was until you need to wait for that union… Every month there are new discoveries about how deeply we love eachother, and how that love echos Trinitarian love.

There is the thrill of being open to new life, but we try to protect our family by just a few months of recovery time, and time to give our children the love and attention they need, at least until they are more independent. So far, we ended up with 20 month spacing, which is nice. This time we may not need so much since the baby seems to be thriving and more advanced than his brothers, so we may be able to let go and let God sooner than before. That said, I don’t know your situation perfectly, but it sounds like you have good reasons to avoid pregnancy, but what does your wife think about it? I must qualify this here, as I am a) the oldest of 12 children and love big families and b) a diabetic myself, and c) have lost two childre, one to miscarriage, another to extreme prematurity. I know and understand reasons to avoid conception, but they are not always indefinite. I think every couple should pray together ***each cycle ***about what God is calling you and your family to. Even if you opt to wait and avoid conception month after month, at least have an open dialogue so that you both know and are discerning what is yours to decide together with God, rather than to pass eachother in the night, so to speak. About this, I recall my FAVORITE portion of Janet Smith’s talk, Contraception, WHy Not? I HIGHLY recommend it, even though you are no longer struggling with whether or not to contracept, she talks about NFP. The talk was given to seminarians, so you may be able to appreciate it even more from your former-pastor point of view, and we very much enjoy her style of presentation.
 
Well let me put it this way. My parents divorced when I was 9 and I grew up mostly alone (“latch-key kid” I think was the term that was later coined) in a secular home. I desperately wanted love and looked for it in a relationship with a girl. I had my first “serious” girlfriend when I was 15 (she was 17 and very experienced - so I became an “extremely experienced” 15 year old - the envy of all my friends). That destructive and desperate relationship led to others and by the time I was 19 and in college I was a nihilist, atheist, depressed, angry, and completely immoral - or amoral as I saw it - I saw that without religion there really was no reasonable basis for morality and it was just a cultural norm that was constantly shifting. Well I “got saved” (as I said then) and started to grow in my understanding of God and life as a Christian. My wife had a much purer background (though she had some “uninvited” experiences as a young girl that in some ways were more damaging than mine). When we married we were both devout protestants who rejected the world’s view of sex (though I in particular had to fight that view in myself as I had lived it for years) and embraced what we understood to be God’s view. By the grace of God, our conversion continued (though it took 16 more years!) to the point where we came home to the Church and are now trying to bring our sexuality further in line with “God’s view”. All of which is to say, yes I have had plenty of illicit sexual experiences - in fact I suppose my sexual formation took place in that context - and even as married, devout protestants we engaged in some things (contraception, etc.) that we now see as illicit.

Yes, good point. I do view it as temporary - and did even as a protestant, but after 10 or 15 years, “temporary” starts to feel hopelessly long. This however doesn’t necessarily mean it’s wrong, it could just be that our case is exceptional (or at least not normative). Based on what others have suggested, that’s my current working understanding.

Indeed. That is a hard truth but I believe it is true. I guess I see now that my whole sexual development was not just enveloped in sin (which I recognized as a protestant), but fundamentally disordered - and that continued to a large extent even into marriage (though it got much, much better, by God’s grace). So it’s not just my actions, but my thinking and understanding (and maybe feelings?) that were screwed up. Though I can change my actions overnight, my thinking is taking longer (my feelings certainly are).

Thank you all who have responded to this post. I really didn’t expect much helpful info from a forum, but this has been surprisingly helpful. (So keep it coming if anyone has anything else to add!)
Wow, well I have some good news… It sounds like you are pretty much dead on target with your thinking!!! Indeed God is great and it seems his grace has been working powerfuly in your life!

Just a note, it sounds like we have at least some similarities in our early “formation” shall we call it. The main difference is I wasn’t a latchkey kid, and I did in fact start out (and remain) Catholic. But, none-the-less my house hold was very luke warm (my parents and sister still seem to be) as well and very caught up in popular culture. I wouldn’t say utterly over run with it, my parents did draw the line at some base level, but by and large it was a environment of “keep God in his place”. I formed along those lines, and ultimatly ended up for a short time buying into moral relitivism and for a much greater time (and like you still struggle with on some level) the sexual norms of the culture.

So on that note, when I say my rosary tonight I’ll say it for both of us. For both our continued conversions, that we may both be better formed to Christ.
 
I would never recommend permanent abstinence to any married couple, unless your wife’s health situation deteriorates.

I have practiced celibacy for nearly the last 16 years in my marriage. My marriage is nearly dead… I remain married to my wife, out of my devotion to Christ…

Sex is the glue that can help hold a marriage together. That is the fundamental of the unitive purpose of marriage. You attend to the sexual needs of your wife, and she attends to yours. (Similarly, you attend to the rest of your needs of your spouse.)
I don’t want to sound unkind, but why do you not practice what you preach? I’m not implying that you don’t have a good reason, but if there is one, I’d like to know what it could possibly be. I have imagined what my marriage might look like a decade or so down the line if things continued the way they were during dark times, and I could see a situation similar to what you describe. But even then I still believed “with God all things are possible”.
I am sure you are familiar with 1 Corinthians 7, and the theology behind this; this passage calls for temporary abstinence, for the purpose of prayer and fasting. It does not call for permanent abstinence.
I am and I referred to it at least once before in this thread. Again I would turn the question back to you and ask, if you are a faithful Catholic how can you accept the state of your marriage as you describe it?

Forgive me if I have been too blunt, but I suspect a man in your position probably isn’t too bothered by bluntness, given the larger suffering you seem to be living through. Is there really no other way for you?
 
…I just got Love and Responsibility and Theology of the Body; and have read much of the Catechism. I realize that a complete answer to my question is probably in these books (and others perhaps). However I’m hoping someones here can help me in the meantime (it will probably take me months to work through these books in my spare time).
David,

In lieu of the time and contemplation the books above might take, I’m going to recommend a third, as it cuts straight to the practical point (for men) of how JPII’s teachings should be lived, and is a fairly quick read:

mantomanbook.com/

I found out about this book on the TOB section of Catholic Exchange and decided to start with this before I began with the deeper stuff.

You can read a synopsis of the book, and other related articles posted by the author: Father James Farfaglia here:

tob.catholicexchange.com/2010/01/01/1471/
 
I don’t want to sound unkind, but why do you not practice what you preach? I’m not implying that you don’t have a good reason, but if there is one, I’d like to know what it could possibly be. I have imagined what my marriage might look like a decade or so down the line if things continued the way they were during dark times, and I could see a situation similar to what you describe. But even then I still believed “with God all things are possible”.
My wife patently refuses to have sex with me. She states emphatically that she will never have sex with me again. In fact, she refuses to let me sleep in the same bed with her. The last time I approached her for sex, she attempted to castrate me with a pair of scissors. That was several years ago.

She also has abandoned Christ, and no longer considers herself a Christian. She labels herself now as agnostic.

Yes, God could move her unyielding heart. I realize this could happen. Maybe God can bring her back to me as well. I have not completely abandoned hope, even though I feel that the odds are long.

Could I have done things differently years ago, to prevent the situation from deteriorating to this point? Yes. But the fault is not entirely mine.

All I can do now is try to love my wife as best as I can, and hope that her heart somehow softens.
 
There is a need for more (name removed by moderator)uts on this issue…
… As you correctly stated, men are wired differently from women. They look for affection and emotional intimacy. Men are more for physical intimacy and biological satisfaction. But we all know that pursuit of these things only lead to frustration. One has to learn to forget first his welfare in favor of his loved one’s and he will be spared from frustrations.
Ok I’ll give my (name removed by moderator)ut on the issue then. I agree that pursuing sex solely for the purpose of self-gratification is disordered. However, I don’t think the proper response to this possibility is to deny the desire for sexual satisfaction altogether. Certainly there must be a licit context in which spouses can experience the fulfillment of their sexual desire. Moreover, I don’t accept that it is illicit for a husband (or wife) to initiate sex with their spouse if they have any trace of selfish desire at all. Who among us could claim to have sinless relations then? “He who has no sin cast the first stone”, as it were. I think a better way to think of it is that my wife holds the key to my sexual gratification - I can’t have it apart from her. However, it’s best for both of us if my main concern is not “getting mine”, but “giving her hers”, because I of course hold the key for her gratification, which she can’t get apart from me. Ideally we will love each other perfectly, anticipating each others desires and needs and fulfilling them joyfully.

More concretely, If I ask my wife if she wants to have a long intimate talk, and she says, “Oh I’d love to”, I think that’s perfectly legitimate (on her part). Likewise, if after that talk she asks if I’d like to have some physical intimacy and I say, “Yes I would very much”, I think that’s ok on my part. I.e. I have desire, which is at least in part selfish, but in the context I described, it’s not illicit to satisfy it. I think this would be the case even if I were the one who initiated with her instead of her with me.
The sooner men realize this, the sooner they reach self mastery… Christ gave us already a clue: “If any one wishes to be my disciple, he must first deny himself, take up his cross and follow me.” The product is to fulfill one’s duty in his state of life in accordance with life in Christ. Sex is over-rated. That’s why we have a nation of wimps.😃
Spoken like a true manly man. 🙂 And also like a man who has some bitterness from past experience, and lack of patience for “whimps” who whine about how hard life is. I risk being so direct because I count myself among those who feel this way sometimes. In past times of difficulty I’ve told my wife that I wish I were asexual, “like she seems to be” (since she can go indefinitely without sex and it doesn’t even seem to enter her mind, etc.). Of course I don’t really wish I were asexual (at least not when I’m in my right mind), and I know she isn’t either. I’m a fallen man and when times get tough sometimes I get grumpy. Grumpy theology is no good in my experience.

More to your point, I used to preach fairly often on Jesus’ various statements about dying to oneself. One of my most “annointed” sermons was on that topic and resounded in the congregation for years afterward. However even then I saw the need for balance - this idea can obviously be taken too far. The problem I had as a protestant was that I was relying on my own private interpretation of scripture (or mine and those of a few other colleagues with whom I agreed most of the time), and since the Bible is not a systematic theology text, there are a lot of holes I had to fill in by “making stuff up” (which of course is not how I thought of it at the time; I thought I was doing scholarly, Spirit-led exegesis - the problem was other guys would do the same thing and come up with very different ideas sometimes - thankfully I was able to see that they must be wrong since I was right :cool:). So I have a sore spot about private interpretation now, and I love the Church even more because of the Magisterium - to wit, I think we must be careful to consider Church teaching on easily misapplied scriptures like for example Lk 14:26ff. I’m still a noob when it comes to the teachings of JPII, but based on my reading so far, it seems that he was pretty “radical” on both sides of the issue - there is a proper context for (extended) self-denial, but there is also a proper context for “total giving of oneself” (and therefore total receiving of another as well). I don’t claim to understand that entirely, but it sounds pretty good (i.e. satisfying). 😃
Secondly, self-gratification was invented by the Enemy… The media and the commercial world are flooded with images of sexuality… Christ taught us chastity, patience, sacrifice, self-denial, etc as a means to conquer the world. But many choose to be conquered by this world daily.😛
I agree. I often have to ask myself if I really believe in God and in particular in Jesus Christ and his Church. If not, then the hedonism preached by the world makes a lot of sense. But if so, the logical implications of that belief lead to a radically different lifestyle. It’s helpful to me to realize that the “radicalness” of it all comes from the initial proposition that Jesus of Nazareth was the second person of the Trinity, and not from “celibate old men making up the rules about sex for everyone else”, as some in the world would say.
 
Your marriage seems to almost exactly mirror mine, ldavid. My wife has no sexual desire whatsoever. I have some, but I cannot have it fulfilled. Hence, we have no had relations in nearly 17 years. The net result? Our marriage is a dismal failure, by an objective standard, Christian or otherwise.

Again, the only real tangible advice I can give is this:
  1. Focus on fulfilling your wife’s needs. Even if she has no sexual desire, try to fulfill her other needs. I presume she needs some needs that you can fulfill. She will likely need some form of emotional intimacy, in lieu of sexual intimacy. Even if women have no sexual desire, they still generally want intimacy at some level. Talk to her, and find out if she is having this fulfilled by you.
  2. Be honest with your wife about your own needs. If you have sexual desires to be fulfilled, please tell her this. If she really loves you, she will accomodate you, and will do so willingly and openly. Women will honor and respect their husbands, by fulfilling their needs - including sexual needs. In Ephesians 5, women are called to respect their husbands, and one of the chief ways they show respect, is by honoring their husband’s sexual needs.
Regardless, don’t let your marriage degenerate into total forced celibacy. Seriously, you don’t want to become me - angry, frustrated, bitter, disillusioned, and despondent.

I feel like a prisoner, shouting out from the jailhouse window, at someone about to commit a horrendous crime. “Don’t end up like me! Don’t do as I did! Do as I say!”
 
Idavid, I must pull back if at this point I sounded to you like a “manly man” or somebody bitter from past experience. Believe me, I’m just as vulnerable as the next guy here. The only difference is I am already past frustration and have learned to accept the fact that I cannot conquer myself if did not surrender to Him who has asked us to surrender our will to that of His, that I cannot win this game if I play it by relying on my puny strength and if I insist on having “my fair share” of self-gratification. I don’t claim to have succeeded in this, though. I am just another struggling weakling like everyone else. Sometimes I would think that those who still insist on fighting for ‘fair balance’ in the midst of an unfair world are the true heroes, that those who have surrendered and checked in to His promise: “come to me all of you who are weary and I will give you rest…” are the true wimps! If that’s the case, the only thing I’m proud of then is I’m His wimp!😃
 
ldavid,

God bless you, man. You are dealing with some tough stuff…but you’re doing it really well.

One thing that has helped me in the same area is this (hold on):

NFP stinks. It’s horrible, painful, irritating. It’s not normal, it’s not for everyone. It just plain stinks. DO NOT listen to those who go on and on about “oooh, NFP is sooo great. Everyone should do it because it strengthens your marriage, blah, blah, blah”…that’s bull don’t listen to it.

But,

NFP is also a good thing.

I find it much easier to remember that NFP is a remedy given to us by a loving Creator for those unfortunate situations when there is serious reason to avoid pregnancy. And that NFP is not the norm, it is an exception. Because it is not the norm, it is not comfortable, it is not easy. It stinks. NFP is like wearing a cast on your leg. It’s annoying, it itches, it smells, but yeah, it accomplishes a good thing and life without it would be even harder. But the cast doesn’t bother us, because we don’t have the expectation that the cast will be all wonderful and fulfilling and make us happy.

So, stop expecting NFP to be more than it is - a huge pain, but a pain that sometimes is worth it. Luckily, as Christians we know what to do with pain. We can offer it up and unite our sufferings with those of our God, and in doing so turn the pain into something good. I found that when I stopped expecting NFP to be some great, happy thing, it got a lot easier.

God bless you and may He give you the grace to take up your cross!
 
Your marriage seems to almost exactly mirror mine, ldavid. My wife has no sexual desire whatsoever. I have some, but I cannot have it fulfilled. Hence, we have no had relations in nearly 17 years. The net result? Our marriage is a dismal failure, by an objective standard, Christian or otherwise.
Mrpathetic,
Thank you for your candid response and your concern. You have my sympathy and my prayers. However, I’d like to clarify a few things. I don’t know you or your situation beyond your description here, but I doubt that my marriage mirrors yours. My wife has never tried to castrate me for example, nor does she have the kind of intense hatred for me that must motivate a wife to do such a thing. (Unless she is mentally unstable I suppose, which my wife is not either.) Moreover my wife does have sexual desire. It’s very different from mine, but she does have it. While I’m on the topic, let me just say for the record that my wife is a wonderful, beautiful, godly woman and I’m lucky to have her. She’s pretty selfish, maybe even as selfish as me, so that makes things hard sometimes. And she’s had a lot of physical troubles that have affected our sexual relations. But in the last couple years she’s been much better and our main sexual challenge now is navigating the Church’s teachings, dealing with NFP, etc.
 
So, stop expecting NFP to be more than it is - a huge pain, but a pain that sometimes is worth it. Luckily, as Christians we know what to do with pain. We can offer it up and unite our sufferings with those of our God, and in doing so turn the pain into something good. I found that when I stopped expecting NFP to be some great, happy thing, it got a lot easier.

God bless you and may He give you the grace to take up your cross!
Exactly.

NFP is better than abstinence. A diet is better than starvation.

That is an anology, of course. And people can survive without sex. They cannot survive without food. So it is not an exact parallel. But it is illustrative.

If you remain on a “sex diet” (i.e., NFP), then you will still have a sex life, with your wife. This will fulfill the unitive purpose of sexuality. You will still be united with your wife, in the flesh. And you are still open to life, so you are not in violation of the law.

Is this situation ideal? Of course not. Is it better than nothing? Absolutely.
 
More to your point, I used to preach fairly often on Jesus’ various statements about dying to oneself. One of my most “annointed” sermons was on that topic and resounded in the congregation for years afterward. However even then I saw the need for balance - this idea can obviously be taken too far. The problem I had as a protestant was that I was relying on my own private interpretation of scripture (or mine and those of a few other colleagues with whom I agreed most of the time), and since the Bible is not a systematic theology text, there are a lot of holes I had to fill in by “making stuff up” (which of course is not how I thought of it at the time; I thought I was doing scholarly, Spirit-led exegesis - the problem was other guys would do the same thing and come up with very different ideas sometimes - thankfully I was able to see that they must be wrong since I was right :cool:). So I have a sore spot about private interpretation now, and I love the Church even more because of the Magisterium - to wit, I think we must be careful to consider Church teaching on easily misapplied scriptures like for example Lk 14:26ff. I’m still a noob when it comes to the teachings of JPII, but based on my reading so far, it seems that he was pretty “radical” on both sides of the issue - there is a proper context for (extended) self-denial, but there is also a proper context for “total giving of oneself” (and therefore total receiving of another as well). I don’t claim to understand that entirely, but it sounds pretty good (i.e. satisfying). 😃
I don’t know much about your journey from private-interpretation towards listening to Magisterium in Catholicism but you are actually doing fine and I doff my hat to you.👍
You are right in saying there is a balance that should be taken as a path between extended self-denial and giving-receiving of self.

But one must also learn to practice “detachment” if one has to succeed in navigating this path. By ‘detachment’ it does not mean one does not care any more than managing the struggle objectively. The spiritual poverty mentioned in the 8 beatitudes is a good definition that requires detachment from the things of this world. Without it, it would be very difficult to negotiate the pains and frustrations in one’s journey. And by the time one realizes that that journey sometimes becomes the destination, that frustration will try to throw the journey off-track - if one is not detached from it all.
This may sound pessimistic by today’s worldly standards - but reality leaves us no practical alternative.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top