Vasectomy? (operation) A sin?

• Thread starter Thread starter Tina
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it would be a sin for a catholic to have a vasectomy, if he knew that it was morally wrong and did it anyway.

There is no question about it. The Church is quite clear on the matter, reproductive mutilation is a sin.

The Cathechism says:

“…every action which, whether in anticipation of the conjugal act, or in its accomplishment, or in the development of its natural consequences, proposes, whether as an end or as a means, to render procreation impossible is intrinsically evil.” CCC 2370

So basically, anything a person does to block the possibility of life-giving that occurs during the sexual act, is wrong. It inhibits the total giving of yourself to your spouse, and totally shuts the door on God’s involvement in this aspect of your life, which might at some point, be to have another child.

It’s also a matter of surrendering to God. It’s like saying “God, you can have every aspect of my life, I give myself totally to you, except for my sperm (or ovaries and uterus) – those are mine.” :eek:

40.png
Didi:
The Cathechism says:

“…every action which, whether in anticipation of the conjugal act, or in its accomplishment, or in the development of its natural consequences, proposes, whether as an end or as a means, to render procreation impossible is intrinsically evil.” CCC 2370

So basically, anything a person does to block the possibility of life-giving that occurs during the sexual act, is wrong. It inhibits the total giving of yourself to your spouse, and totally shuts the door on God’s involvement in this aspect of your life, which might at some point, be to have another child.

It’s also a matter of surrendering to God. It’s like saying “God, you can have every aspect of my life, I give myself totally to you, except for my sperm (or ovaries and uterus) – those are mine.” :eek:
Yes, I agree with you, this is a grave mortal sin!! Anything that keeps a person from reproducing is wrong… since that is partly why we are here. If we are called to married life than we are called to have children.

40.png
SarahSmile:
If we are called to married life than we are called to have children.
Just a quick clarification – if we are called to married life, we are called to be open to having children. There are some couples who are infertile and instead of adopting, choose not to pursue having children. This makes them no less a family as long as they are conforming to God’s will in their lives!

**Didi, thank you for that clarification! You are right about that…:tiphat: **

The Bible is very clear on this in Deut.23:2. I think it was St. John Crysostom that said that it is a satanic mulitation that is a slander to God’s creation and that preventing a human soul from ever existing is worse than murder. St. Augustine(I think) said take from marriage what marriage is (I love that!) and preventing children creates spouses that are joined in seduction not love. If the deed is done and you didn’t know that it was a mortal sin it isn’t a mortal sin but you must do everything in your power to get it reversed now that you know. This is God’s world and we are His people we have no right to alter His plans.

I guess everyone here answer my question! will, I’am not Catholic! I have join this group for a short time! (maybe 2 weeks) I’am a born again Baptist! but, I was thinking about this for a long time! can someone show me where in the Bible! is this a sin? I don’t know the Catholic Bible at all.

I’am having a really hard time with this! I would love to have more Kids, if this is God will for me, but I’am getting to old! is 45 to old? to have Kids! husband say no more kids! then he got the operation about ten years ago! with out me know! is this right for him to do this? to me

40.png
Lorik:
The Bible is very clear on this in Deut.23:2. I think it was St. John Crysostom that said that it is a satanic mulitation that is a slander to God’s creation and that preventing a human soul from ever existing is worse than murder. St. Augustine(I think) said take from marriage what marriage is (I love that!) and preventing children creates spouses that are joined in seduction not love. If the deed is done and you didn’t know that it was a mortal sin it isn’t a mortal sin but you must do everything in your power to get it reversed now that you know. This is God’s world and we are His people we have no right to alter His plans.
Deut 23:2 Thanks! this is a start for me!

Tina, I just want to say I am sorry about this happening to you. When I wanted a third child, my husband was very against it and finally said OK, but I’m having a vasectomy afterwards. In my desperation, I agreed and over time it has become a very huge cross in my life. We are adopting a child now, but my hubby is not open to a reversal and I wish he was.

I don’t know about your personal situation, 45 may or may not be ‘too old,’ but it is definitely not too old to adopt. Perhaps that could be a consdiration.

Peace,
Nicole

Th****at is something that your husband shoul have talked over with you before~hand… now you should pray for your husband’s soul :gopray2:
:blessyou:

Didi,

Another point of clarification:

Infertility is an impediment to marriage, and grounds for a declaration of nullity. Knowledge of that impediment may not be present at the time of marriage, of course, therefore not impeding the sacrament. Marriage not only demands openness to life, but also the ability. This can be quite controversial as you can imagine!

God bless!

40.png
Tina:
I really need some help on this one! please! anyone?
**Deuteronomy 23

***Exclusion From the Assembly *

1 No one who has been emasculated by crushing or cutting may enter the assembly of the LORD .

Tina,

If your husband already had the operation, even if he WERE Catholic, he is permitted, but not bound to reverse the procedure. It was objectively sinful to have the operation, according to Catholic moral theology. However, he perhaps may not have had “full consciousness” of the gravity of the sin or even understood that it was sinful at all. It may then be what Catholics call “venial” sin, in that case (as opposed to mortal sin). Venial sins are still against God’s will, but are not those that separate you from God. Jesus’ prayer from the cross may be of some comfort “Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do.”

The following gives the theological reasoning against a vasectomy or artificial birth control.

Encyclical of Pope Paul VI on the regulation of birth
vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_25071968_humanae-vitae_en.html

Catholics “who, for serious reasons and with due respect to moral precepts, decide not to have additional children for either a certain or an indefinite period of time,” are permitted to use the Natural Family Planning (NFP) method (i.e., abstain from sex during fertile period).

See this web page to learn more about NFP: ccli.org/

God bless,

Dave

40.png
OpusDei:
Didi,

Another point of clarification:

Infertility is an impediment to marriage, and grounds for a declaration of nullity. Knowledge of that impediment may not be present at the time of marriage, of course, therefore not impeding the sacrament. Marriage not only demands openness to life, but also the ability. This can be quite controversial as you can imagine!

God bless!
Huh? I don’t think so. Openness to life is required, but not fertility. If it was then the Church would never sanction the marriage of an elderly couple.

40.png
Nicole:
Tina, I just want to say I am sorry about this happening to you. When I wanted a third child, my husband was very against it and finally said OK, but I’m having a vasectomy afterwards. In my desperation, I agreed and over time it has become a very huge cross in my life. We are adopting a child now, but my hubby is not open to a reversal and I wish he was.

I don’t know about your personal situation, 45 may or may not be ‘too old,’ but it is definitely not too old to adopt. Perhaps that could be a consdiration.

Peace,
Nicole
Nicole, wow you sound like me alittle! will for one! I have been taking prozac(fluoxetine) for 9 years, but I have been off them for 6 months now! I found myself praying more! adopt take to long! I don’t what to wait 3 or 4 years to get a child, love to have my own.! maybe this is God will for me not to have anymore kids.

40.png
dschloeder:
Huh? I don’t think so. Openness to life is required, but not fertility. If it was then the Church would never sanction the marriage of an elderly couple.
**You are totally right!! Openness is required… but i think that OpusDei is confused with sexual intercourse. This is required, its to consummate the marriage vows.

40.png
itsjustdave1988:
Tina,

If your husband already had the operation, even if he WERE Catholic, he is permitted, but not bound to reverse the procedure. It was objectively sinful to have the operation, according to Catholic moral theology. However, he perhaps may not have had “full consciousness” of the gravity of the sin or even understood that it was sinful at all. It may then be what Catholics call “venial” sin, in that case (as opposed to mortal sin). Venial sins are still against God’s will, but are not those that separate you from God. Jesus’ prayer from the cross may be of some comfort “Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do.”

The following gives the theological reasoning against a vasectomy or artificial birth control.

Encyclical of Pope Paul VI on the regulation of birth
vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_25071968_humanae-vitae_en.html

Catholics “who, for serious reasons and with due respect to moral precepts, decide not to have additional children for either a certain or an indefinite period of time,” are permitted to use the Natural Family Planning (NFP) method (i.e., abstain from sex during fertile period).

See this web page to learn more about NFP: ccli.org/

God bless,

Dave
Hi Dave, I will check out the website’s Thanks always

Tina/bo-bina

40.png
dschloeder:
Yes. Now if one party knew he/she was sterile/infertile before the wedding, but kept it a secret from the prospective spouse, I believe that would be grounds for an annulment. But if they have discussed it beforehand and know their situation and decide to get married, then that is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back