I have read both books. People need to remember that they are FICTION. No person with half a brain is going to believe that either book is actually based on truth. Come on…an attempt to blow up the Vatican using a canister of antimatter planted under St. Peter’s.
I found both book entertaining reads. The plot in Angels and Demons was in my opinion much better than the Da Vinci Code. Both were interesting reads, and had decent action and adventure in them.
In all fairness, I am not Catholic, and am probably less prone to being offended by such literature, but even as a protestant I find the concept of Jesus having modern biological descendents laughable.
However, Angels and Demons did make an interesting point to me. There is a wealth of information, art, literature, and history, much of which predates the Catholic Church, contained inside the walls of the Vatican. It’s loss would be a great tragedy to the entire world regardless of religion and culture. (Not sure if the author, was trying to make that point, or one more along the lines of pointing out the sheer wealth of the Catholic Church, but that’s what I got from it).
I fully support that Catholic Church’s decision to not allow it’s churches to be used in the movie, as is their right. However, people seriously need to remember most movies and novels are not real. Harrison Ford is not really the president, there are not really boy wizards with lighting bolt scars, there are no Jedi with lightsabers and we will never encounter a real Klingon. That being said, I’m not holding my breath for any bizarre Catholic Conspiracies to stop scientific Discovery or cover up a modern descendent of Jesus to be unearthed just because Dan Brown wrote about them.