Veiling the Crucifix During Lent

  • Thread starter Thread starter NihilObstatINRI
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NihilObstatINRI

Guest
I was at my home parish this Sunday and, just like last year, the priest has decided that throughout all of Lent our crucifix will be covered. 😦

Long story short: It’s both incorrect and spiritually inappropriate before Passiontide (at the earliest) or Holy Thursday.

I can quote to you the GIRM, Paschale Solemnitatis, the CCCB (my episcopal conference), the USCCB, and EWTN.

When I have to deal with a covered crucifix throughout all of Lent, I believe that it seriously damages my experience at Mass. The worship itself seems directionless. While the tabernacle is in an appropriate place, it is unadorned, and the crucifix should act as a more visual reminder of Christ’s presence.
I believe it really changes the tone of Mass. At least it does for me. Lex Orandi Lex Credendi.
I believe that the covering of the crucifix also adds, intentionally or not, to the common theme these days which makes the priest the centre of the Mass. This is most clear through the common versus orientem posture of the priest that has become the de facto norm, as well as the situation of priests putting their own personal touches to the text of the Mass. By removing the crucifix, my priest seems to be directing attention away from that part of the Sanctuary, and towards himself. It becomes ā€œhis Massā€, no longer the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

In my perfect parish, the Altar, tabernacle, and crucifix would all be placed in the same part of the Sanctuary, but certainly not one of these elements can be removed without serious damage to the Mass. The decision to move tabernacles to side chapels is just as damaging, and just as obviously harmful to us, the faithful. We need to be able to focus our devotion on Christ, and those three elements both work together to help us do so visually. The crucifix reminds us of His crucifixion, the tabernacle of His True Present, and the Altar of His sacrifice of Himself. Lacking one of these elements, we are all impoverished.
 
at my parish they removed the risen Christ from above the altar completely from the cross,and covered up the Crucifix(also the risen Christ) that the accolytes carry in procession to start mass…also the Holy water in the fonts is replaced with sand…
 
at my parish they removed the risen Christ from above the altar completely from the cross,and covered up the Crucifix(also the risen Christ) that the accolytes carry in procession to start mass…also the Holy water in the fonts is replaced with sand…
Well getting rid of a ā€œrisen Christā€ would generally be a good thing, as long as they replaced it with a real crucifix. A ā€œrisen Christ crucifixā€ is an oxymoron. A crucifix depicts Jesus’ suffering, and is far more appropriate for and proper to the Church.
However, what you describe is even worse… and don’t even get me started on sand in the fonts. Doing that is like taking vitamins away from a sick person for Lent. Counter-productive, to say the very least.
 
at my parish they removed the risen Christ from above the altar completely from the cross,and covered up the Crucifix(also the risen Christ) that the accolytes carry in procession to start mass…also the Holy water in the fonts is replaced with sand…
None of these are allowed in the GIRM.
 
What’s the GIRM? And … so then why do they veil the crucifix and remove the holy water from the fonts during the Triduum?
 
What’s the GIRM? And … so then why do they veil the crucifix and remove the holy water from the fonts during the Triduum?
General Instruction on the Roman Missal.
They do that for a very limited time to make a point that Christ died. During that very brief moment in the year we remember the time that Christ had descended into hell. However, it is very brief.
Also, if I recall the documents I sourced correctly, the crucifix should be unveiled after the Good Friday celebration. ā€œThe practice of covering the crosses and images in the church may be observed, if the episcopal conference should so decide. The crosses are to be covered until the end of the celebration of the Lord’s passion on Good Friday. Images are to remain covered until the beginning of the Easter Vigil.ā€
 
What’s the GIRM? And … so then why do they veil the crucifix and remove the holy water from the fonts during the Triduum?
GIRM is the book of rules for the Latin Masses.

The removing of Holy Water from the fonts during the season of Lent is not permitted, in particular, for two reasons:

The liturgical legislation in force does not foresee this innovation, which in addition to being praeter legem is contrary to a balanced understanding of the season of Lent, which though truly being a season of penance, is also a season rich in the symbolism of water and baptism, constantly evoked in liturgical texts.

The encouragement of the Church that the faithful avail themselves frequently of her sacraments is to be understood to apply also to the season of Lent. The ā€œfastā€ and ā€œabstinenceā€ which the faithful embrace in this season does not extend to abstaining from the sacraments or sacramentals of the Church.

**The practice of the Church has been to empty the Holy Water fonts on the days of the Sacred Triduum in preparation of the blessing of the water at the Easter Vigil, and it corresponds to those days on which the Eucharist is not celebrated **(i.e., Good Friday and Holy Saturday only).
 
GIRM is the book of rules for the Latin Masses.

The removing of Holy Water from the fonts during the season of Lent is not permitted, in particular, for two reasons:

The liturgical legislation in force does not foresee this innovation, which in addition to being praeter legem is contrary to a balanced understanding of the season of Lent, which though truly being a season of penance, is also a season rich in the symbolism of water and baptism, constantly evoked in liturgical texts.

The encouragement of the Church that the faithful avail themselves frequently of her sacraments is to be understood to apply also to the season of Lent. The ā€œfastā€ and ā€œabstinenceā€ which the faithful embrace in this season does not extend to abstaining from the sacraments or sacramentals of the Church.

The practice of the Church has been to empty the Holy Water fonts on the days of the Sacred Triduum in preparation of the blessing of the water at the Easter Vigil, and it corresponds to those days on which the Eucharist is not celebrated (i.e., Good Friday and Holy Saturday only).
That’s what I was saying, that our parish has only done it during the Triduum, but I was just needing a clear explanation for why it’s only during this time! Thanks. Any chance I could find a GIRM to use? Then again, maybe I don’t want to know if there are liturgical abuses my parish is commiting, it might drive me crazy 😦
 
That’s what I was saying, that our parish has only done it during the Triduum, but I was just needing a clear explanation for why it’s only during this time! Thanks. Any chance I could find a GIRM to use? Then again, maybe I don’t want to know if there are liturgical abuses my parish is commiting, it might drive me crazy 😦
I find the GIRM very hard to understand, so read it carefully and slowly.

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20030317_ordinamento-messale_en.html
 
Then again, maybe I don’t want to know if there are liturgical abuses my parish is commiting, it might drive me crazy 😦
You may have been kidding when you wrote this, but it’s something to which you should give serious consideration.
 
You may have been kidding when you wrote this, but it’s something to which you should give serious consideration.
Umm I’m not sure what you mean? What exactly do I need to give serious consideration to? I definitely take liturgical abuses seriously (though I’ve never read the GIRM or studied canon law, etc) - to the point that it drives me crazy. And the response? I’ve been classified as over-sensitive. 19 years old. Sometimes I wonder if people even take me seriously …
 
Umm I’m not sure what you mean? What exactly do I need to give serious consideration to? I definitely take liturgical abuses seriously (though I’ve never read the GIRM or studied canon law, etc) - to the point that it drives me crazy. And the response? I’ve been classified as over-sensitive. 19 years old. Sometimes I wonder if people even take me seriously …
I’m not sure if you can quote yourself, but here’s the thing. I want to read the GIRM, but in my present situation, if there was a liturgical abuse happening - unfortunately, I wonder if I would be listened to or could do much about that. Hopefully I’m wrong and I could go to my priest and he would listen. I just don’t want to loose my love for the Mass because all I can think about is that this or that is wrong, because I’m very scrupulous and could see my myself start doing that. That was the emphasis behind my first comment (before the one above) about not being sure if I want to know. Sorry.
 
I’m not sure if you can quote yourself, but here’s the thing. I want to read the GIRM, but in my present situation, if there was a liturgical abuse happening - unfortunately, I wonder if I would be listened to or could do much about that. Hopefully I’m wrong and I could go to my priest and he would listen. I just don’t want to loose my love for the Mass because all I can think about is that this or that is wrong, because I’m very scrupulous and could see my myself start doing that. That was the emphasis behind my first comment (before the one above) about not being sure if I want to know. Sorry.
From someone in a similar situation to you… you can never lose your love for the Mass. However, you will lose your innocence. Then you can do something about it.
The best way to express your love for the Mass is to make it as perfect as you can.
 
From someone in a similar situation to you… you can never lose your love for the Mass. However, you will lose your innocence. Then you can do something about it.
The best way to express your love for the Mass is to make it as perfect as you can.
aww … well said. Thank you. I will give it a try šŸ™‚
 
aww … well said. Thank you. I will give it a try šŸ™‚
Slow steps. šŸ™‚ Start by familiarizing yourself with our Traditions, especially use of Latin in the Mass, Gregorian Chant, and ad orientem. šŸ™‚
 
Slow steps. šŸ™‚ Start by familiarizing yourself with our Traditions, especially use of Latin in the Mass, Gregorian Chant, and ad orientem. šŸ™‚
It’s fine to familiarize yourself with Tradition, however I hope you are not saying that not using those above is an abuse in and of itself…
 
It’s fine to familiarize yourself with Tradition, however I hope you are not saying that not using those above is an abuse in and of itself…
I would say that the exclusive non-use of the above could be considered an abuse. The documents themselves allow use of the vernacular and use of non-chant hymns, however pride of place is specifically given to Latin and Gregorian chant. Ad Orientem appears to be assumed in the Missale Romanum, and the use of versus populum was not really anticipated.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top