Veneration of Mary?

• Thread starter Thread starter Asaur89
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a former Protestant šŸ¤£

There are several ā€œreasonsā€ they donā€™t venerate Mary.
  1. The belief that Mary was not sinless and to say so would be blasphemy
  2. That honoring/bowing to statues or images of her is idolatry
  3. The lack is scriptural proof of her immaculate conception
  4. Even up to a personal envy of a created person having the capability of sinlessness by special favor and graces from God
  5. The lack of NT evidence of intercession from passed saints

I personally struggle (with all due respect to our Blessed Mother) with prayers that seem to have me offer her my soul itself. Yes, yesā€¦ I know that its catholic dogma that we dont worship Mary, but I honestly do not know what to make of the wording of some of the prayers, nevermind how to explain it to a protestant. I genuinely seek help with this.

Last edited:
I think a few things come to mindā€¦

(1) Poetic language - Shakespeare comes to mindā€¦in trying to describe things that are loftyā€¦

(2) The union of Christ to our humanity through her yesā€¦And in so doing, uniquely connecting us to Christ through herā€¦

(3) The original Hebrew for ā€œHonor thy mother & fatherā€ means ā€œGlorifyā€ā€¦

(4) Kecharitomene - Greek for ā€œfull of graceā€. There is a good article about it here:

http://kecharitomene.com/

KK

Last edited:
I have no problem with honoring, glorifying, veneratingā€¦ even consecrating. I simply get a little (again, with all due respect) uncomfortable with ā€œoffering,ā€ myself and my very soul, to our Lady, when it belongs to God alone.

Last edited:
The Ark of the Covenant - in the Holy of Holies in the Temple - an earthly vessel, yet used for sacred purposesā€¦

The Ark of the New Covenant - a human (earthly) being - used for very sacred purposes - appearing in the Temple in heavenā€¦

Last edited:
If youā€™re concerned, St. Louis De Montfort specifically in his ā€˜consecration to Maryā€™ makes it clear that any consecration to Mary, because she is so perfectly aligned in body and soul to Jesus, is a consecration TO Jesus THROUGH Mary. I am sure I canā€™t express so well as he did, but what struck me was the perfect symbolism between Jesus coming to us through Mary, and us coming to Jesus through Mary.

In a sense, Jesus never stopped coming to us through Mary. Itā€™s not like His birth was a one-and-done thing and never to be thought of again once He was here. He chose of all possible ways to be conceived and gestate 9 months in Maryā€™s womb, to then be born to all of us (including all who had been born before Him and all who come after) for a reason. And since He does not change we should really wonder at how we see the woman said would be called ā€˜ever blessedā€™, whose soul sanctifies her Lordā€™ is seen by us.

In a way I think there is both a human ā€˜prideā€™ and a human ā€˜false prideā€™ in the way people hasten to downgrade Mary. We are so full of pride in humanity that we cannot stand to see some other human ā€˜raised above usā€™ when we ā€˜perceiveā€™ how she was exalted for ā€˜no real reasonā€™; many people sneer that Mary never really ā€˜DIDā€ anything and rush to applaud other people who were braved, more ā€˜holyā€™, etc. etc. And we have a false pride too that wants to, at the same time we feel that ā€˜weā€™ are somehow better than some ā€˜ignorant peasant girlā€™ who never showed any REAL greatnessā€™, where we blather about how no HUMAN can ever be as good as God (which is true, but we arenā€™t saying it to glorify God but instead to sneer at Mary), where we indignantly claim how no mere HUMAN is ever ā€˜goodā€™ but at the same time, inside weā€™re all judgmental and even if our LIPS are saying ā€˜humbleā€™, we think OURSELVES by our finding fault with Mary to be showing REAL HUMILITY. We think that if everybody else is unworthy, weā€™re showing by our loud denial of any ā€˜goodā€™ in people that actually WE are pretty wonderful. Dang near perfect.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

And if your friend refers to the ground Jesus walked on as Holyā€¦His mother is much more Holy rhen that

Thanks, I noticed that this personal dimension is connected to beliefs, but it is strange how something donā€™t come up to someoneā€™s mind, even accidentally.

Anyone struggling, look at the 5 precepts of the Church. Nothing in there about any of the classic ā€œdreadedā€ Catholic practices.

We all have the same cake, but desire to frost it differently. Marian devotion is one frosting on the cake of salvation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back