Verses about Mortal and Venial Sins?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Boxerdog
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Boxerdog

Guest
I am in a debate and I was wondering what verses deal with these two different sins. Thanks
 
I am in a debate and I was wondering what verses deal with these two different sins. Thanks
I John 5:15-16. Some translations use the words “unto death” (i.e., deadly, i.e., mortal).

Those who dislike the Scriptural distinction between mortal and venial sin (not mortal), say that the only deadly sin is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

Sometimes, if in dialogue with Protestants, they will “get it” if you phrase it their way. Venial sin is “stumbling.” Mortal sin is “backsliding.”
 
I am in a debate and I was wondering what verses deal with these two different sins. Thanks
1 John 5, 16-17: If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.
 
I am in a debate and I was wondering what verses deal with these two different sins. Thanks
Mortal sins are grave sins which greatly offend God and can cause one to lose their salvation. Paul makes this list a few times in his writings, here are some examples:
9Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. - 1 Corinthians 6

19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. - Galatians 5
 
1 John 5, 16-17: If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.
Yes, it’s right there in John’s epistle.
 
If your debate is with a Protestant, here’s 1 John 5:16-17 from the KJV “If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.”
 
One version of the passage in 1 John quoted in this thread says,

“If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.”

while the other version of the same passage quoted says,

“If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.”

Can any CAF participants who read Koine Greek enlighten us as to whether the original text is referring to “sin” in general or “a (one) sin” in particular?

Whether or not we must interpret this passage to be referring to the unforgivable sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit seems to rest on this nuance. I would like to use it as a proof text for the Catholic distinction between mortal and venial sin, but do not wish to force the text to say what I want it to say.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top