Vestment Colors

  • Thread starter Thread starter mystified
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you folks from the Chi-town can correct me, but I remember hearing or reading something that when Cardinal George took over, he mandated that gray or a grayish white be worn at funerals. Did I hear or understand incorrectly?
 
Maybe you folks from the Chi-town can correct me, but I remember hearing or reading something that when Cardinal George took over, he mandated that gray or a grayish white be worn at funerals. Did I hear or understand incorrectly?
I can’t find anything on the Archdiocese webpage. Searches for the word grey or gray come up empty.

Let me offer some speculation. I rather doubt that the Cardinal would have mandated gray vestments because gray is not a liturgical color.

On the other hand, it would not surprise me to learn that he might have suggested (or even mandated) that funeral vestments not be of a festive color-scheme. In other words,to say that a funeral vestment which is white-with-grey-trim is to be preferred over a vestment of white-with-gold-trim.

I am curious to know if anyone has any documentation on this.
 
I would think that a shade that could be described as grey would be considered silver: like gold, a shade for solemn Masses. Like when gold is used, the dominant color of the chasuble would be in the trim. Just like a gold chasuble chiefly trimmed in red is a red one, chiefly trimmed in violet is a violet one, chiefly trimmed in green is a green one, and so on, I would think a grey chasuble chiefly trimmed in red is a red one. Otherwise, I’d think grey would count as a shade of black.

Having said that, in a case like this, what the vestment maker had in mind and what the priest wearing the chasuble thinks cannot be safely assumed to be the same thing. A person does not have to be licensed in knowledge of liturgical colors to make a chasuble and stole, after all. Unfortunately, the dominant color of a beatiful vestment can be a bit too ambiguous to be practical.
 
Just a curiosity, Does anyone still wear the Maniple any more? I know that it always got in the way but it was kind neat the see in the old pictures of priests.
 
Just a curiosity, Does anyone still wear the Maniple any more? I know that it always got in the way but it was kind neat the see in the old pictures of priests.
I don’t know about the Catholic posters, but they do at my Anglican Church, and so did my university chapel. When I was there I was a server often, and we had a lot of visiting priests who were really flummoxed by the maniples and some of the other vestments too. Sometimes they tried to “forget” them in the room they vested in.
 
Just a curiosity, Does anyone still wear the Maniple any more? I know that it always got in the way but it was kind neat the see in the old pictures of priests.
The maniple is still worn in the EF. Occasionally, or so I’m told, it also appears at the OF, particularly in those rare cases when it is offered in its “reform of the reform” mode.
 
Just a curiosity, Does anyone still wear the Maniple any more? I know that it always got in the way but it was kind neat the see in the old pictures of priests.
Yep, I see it everytime I go to the EF, and usually at the OF in my parish church as well.

The vast vast majority of times I have been to mass at other parishes, I have, sadly, not seen it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top