Violence to defend Christianity

  • Thread starter Thread starter divinefaith
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

divinefaith

Guest
I am basing this question on this particular article:

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/...-festival-show-cancelled-over-bloodshed-fears

It talks about a situation where a Lebanese rock band received death threats for being blasphemous. Their show has been cancelled due to concerns of violence erupting.

From what I know about our faith we are forbidden from aggressive behaviors (unless we have just reasons such as self-defence).

This situation has disappointed me. I certainly oppose the blasphemy displayed by this band.
However, I’m also disappointed that people who claim to ‘defend’ our faith would resort to death threats and intimidation. The violence in this case appears to be objectively mortally sinful.

Can any forum members please confirm that our faith does not condone aggression (neither in word nor action), even in situations where other people ridicule our beliefs?

Sadly, I begun to question whether or not the actions of those inciting violence could be justified. I dislike that I’m even questioning something that should be straight forward 😞

Thanks in advance
 
Last edited:
Can any forum members please confirm that our faith does not condone aggression (neither in word nor action), even in situations where other people ridicule our beliefs?
Depends on how you define aggression. Death threats are wrong but I would have no issues with a group of protestors outside the venue.
 
Let’s see. A catholic is asked to do two things.
  • Defend his faith to death
  • Love his neighbor, which implies no violence without provocation
If we’re insulted, then we should accept it without running away from it. If a Christian should say attack person Z for saying something ridiculously blasphemous of Jesus. I am morally obliged to condemn the violence, not take the position of the attacker and apologize to person Z on his behalf (we are one body remember?).

But we shouldn’t go the other extreme. I would still criticize Z for saying blasphemous things but first I will apologize to him. Blasphemy doesn’t merit violence, but it deserve a response and a clear stand.
 
Also morally speaking, for me at least,

Religious sentiment trumps holding a music concert to promote blasphemy
Protection from violence trumps Religious sentiment
 
I think people need to investivate what form tbe blasphemy actually takes and decide if the claim is justified.
 
I’m not sure what Saints you’re referring to. Either way, Saints were not sinless.
 
That’s exactly how I picture the true Christian response to be.
 
The only justification I can see for violence in defense of Christianity would be the Just War theory of Saints Augustine of Hippo and Thomas Aquinas.

To me, it boils down to this: If there’s no way to defend against a threat non violently; then violence is justified. As long as the appropriate level of force is applied to the proper targets; all done as humanely and efficiently as possible in order to end the threat as quickly as possible and restore peace fairly.
 
I think this is a pop media/culture issue. As to physical violence, there is the just war doctrine (defensive) and also the lawful defense of innocent life.
 
In general, the answer to the thread title, is “no”.

In this case, it’s a rock concert. What is the blasphemy? Is it blasphemous lyrics? Then don’t buy a ticket and if the subject comes up, explain why you won’t support the band.
(Also be careful of making too much of it and thereby giving the band free publicity)
If the blasphemy was to desecrate a Host, then you could be justified to rescue the Host and if anybody physically attacked you, you could fight back with proportionate means to the immediate threat.
 
Oh yeah, he was all, “I’m here to pass out presents and punch heretics - and I’m all out of presents…”
 
Oh yes, he’s also famous for decking the heretic Arius at the Council of Nicea.
 
Doesn’t sound like anything credible. However, that the band clearly supports globo-homo isn’t going to be popular with Lebanese Christians or Muslims.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top