Warning preceding certain episode of "Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends"

• Thread starter Thread starter Maxirad
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Black and White Minstrels was Saturday night family entertainment up until the late 70’s.
I remember television shows back to the early 60’s, and in the US that sort of thing most certainly wasn’t among them.
And a sitcom called Love Thy Neighbour from the 70’s:
The US show “All in the Family” comes to mind, but no one with a lick of sense would be offended by it or think that it should carry a warning. Perhaps it was a very different show, one can’t really judge without watching several episodes of each.

Then again, this reactionary “woke” childishness isn’t about having a lick of sense.

Last edited:
I loved that cartoon show when I was a kid.

That show ingrained Stan Lee’s voice in my mind.

Sandford and Son was too. Based on Steptoe and Son. Steptoe and Son was a BBC show in the 60s, starring Wilfrid Brambell, who also played Paul McCartney’s fictional and troublemaking grandfather in “A Hard Day’s Night” (Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Last edited:
48.png
Freddy:
The Black and White Minstrels was Saturday night family entertainment up until the late 70’s.
I remember television shows back to the early 60’s, and in the US that sort of thing most certainly wasn’t among them.
And a sitcom called Love Thy Neighbour from the 70’s:
The US show “All in the Family” comes to mind, but no one with a lick of sense would be offended by it or think that it should carry a warning. Perhaps it was a very different show, one can’t really judge without watching several episodes of each.

Then again, this reactionary “woke” childishness isn’t about having a lick of sense.
The B and W Minstrels were probably too close to home even for the US in the seventies. But Love Thy Neighbour was appalingly bad, playing on all the black stereotypes just for laughs. As opposed to All In The Family which held up racist attitudes and brought them into the sunlight so we could see them for what they were.

It was based on a British sitcom called ‘Till Death Do Us Part’. The Archie Bunker character in Till Death was as obnoxious and racist as you could possibly imagine. But whereas the butt of the jokes in Love They Neighbour were invariably the sterotypically black family, it was the Bunker character (Alf Garnet) who was shown to be the fool that he was. Brilliantly written and a landmark in UK television.

The B and W Minstrels would not be shown today. Under any circumstances whatsoever. Nor Love They Neighbour. The other two shows would probably carry a warning because some of the language is not what people would expect to be allowed today and a brief watching might lead one to accept them at face value and would not be enough to understand what the shows were actually about. Heaven knows there were more ‘letters to the editor’ by ‘disgusted of Surrey’ from people who didn’t understand the underlying message than probably any other TV programme before or since.

I’m not sure where the ‘woke childishness’ comment comes into it…?

I’m referring to the kind of immature numbskullery that needs to feed its own imagined moral superiority by rewriting Mark Twain or placing emotional warning stickers on innocuous comic books.

48.png
Freddy:
I’m referring to the kind of immature numbskullery that needs to feed its own imagined moral superiority by rewriting Mark Twain or placing emotional warning stickers on innocuous comic books.
I didn’t know Twain had been flagged for anything. But if you were going to show a B and W Minstrel show in context, surely you’d need to mention that it was being shown in context and didn’t represent the views of whomever was showing it.

There are very good reasons why this material isn’t being repeated on prime time. And it’s not to support feelings of moral superiority. Although I’m sure some people would find it difficult not to feel that their sense of morality was somehow greater than anyone who found this material innocuous.

Edit: Whoa. Asleep at the wheel there. Of course Twain wrote Huck Finn. But a case that shows the point I was making. If I gave the book to my kids to read when they were young then I would have needed to explain that there are terms in the book which are unacceptable now but which were common when Twain wrote it.

If I hadn’t done that then the book might have given them the idea that those terms are ok to use now. Or that they are not ok and Twain was a racist. Which he wasn’t. So I’m sure you’d agree that we need to explain this to children.

Last edited:
I remember years ago, when the German Air Force was stationed at Holloman Air Force Base, the local community music theatre in nearby Alamogordo had “The Sound of Music” come up in their rotation of about 8 different musicals that they performed 2 or 3 times a year. Realizing that the German community might take offense or feel that they were being labeled as “Nazis”, the director made it a point to say that the performance did not intend to encourage or promote the idea that Germans are synonymous with Nazis and that it was not their intention to offend anyone by their performance. I don’t know if anyone actually did get offended or not, and I believe a few references to Germans (such as when Georg says “some of us prefer Austrian voices raised in song to ugly German threats”) were removed.

Edit: Whoa. Asleep at the wheel there. Of course Twain wrote Huck Finn. But a case that shows the point I was making. If I gave the book to my kids to read when they were young then I would have needed to explain that there are terms in the book which are unacceptable now but which were common when Twain wrote it.
That’s not the same thing at all.

48.png
Freddy:
That’s not the same thing at all.
Weren’t we talking about warning modern sensibilities about what was considered acceptable back in the day but not now?

Weren’t we talking about warning modern sensibilities about what was considered acceptable back in the day but not now?
I thought that we were talking about pandering to emotional immaturity.

48.png
Freddy:
I thought that we were talking about pandering to emotional immaturity.
So you don’t think that the type of warnings that I’ve been talking about were examples of that.

That’s a relief…

No, it’s not justified. It’s ridiculous. What the heck is an “Asian accent” anyway? I didn’t’ know there was an “Asian” language.

The characters are supposed to be FROM JAPAN. So it’s obvious that they would have Japanese accents (or that the voice actor was trying to provide one).

How many movies have we seen where an American is hired to play a character with a British accent, or a British actor is hired to play a character with an American accent.

Or an Asian American (who grew up in American and doesn’t speak an Asian language) is hired to play an Asian character with an “Asian accent.”

Heck, there have been hispanic Americans (who don’t know how to speak Spanish) hired to act in a Spanish language films/tv shows.

They learn their lines in Spanish, learn the accent, do the film/tv show… but they don’t know the language.

So yes, this article reaction is ridiculous. Disney’s reaction, not so much. I’m fine with Disney giving parents small warnings.

HOWEVER, I wish they would give the warnings about EVERYTHING. If there is going to be a homosexual moment, I wish they would give a warning about that (and other things that liberals think is OK but goes against traditional morality)

Last edited:
One thing this thread does highlight is how immoral Hollywood has ALWAYS been!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back