That’s what’s interesting/complex about being a Jew. (Did you click on the
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_is_a_jew link? It’s a cultural thing, a religious thing, a genetic thing…
In general, Jewish parents would love for their children to marry another Jew. Our existence has been threatened so many times in history that continuing the lineage holds some significance. And we don’t do the whole evangelism thing bc we like to stay a little bit exclusive! This explains why we have similar genes.
Our ancestors are from Israel. Despite the diaspora and mixed marriages, there is still something distinct about being a Jew isn’t there? Because even if a group of Jews moved away from Israel, they still stuck together. I feel like because of the
cultural and
religious suggestion or inclination to stay together, our genes have too. And this inclination doesn’t seem to be present so much in other cultures or religions. It is something unique about Jewish identity.
I’m so many things…I’m American. I’m Catholic. I’m Irish, German, Hungarian, and Russian. I’m atheist. and I’m Jewish. If someone said to a crowd and I’m in it, “who out there is Russian?” I’m not going to say Me! If they say “who out there is Catholic?” I’m not going to say Me!
I celebrate Christmas, not Hanukkah (anymore). I barely remember the story of Passover and never even heard about the Talmud until a world religions class I took in college. but if someone said “who out there is Jewish?” I
would say ME!!! I have the genes of a Jew. I don’t have the genes of a Catholic. It’s a unique identity that may or may not involve the religion of one’s mother, the religion of one’s father, the ethnicity of one’s mother or father, the religion the person was raised as, the religion they are now, their nationality, and their upbringing (in a decidedly Jewish culture or household).
I used to feel uncertain when I would say I was a Jew…I knew I was, but seeing as how I didn’t know much about Judaism, I thought it was kind of a lie. Now I know that you don’t have to be religiously Jewish - in fact, you can even be a Christian or anything you want to be! - but you are still a Jew if your mother is.