U
utunumsint
Guest
I know this is a big faux pas in a Socratic dialogue, but may I ask a question?
Much of our discussion in this thread regarding the interpretation of specific points of scripture really depends on certain presuppositions about the nature of Church. Is it hierarchical, is it authoritative, does it have a leader, etc…
Would it be accurate to say that in many ways, an interpretation of Matthew 16 and 18 depends upon these ecclesiastical pressupositions? For example, does protestant ecclesiology motivate one to reject Peter as the second rock in Matthew 16, or to try and remove any superior binding authority from Peter in the keys? The same question could be asked to Catholics as well, I suppose.
Maybe arriving at some consensus on what is “Church” may be helpful to resolve some of our issues with Matthew 16.
I’ll leave it up to you if you want to run with this thought Soc.
God bless,
Ut
Maybe as a start, we could ask if the church is made up of bishops, priests, deacons, and laity? Is there historical and biblical support for this? Does this structure constitute “Church”?
Or perhaps I should wait for you to pose the questions Soc?
It just seems to me that if we have not defined the “Church” part of “on this rock I will build my Church”, that maybe we don’t have all the elements we need to properly define who the rock is.
Much of our discussion in this thread regarding the interpretation of specific points of scripture really depends on certain presuppositions about the nature of Church. Is it hierarchical, is it authoritative, does it have a leader, etc…
Would it be accurate to say that in many ways, an interpretation of Matthew 16 and 18 depends upon these ecclesiastical pressupositions? For example, does protestant ecclesiology motivate one to reject Peter as the second rock in Matthew 16, or to try and remove any superior binding authority from Peter in the keys? The same question could be asked to Catholics as well, I suppose.
Maybe arriving at some consensus on what is “Church” may be helpful to resolve some of our issues with Matthew 16.
I’ll leave it up to you if you want to run with this thought Soc.
God bless,
Ut
Maybe as a start, we could ask if the church is made up of bishops, priests, deacons, and laity? Is there historical and biblical support for this? Does this structure constitute “Church”?
Or perhaps I should wait for you to pose the questions Soc?