S
Socrates4Jesus
Guest
PC: Perhaps your confusion stems from your lack of understanding of the nature of grace or the sacraments.
SOC: Perhaps.
PC: Are you aware that the Catholic Church teaches that we partake of the body and blood of Christ, as he told us to in John 6, in order to gain the Lord’s Immortality?
SOC: Yes, i’m quite aware of this. I’ve learned much from two discussion threads on the topic of the Eucharist. There were more than 1,800 posts, if i recall correctly, and much of the discussion focused on what the meaning of Christ’s words were in the sixth chapter of John’s gospel.
PC: And which interpretation of the early Church Father fits Jesus’ words in John 6?
SOC: I’m not sure.
PC: Isn’t it true that the Church Father was speaking of drinking the blood of Jesus to become partaker of the Lord’s immortality; the Spirit being the energetic principle of the Word, as blood is of flesh? Why wouldn’t your answer be that “He said he was drinking the blood of Jesus. He says nothing about Symbolism.” This is consistent with what Jesus said in John 6, which caused most of his disciples to leave and it’s consistent with the entire list of ECF’s I gave you, covering the first 10 generations of Christians."
SOC: Well, i’m not so sure Jesus was speaking literally. It seems to me that eating the flesh and drinking the blood of someone is a metaphor that was used extensively in the Old Testament–a metaphor that would have been readily recognized by Jesus’ Jewish audience. To threaten to drink someone’s blood or devour his flesh was symbolic of threatening to kill him. In John, chapter 6, Jesus might have been saying this: Unless the Jewish people put him to death, they would have no chance of receiving eternal life.
PC: Well, we can return to John 6, in a moment. But first, let me ask you this: How could you allow a statement of Trust of an ECF over trust in Jesus? It is nothing of the sort!
PP: Objection! Leading the witness.
JUDGE: Sustained.
PC: Let me restate. Socrates, is it possible that this is NOT about a Catholic Saint knowing more about salvation than the Son of God?
SOC: Yes, that’s possible.
PC: Then, it’s also possible this is about a Catholic Saint explaining what he heard from his predecessors about what the Son of God said. Isn’t it?
SOC: Yes.
PC: And now that you are paying closer attention to the Church Father’s words, do you recognize that he is explaining the real presence in the Same way that Jesus did in John 6 and that his explanation of the real presence is explained in the same way by the next 10 generations of Christian Fathers and in fact is the same explanation given by the Catholic Church today?
SOC: That’s possible, but a possibility does not always a reality make. I know it’s possible, i just don’t know it’s actual.
PC: Are not the Protestants who deny the Real presence doing the same thing that the dissenting disciples did in John 6, turning your back on Christ because you couldn’t accept his teachings the way he meant them to be understood?
SOC: That’s possible, but it’s also possible that Catholics who disagree with them are making this mistake, instead. It’s because the meaning of Christ’s words are ambiguous, i think–at least, no one has been able to show me they are not. And several Catholics even agree with me, although they say the Church Fathers will reveal the truth to me. But that’s just it, don’t you see? This Church Father’s words are just as unclear as Christ’s! They are no help to me, but perhaps the words of another might be.
PC: Socrates, are you aware that on the day of your death, you will need to answer to your actions before the Lord. When he asks you, “Why did you not believe me when I said, ‘Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink’? (John 6: 53-55).”
PP: Your Honor, I object to this! The defense is badgering the witness!
JUDGE: Sustained. Counselor, one more outburst like that in my courtroom and I’ll put you in contempt! Save your hell fire and damnation preaching for the soap box outside. In here, you will keep your dogmatic threats to your self! Am I clear?
PC: Very clear, your honor. Again, my apologies. Socrates, on the day of judgment (which not just you but every one will face, Catholic and Protestant, alike) what will you say? Will you say, “Lord, you were ambiguous?” What would be your response if he told you, “No, It was clear to all those whose hearts were open to the truth. The truth was held by the Church I founded and they shared that with you, did they not? Why didn’t you listen to them?” (I’m speaking hypothetically, of course, and not making any “dogmatic threats”.)
SOC: Well, i suppose i’d say, “You promised, Lord, that the truth would set me free. You also promised me that if i sought the truth, i would find it. The truth i found was is that your words were unclear. I admit i don’t see how coming to the knowledge of the truth that your words lack clarity could set me free. But i never gave up hope. I never doubted the truth of your words. I never doubted you, only my ability to know what you really meant. If you believe i deserve hell for my ignorance, i accept your judgment. How could i argue with you? Only, i’m sure you understand that this ignorance is not what i wanted, nor was it something i was complacent to have. I did my best, through prayer, dialog, and seeking the truth, to cure my condition. This uncertainty is a disease, but i never stopped looking for the cure.”
PC: At some point, you need to take a stand, Soc.
SOC: Yes, but i want to stand on what i know is the truth, not on what might be a lie. I want to know where i stand.
Let me know if you have any further questions for me, or if i should leave the witness stand.
SOC: Perhaps.
PC: Are you aware that the Catholic Church teaches that we partake of the body and blood of Christ, as he told us to in John 6, in order to gain the Lord’s Immortality?
SOC: Yes, i’m quite aware of this. I’ve learned much from two discussion threads on the topic of the Eucharist. There were more than 1,800 posts, if i recall correctly, and much of the discussion focused on what the meaning of Christ’s words were in the sixth chapter of John’s gospel.
PC: And which interpretation of the early Church Father fits Jesus’ words in John 6?
SOC: I’m not sure.
PC: Isn’t it true that the Church Father was speaking of drinking the blood of Jesus to become partaker of the Lord’s immortality; the Spirit being the energetic principle of the Word, as blood is of flesh? Why wouldn’t your answer be that “He said he was drinking the blood of Jesus. He says nothing about Symbolism.” This is consistent with what Jesus said in John 6, which caused most of his disciples to leave and it’s consistent with the entire list of ECF’s I gave you, covering the first 10 generations of Christians."
SOC: Well, i’m not so sure Jesus was speaking literally. It seems to me that eating the flesh and drinking the blood of someone is a metaphor that was used extensively in the Old Testament–a metaphor that would have been readily recognized by Jesus’ Jewish audience. To threaten to drink someone’s blood or devour his flesh was symbolic of threatening to kill him. In John, chapter 6, Jesus might have been saying this: Unless the Jewish people put him to death, they would have no chance of receiving eternal life.
PC: Well, we can return to John 6, in a moment. But first, let me ask you this: How could you allow a statement of Trust of an ECF over trust in Jesus? It is nothing of the sort!
PP: Objection! Leading the witness.
JUDGE: Sustained.
PC: Let me restate. Socrates, is it possible that this is NOT about a Catholic Saint knowing more about salvation than the Son of God?
SOC: Yes, that’s possible.
PC: Then, it’s also possible this is about a Catholic Saint explaining what he heard from his predecessors about what the Son of God said. Isn’t it?
SOC: Yes.
PC: And now that you are paying closer attention to the Church Father’s words, do you recognize that he is explaining the real presence in the Same way that Jesus did in John 6 and that his explanation of the real presence is explained in the same way by the next 10 generations of Christian Fathers and in fact is the same explanation given by the Catholic Church today?
SOC: That’s possible, but a possibility does not always a reality make. I know it’s possible, i just don’t know it’s actual.
PC: Are not the Protestants who deny the Real presence doing the same thing that the dissenting disciples did in John 6, turning your back on Christ because you couldn’t accept his teachings the way he meant them to be understood?
SOC: That’s possible, but it’s also possible that Catholics who disagree with them are making this mistake, instead. It’s because the meaning of Christ’s words are ambiguous, i think–at least, no one has been able to show me they are not. And several Catholics even agree with me, although they say the Church Fathers will reveal the truth to me. But that’s just it, don’t you see? This Church Father’s words are just as unclear as Christ’s! They are no help to me, but perhaps the words of another might be.
PC: Socrates, are you aware that on the day of your death, you will need to answer to your actions before the Lord. When he asks you, “Why did you not believe me when I said, ‘Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink’? (John 6: 53-55).”
PP: Your Honor, I object to this! The defense is badgering the witness!
JUDGE: Sustained. Counselor, one more outburst like that in my courtroom and I’ll put you in contempt! Save your hell fire and damnation preaching for the soap box outside. In here, you will keep your dogmatic threats to your self! Am I clear?
PC: Very clear, your honor. Again, my apologies. Socrates, on the day of judgment (which not just you but every one will face, Catholic and Protestant, alike) what will you say? Will you say, “Lord, you were ambiguous?” What would be your response if he told you, “No, It was clear to all those whose hearts were open to the truth. The truth was held by the Church I founded and they shared that with you, did they not? Why didn’t you listen to them?” (I’m speaking hypothetically, of course, and not making any “dogmatic threats”.)
SOC: Well, i suppose i’d say, “You promised, Lord, that the truth would set me free. You also promised me that if i sought the truth, i would find it. The truth i found was is that your words were unclear. I admit i don’t see how coming to the knowledge of the truth that your words lack clarity could set me free. But i never gave up hope. I never doubted the truth of your words. I never doubted you, only my ability to know what you really meant. If you believe i deserve hell for my ignorance, i accept your judgment. How could i argue with you? Only, i’m sure you understand that this ignorance is not what i wanted, nor was it something i was complacent to have. I did my best, through prayer, dialog, and seeking the truth, to cure my condition. This uncertainty is a disease, but i never stopped looking for the cure.”
PC: At some point, you need to take a stand, Soc.
SOC: Yes, but i want to stand on what i know is the truth, not on what might be a lie. I want to know where i stand.
Let me know if you have any further questions for me, or if i should leave the witness stand.