J
joe370
Guest
Of course they do Soc; I used to say the same thing, until I realized that believing this was/is tantamount to saying: the Holy Spirit failed!!! If the C.C. (or should I say: the holy spirit) - didn’t drop the ball, then there would be no need for a man-made church to pick up the ball (dropped by the Holy Spirit) - and continue to run down field.But Joe, how do you know? How do you know the Catholic Church, which had once been God-made, is not now man-made? That’s what Protestants tell me–the Catholic Church dropped the ball, the Protestant Church picked up the ball and continued to run down field. And God put the Catholic Church on the bench until they were ready to play the game by his rules. The Protestant team is the one He now has on the world’s field.
![]()
For the sake of argument, let’s assume they are right. If the Catholic Church is on the bench until they are ready to play the game by Jesus’ rules, then which church stemming from the protestant reformation did what the holy spirit failed to do? Perhaps it’s one of the Lutheran churches stemming from the 16th century Martin Luther movement. Perhaps it’s one of the churches stemming from the 16th century Calvin movement, or the Knox movement, or the Zwingli movement? Or, perhaps it’s one of the many Evangelical churches? I could do this all day! Is the holy spirit guiding all of these 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st century churches into all truth?
Jesus said to just one church on Pentecost:
But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.
*But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.
*
*But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. *
*And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever.
*
Did Jesus lie to His established church when He said that He would be with His church forever? I mean, if the C.C. is the church built by Jesus, and she, as the bride of Christ is sitting the bench until she is ready to play the game by Jesus’ rules, then why did He say that He would be with His church forever…guide His church into all truth?
According to protestant argument, Jesus left the C.C. in the 16th century, or was it the 17th century when when one of these 17th century churches picked up the ball after one of these 16th century churches dropped the ball? Or was it the 18th or the 19th or the 20th or the 21st century? Or perhaps it will be some church in the future that will finally pick up the ball and run it into the end zone.
I don’t believe for one second that an all knowing/loving and powerfully omnipotent, omniscient God, Who created all things and knows all things would drop the ball, even though He has to deal with stubborn and intractable, sinful human beings, (endowed with free will) - that comprise His established church.
Do you? The fact that Jesus’ established church has remained one and united, in light of the fact that the gates of hell encroach unceasingly, with all its might, from within and without, for the better part of 2000 years, is a miracle in and of itself. Wouldn’t you agree?