I’m stating that Baptisms prior to Christ’s Ascension were ineffective, compared to Baptisms afterwards. Nothing more.
Show me where ECF’s said that Sacramental Baptisms were performed prior to this Event. If the Church teaches this, then I will gladly apologize and thank you brothers and sisters for showing me the truth.
I’m not here merely to argue.
This is from the classic theology series “The sacraments : a dogmatic treatise (Volume 1)” - Pohle, Joseph, 1852-1922—Preuss, Arthur, 1871-1934
“…the institution of the Sacrament of Baptism coincides with the beginning of our Lord’s public career. Scotus says : " The disciples of Christ baptized before the passion; whence it follows that the Sacrament was instituted before that
event, though the Gospel tells us nothing about the exact time.” 2*
**St. Augustine:**When almost all felt the force of this argument,
Fortunius attempted to meet it by saying, that before the Lord’s Passion that communion with a wicked man did no harm to the apostles, because they had not as yet the baptism of Christ, but the baptism of John only. When he said this, I asked him to explain how it was written that Jesus baptized more disciples than John, though Jesus Himself baptized not, but His disciples, that is to say, baptized by means of His disciples? John 4:1-2 How could they give what they had not received (a question often used by the Donatists themselves)? Did Christ baptize with the baptism of John? I was prepared to ask many other questions in connection with this opinion of Fortunius; such as— how John himself was interrogated as to the Lord’s baptizing, and replied that He had the bride, and was the Bridegroom? John 3:29 Was it, then, lawful for the Bridegroom to baptize with the baptism of him who was but a friend or servant? ***Again, how could they receive the Eucharist if not previously baptized? Or how could the Lord in that case have said in reply to Peter, who was willing to be wholly washed by Him, “He that is washed needs not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit”? John 13:10 For perfect cleansing is by the baptism, not of John, but of the Lord, if the person receiving it be worthy; if, however, he be unworthy, the sacraments abide in him, not to his salvation, but to his perdition. ***When I was about to put these questions, Fortunius himself saw that he ought not to have mooted the subject of the baptism of the disciples of the Lord.
Letter 44, Ch. 5
I like St. Augustine. He’s my patron saint, so we have an understanding.
Here’s the verse he referenced:
Jesus said to him, “Whoever has bathed has no need except to have his feet washed, for he is clean all over; so you are clean, but not all.” John 13:10.
It seems to refer to the ability of their baptism to have made them clean, which Augustine references. He also apparently used my same remark about the baptism and the Eucharist many centuries before I thought I was very clever using it. Humbling…
brb3, this one is for you:
But if John, as he himself confessed, did not baptize with the Spirit, it follows that he did not forgive sins either, for no man has his sins remitted without the Holy Ghost.
Or if you contentiously argue that, because the baptism of John was from heaven, therefore sins were forgiven by it, show me what more there is for us to get in Christ’s baptism. Because it forgives sins, it releases from Gehenna. Because it releases from Gehenna, it is perfect. But no baptism can be called perfect except that which depends on the cross and resurrection of Christ.
St. Jerome dialogue against luciferians
Now, that being said, I’ve scoured the fathers, and there are a myriad of views. St. Thomas, Augustine, Ambrose and Gregory of Nanzianzen agree with my proposition that baptism was Sacramental in the gospels. Others do not. Tertullian agrees with Brb3 that Jesus was giving John’s baptism. I take that one with a grain of salt (since he is the only one I could find that thinks that), but the point being, there is room in the fathers for all of our views. I hope I have shown that there is support for my viewpoint, Notworthy, for not only my contention of Sacramental baptism, but also my contention that it is possible Jesus baptized some of the apostles based on Clement of Alexandria and the two independent Coptic references. At the very least, this has been a truly stimulating discussion.