Thanks Bookcat. I agree after reading Pope Benedictâs remarks. I also know St. Thomas is not infallible but I wonder what the church has said about St. Thomasâ quote? Hereâs the whole thing:
â
On the contrary, Augustine says in a sermon on the Epiphany (Append. Serm., clxxxv): âAs soon as
Christ was plunged into the waters, the waters washed away the
sins of all.â But this was before
Christâs Passion. Therefore
Baptism was instituted before
Christâs Passion.
I answer that, As stated above (Question 62, Article 1),
sacraments derive from their institution the power of conferring
grace. Wherefore it seems that a
sacrament is then instituted, when it receives the power of producing its effect. Now
Baptism received this power when
Christ was
baptized. Consequently
Baptism was
truly instituted then, if we consider it as a
sacrament.â (Summa, Part 3, Q66, Art 2)
He may say something else later that I havenât found so Iâm going to look. I donât mean to belabor this but I really, really want to get to the bottom of it. What I mean is that I want to know how to square this quote from the Summa with what Pope Benedict said if itâs possible. I may be reading into it too much. Also, I may call in and ask Tim Staples this week if possible to see what he would say.
Thanks for all your comments. They do mean a lot to me.