We must STOP EBAY from selling the Eucharist! (4-19-05)

  • Thread starter Thread starter GodBlessJoanie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a different tack given the ebay wouldn’t give a rat’s patoot if it were a consecrated host or a ritz cracker. I told them that the items are very likely fraudulent, cannot be authenticated and they will be in big trouble if someone proves they are selling fraudulent material. I know ebay has a very significant concern about fraud or misrepresentation. Maybe this will help. I am a longtime ebayer and I always put my ebay name up on my comments. I will let ya’ll know if I hear back from them.

Lisa N
 
👍 Lisa,

What an excellent idea! We can beat them at their own game! I’m going to send another email also…
Lemme know what they tell you!
Blessings,
Joanie
 
I just thought everyone here would be interested in signing some large petitions concerning Ebay’s sacrilege. Here are links to two different ones. If anyone can think of other concrete ways (besides what has already been suggested), please post the group. I think if we all brainstorm about it, we could come up with a good long list of actions to take to protest this.

http://www.petitiononline.com/bbsdofj/petition.html

http://www.tfp.org/student_action/activities/protests/ebay_request.htm

In Jesus through Mary,

Laura
Indianapolis, IN
 
I recieved this email the other day, anybody else hear this?

LifeSiteNews.com
Wednesday April 20, 2005


eBay Pulls Sale of Consecrated Communion Host After 9,000 Complaints Received

SAN JOSE, California, April 20, 2005 (LifeSiteNews.com) – eBay confirmed to LifeSiteNews.com today that the company voluntarily cancelled a listing for a consecrated Host.

It was not clear at the time of this publishing that the company policy had changed to ban all similar sales. A customer representative named Joshua, when asked why he thought eBay pulled the listing, told LifeSiteNews.com that “it could have been the eight or nine thousand complaints we received.”

The cancellation is no doubt the result of backlash from faithful Catholics – outraged at the offence this had caused – but is likely also in part due to a letter from Archbishop Charles Chaput of Denver, as reported by the Catholic News Agency Tuesday.

In the letter addressed to eBay president Meg Whitman, Archbishop Chaput said, “the sale of a consecrated communion host by anyone, under any circumstance, is a very serious sacrilege for Catholics and therefore an equally serious insult to the Catholic community.”

Following the controversy that erupted last week over the listing of a communion Host consecrated at a papal Mass, eBay listed another, described as “Holy Communion wafer blessed by Pope John Paul II.” Desecration of the original Sacred Host was avoided, after Diocese of Sioux City, Iowa, administrator Monsignor Roger J. Augustine met with the seller Friday and was advised that the sale would not be consummated.

The seller’s listing, which advertised a package of Catholic ‘collectibles,’ was offered with the condescending caveat, “First of all, I am not catholic and do not believe i’m (sic) going to hell for selling this collectible.”

Archbishop Chaput responded, saying, “Whether the seller is Catholic or not is irrelevant. Catholics believe that the consecrated Communion host is literally the body and blood of Jesus Christ; it is the center of our worship life . . . this sort of sale is extraordinarily offensive.”

LifeSiteNews.com contacted eBay today, after reading “This listing [consecrated Communion Host] has been removed by eBay or is no longer available,” at the original posting’s url.

-D
 
Re: the lifenews article, I found that on the web as well. I think what we are mostly concerned with now is getting ebay to change its policy, which I can’t find any evidence that suggests they have or are even seriously considering. Only then will the host sales end.

And we need to find ways to make our dissapproval known, but also felt economically or public relations wise by ebay. I think anti Catholicism is the last prejudice that is normal or okay in society and we need to let ebay and the rest of our culture know that we will not stand by and let this happen. We do have a voice and we do have the power to protest. We have money and have social standing in our respective communities, depending on who we are. We need to use everything we have at our disposal to fight this.

Sorry, got a little caught up in the pep talk. But seriously God bless every one of you who dares to stand up to our culture of death.

In Jesus through Mary,
Laura

ps. This shouldn’t just be a post script note, but we also need to pray and organize community, parish, and across the nation prayer. We should also be thinking of ways to do that. It will also help all of us with our frustration and anger and deal with all parties involved with great charity. They will know we are Christians by our Love.

Sorry to prattle on. God bless.
 
Faithful Friends,

I got this off billcork@blogspot.com, a faithful Catholic so I am reasonably sure it is accurate:
****eBay Relents!! ****

A letter today from eBay:

We understand that the listing of the Eucharist was highly upsetting to Catholic members of the eBay community and Catholics globally. Once this completed sale was brought to our attention, we consulted with a number of our users, including members of the Catholic Church, concerning what course we should take in the future should a similar listing appear on our site. We also consulted with members of other religions about items that might also be highly sacred and inappropriate for sale. As a result of this dialogue, we have concluded that sales of the Eucharist, and similar highly sacred items, are not appropriate on eBay. We have, therefore, broadened our policies and will remove those types of listings should they appear on the site in the future.

As always, we welcome and appreciate the assistance of the community in upholding the rules of our site. Should you see another Eucharist listed on our site, we encourage you to notify us so we can take appropriate action. Further, we encourage you to directly communicate with the seller. Members are often unaware that a particular item is offensive to others. A respectful e-mail to the seller is often all that is needed for the seller to voluntarily remove the item. We believe this modification strikes the appropriate balance between respect for our community’s values and our goal of providing an open marketplace offering practically anything on earth.

Again, we sincerely appreciate your concern and thank you for communicating your views with us. Your (name removed by moderator)ut has helped us frame a policy that will enable us to better serve our diverse community of users around the world.

Bravo!!

God bless,

Glancy Evans
 
It is not eBay, I mean they cannot possobly monitor everything what listed, They have huge amount of auctions.

Ebay all of us, people, people selling wrong stuff, and ebay help it stay legal and right, they work hard for it…

So all they can do is to monitor what on sale already.

There is way to fight.

Same as copyrighted items, owners of such rights run favorite searches on ebay by names of the product, eBay will email right away, if something with keywords comes up. Then if something wrong with listing you just report it to eBay.

Some more info about amazon and ebay here:

aliksandre.blogspot.com
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top