We won’t see our loved ones again in Heaven?

• Thread starter Thread starter MeganCecilia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeganCecilia

Some people have said that we won’t recognize family in Heaven and we won’t be with them. This is the most depressing thing to me.

Is this true? I am so stressed out about this…

I’d ask these “some people” to back up their statement - what proof do they have? Honestly, Heaven is going to be perfect - and we will be worshiping singing Holy, Holy, Holy Lord God of Hosts.

Some people have said that we won’t recognize family in Heaven and we won’t be with them. This is the most depressing thing to me…

Is this true? I am so stressed out about this…
I’ve never heard this before. This sounds more like the Mormon view of Heaven, where only those that make it to the highest level are reunited with their family. Needless to say, this is not the Catholic view.

Yes, we will but we cannot comprehend it. Imagine you get to heaven and a loved one didn’t make it. That would be very upsetting to think our loved one is in hell. Heaven is perfect so we cannot comprehend it. We wouldn’t be upset in heaven.

Last edited:
No problem. I edited my post to include a link. The summary is great.

We are supposed to be perfected in Heaven not rendered dumb.
Also Jesus told us,
" I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living."
And did not Abraham recognize the rich man?
or when Samuel’s spirit appears to Saul, he had not forgotten about him;
I Samuel 28:15 Then Samuel said to Saul, “Why have you disquieted me, so that I would be raised up?” And Saul said: “I am greatly distressed. For the Philistines fight against me, and God has withdrawn from me, and he is not willing to heed me, neither by the hand of prophets, nor by dreams. Therefore, I have summoned you, so that you would reveal to me what I should do.”
28:16 And Samuel said, “Why do you question me, though the Lord has withdrawn from you, and has crossed over to your rival?
Peace!

The only way you won’t meet your loved ones in Heaven is if they aren’t there. Everyone knows everyone in Heaven. If you get to Heaven and find your loved ones are still on Earth or in Purgatory, you will pray for them ,helping them to join you one day. If you find that a loved one is in Hell, know that God will wipe away every tear from your eyes.

Some people have said
“Some people” say a lot of things. If “some people” don’t have a Catholic Catechism section to point to, then best to ignore “Some people”.

Fr. Wall, a Dominican, has written this article which is distributed at various churches and says that we will indeed recognize our loved ones in Heaven.

Based on St. Thomas Aquinas, Fr. Wall writes:
According to this understanding we should visualize our meeting with our loved ones in heaven as a moment when we will see their youthful selves with our eyes, hear their voices with our ears and reach out with our arms to embrace them and experience their embrace.
I think St. Thomas Aquinas and Fr. Wall know more about this than “Some people”.

Last edited:
I have this crazy idea that I got from the Gospel according to John that heaven is all about love and oneness. That means, among other things, that we will know, recognize, and love everyone there.

Last edited:
It’s best not to develop your faith in the generic “some people”. What do you know of God? Do you know He loves you and desires you to be happy in heaven. So why would you worry one little second about what heaven will be like and what some people say. What does the church and the Bible say? Did Jesus recognize those at the transfiguration? Do saints know each other? Do they know you? Of course!!! But I’m just some people too. What you need is to read what the Church and God Himself says.

Last edited:
We will do more than just “see” them. We will be connected to them as part of the same body.

Figuratively right? I mean we aren’t going to be sewn together!!! 😱

Literally. We are all part of one mystical body of Christ.

Last edited:
I don’t know if you should interpret that too physically. We will have our bodies after the Final Judgement. I don’t recall reading anywhere that our bodies will meld together.

Sure we are. But our actual physical bodies at the resurrection are not all together. You won’t be physically attached to Mary and St Matthew.

I am not interpreting it physically at all. It’s a mystical body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back