K
kedera
Guest
I hope this is the appropriate spot to be. It seems fitting for my problem since it concerns my family and my hopefully soon-to-be grooms family.
I came into the church in 2008, my boyfriend is currently in RCIA, and it is understood by all that we will be getting married (hopefully by the end of the year). Now here is the problem. We both come from staunchly Southern Baptist families who do not like our conversion whatsoever. My father is a deacon and in denial that I will remain Catholic, and my BF’s grandmother said, and I quote, “He’s crazy if he thinks he’s gonna be Catholic!” He has a semi-estranged relationship with his family simply because they have always treated him like a second class citizen (long sad story)
. The thought of our wedding makes my head hurt:stretcher:. I want my wedding in the Church but doing that will create serious tension and I wouldn’t be surprised if a couple of people didn’t go (I really wouldn’t miss these folks, but it would add to the tension by their refusing to go). I can’t stand the thought of being depressed at my wedding:crying:. I really don’t want to have it (with a priest there) at my old Baptist Church because they know we are Catholic and what it means to be married in the Church. It wouldn’t feel right to do that at all, and it would be awkward
. Are there other options? Is having two weddings weird? Any advice would be soooo welcomed.
I came into the church in 2008, my boyfriend is currently in RCIA, and it is understood by all that we will be getting married (hopefully by the end of the year). Now here is the problem. We both come from staunchly Southern Baptist families who do not like our conversion whatsoever. My father is a deacon and in denial that I will remain Catholic, and my BF’s grandmother said, and I quote, “He’s crazy if he thinks he’s gonna be Catholic!” He has a semi-estranged relationship with his family simply because they have always treated him like a second class citizen (long sad story)