Weddings Gowns

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sarabande
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure hope it catches on. I’ll be getting married in the next year or so, and I’m worried about trying to find something with sleeves, so if this becomes popular I hope I’ll have less of a problem! šŸ™‚
My husband and I were married almost a year ago, and while I found in looking for dresses that ā€œstraplessā€ is still very ā€œinā€ (ugh - so many women don’t even look good in strapless) there are MANY tasteful dresses. Also, many shops will add sleeves to a dress (yes, for an extra cost) or can create a shell that you can wear over your dress in the church and then remove for your reception if you wish. My dress had ā€œtankā€ style sleeves, and while I normally wear sweaters over sleeveless clothes in church, I felt extremely beautiful and not uncomfortable as my veil covered my shoulders throughout the ceremony. My mom tends to be much more conservative that I am, and even she agreed that with the veil covering my shoulders there was nothing immodest about my dress.

Good luck! Finding a dress should be fun! (it’s worth it to see the look on your man’s face when he sees you:D:thumbsup:
 
Why a purple wedding dress? Because I’m like that.:rotfl:
I knew of a bride who was married in deep emerald green. If the dress is well made, fits well, and is modest and appropriate, then I don’t see a problem at all with colored wedding gowns.

In fact - there are some deep red ball gown style wedding gowns that I thought were amazing!

~Liza
 
She looked absolutely beautiful.

Many strapless gowns could have that lace added in to make a lovely bodice.

It might cost a little bit extra, but certainly doable and certainly tasteful and modest.
 
I wasn’t following any of the royal wedding stuff, but it’s everywhere so I got a glimpse of her gown. I’m so thankful to see sleeves on a wedding gown. ACTUAL SLEEVES!

Here’s hoping it will start one heck of a trend.

Have any of you seen the show, ā€œSay Yes to the Dressā€? :eek:
 
I knew of a bride who was married in deep emerald green. If the dress is well made, fits well, and is modest and appropriate, then I don’t see a problem at all with colored wedding gowns.

In fact - there are some deep red ball gown style wedding gowns that I thought were amazing!

~Liza
And, in my opinion, white just doesn’t flatter a lot of women’s coloring. I’m a pale, pale redhead and I’d look like death on toast in nine yards of snow-white silk.
 
And, in my opinion, white just doesn’t flatter a lot of women’s coloring. I’m a pale, pale redhead and I’d look like death on toast in nine yards of snow-white silk.
Me too!

I had an ivory gown because trying to find something with color (that I could afford) wasn’t going to work out well for me.
 
Mine had lace sleeves…I loved my dress! It was the very first one I tried on.

If I get brave enough I’ll post my wedding picture
 
Here is an article discussing the impact that Princess Grace’s gown had on the design of Princess Catherine’s gown, including a full length portrait of both brides who are (were) both commoners:

dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1381989/Royal-Wedding-Kate-Middletons-wedding-dress-tribute-Grace-Kelly.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Even the bouquets are similar in scale. Just lovely! Desginwise, Kate’s dress is very different from Princess Diana’s gorgeous gown, but maintains a look of regal elegance and beauty in the same way.

I love weddings!
 
Mine had lace sleeves…I loved my dress! It was the very first one I tried on.

If I get brave enough I’ll post my wedding picture
I would love to see it! Any other brides like to post theirs? I’ll see if I can get my bravery up to post mine as well. šŸ™‚
 
Catherine looked beautiful, elegant, and dignified in her wedding dress. I certainly hope the style catches on.

I think it’s time for the topless (oops, strapless) sexpot look to go away. Please.
 
As a musician, who sees wedding gowns practically every weekend, I was just blown away by the elegance, modesty and beauty of the gown.

I’m listening/watching the ceremony now. I’m loving the music so far.
I loved the music also. John Rutter of the Cambridge Singers composed a song specifically for the wedding. (He is an English composer/conductor whose sacred music esp. Christmas music is also very popular in America.) There will be a Royal Wedding digital download - of the music at their ceremony - on May 3rd I think, on itunes, followed a couple of weeks later with a physical CD release with booklet and etc. I plan to get them both actually, partly for pictures of the dress. šŸ™‚ Also I thought they both looked happy which was great.

the gown is beautiful and very elegant and she looked comfortable in it which was great. I also really liked the sleeves.
 
I loved the music also. John Rutter of the Cambridge Singers composed a song specifically for the wedding. (He is an English composer/conductor whose sacred music esp. Christmas music is also very popular in America.) There will be a Royal Wedding digital download - of the music at their ceremony - on May 3rd I think, on itunes, followed a couple of weeks later with a physical CD release with booklet and etc. I plan to get them both actually, partly for pictures of the dress. šŸ™‚ Also I thought they both looked happy which was great.

the gown is beautiful and very elegant and she looked comfortable in it which was great. I also really liked the sleeves.
Which part of the ceremony was Rutter’s music performed? I’ve always liked Parry’s music (especially his Jerusalem, which was sung at the wedding - of course - and Dear Lord and Father of Mankind) so it was nice to see that she processed to his anthem ā€œI Was Gladā€. My husband and I were very close to having Jerusalem sung at our wedding since it’s one of my favorite hymns, but it’s not normally sung in Catholic churches here in the States. I had Holst’s ā€œO God Beyond All Praisingā€ instead as an instrumental procession.
 
I am SO ready to see the strapless trend go away! The new Princess’ gown was beautiful and elegant. The same for Ivanka Trump’s wedding dress. And both had SLEEVES! :clapping: Let us hope for a new day in bridal fashions. My own dress had elbow-length lace sleeves. Wedding was in April and it snowed that day (ah, Michigan…). I nearly froze during the ceremony and put on a heavy gray sweater over my dress on the way to the reception. Not quite an elegant look, but oh wellā€¦šŸ˜›
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top