Weekly Donations

  • Thread starter Thread starter JimTobin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JimTobin

Guest
In a flyer published by our Bishop, he declares that ‘not contributing’ to the Church is a MORTAL SIN. That is new to me. I have never heard of this before.
 
Last edited:
I doubt it is a mortal sin, but I’m not a Bishop. We are called to support our parish, diocese and the Church with our time, talent, and treasures, however we can decide what that means to us.
 
Is that exactly what he said?

I would think he would at least qualify that with some statements about people who are in difficult situations. For example, if you are an elderly person on a fixed income and serious health problems, you may only be able to “contribute” your prayers.

There are also plenty of people who do not have money and can only give of their time and talent.
 
Last edited:
We are asked to give some of our time, talent, and treasures.

 
Last edited:
It is a grave sin to break one of the Precepts of the Church, could be mortal if done with intent and knowledge.
 
“Tithe” means giving 10% of your income to the Church, per the Old Testament, specifically Malachi 3:10.

This is a very worthy goal, something that many of us converts knew from childhood. As little kids, if we received a dollar in a birthday card we gave 10 cents in the offering on Sunday.
 
he declares that ‘not contributing’ to the Church is a MORTAL SIN.
For 22 years, until 1996, I attended a very demanding, cultish church which preached pretty much the same thing. Every month the member newsletter was filled with capital letters, huge fonts, and angry demands for money to support God’s one and only true church. We can’t outgive God, we were told, but we were sure expected to give it our best shot. If I were ever to hear anything like this again it would be the last time I set foot in that particular building.
 
Last edited:
From the Code of Canon Law:
Can. 222 §1 Christ’s faithful have the obligation to provide for the needs of the Church, so that the Church has available to it those things which are necessary for divine worship, for apostolic and charitable work and for the worthy support of its ministers. (source)
From The Catechism of the Catholic, Paragraph 2043:
The faithful also have the duty of providing for the material needs of the Church, each according to his abilities. (source)
 
Last edited:
The precept actually reads, “You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church.”

This is very broad and usually interpreted as us being asked to give of our time, talent and treasure. If someone is not able to give money (treasure) then they should be giving the other two if they’re able to do so. It also doesn’t specify how much money; we aren’t required to tithe, for example, and could give 5 percent or 1 percent.

I have never seen this interpreted as “put money in the collection or you’re committing a mortal sin.”
I think there must be some background or context to the Bishop’s statement that hasn’t been provided by the OP here.

Edited to add, I think the recommendations for tithing and pleas for money are kind of frowned upon in the Catholic church in ways that they aren’t in the Protestant and other non-Catholic churches (such as LDS).
Starting in the 1960s for a few decades, there was a big de-emphasis on money and materialism, because many of the younger people found it objectionable that the Church was visibly “rich” or that the pastor was living an allegedly fancy lifestyle while others in society were poor.

The Catholic church is also the church that welcomes poor people. You can’t very well do that if you’re requiring tithing or exhorting donations every week and claiming that somebody just isn’t a good Catholic if they aren’t throwing money in the basket. And from a practical standpoint, if you’re going to encourage your parishioners to be having six kids, they usually aren’t going to have much spare cash to throw in there unless they’re particularly lucky and blessed financially.

Many people are also really sensitive to the history of selling indulgences and the Church tries hard to avoid giving the impression that they are money grubbing today. They certainly don’t want to be seen as emulating the televangelists who are crying for money all the time and getting Grandma to send her last dime so the televangelist can wear custom made suits and ride around in a luxury car.

The recent abuse scandals and payouts also have discouraged some people from giving and it’s pretty hard for the Church to order people to contribute when they’re holding back money out of anger or not wanting their money to fund legal settlements. It doesn’t contribute to the healing process for the Church to be compelling people to donate money.
 
Last edited:
For 22 years, until 1996, I attended a very demanding, cultish church which preached pretty much the same thing. Every month the member newsletter was filled with capital letters, huge fonts, and angry demands for money to support God’s one and only true church. We can’t outgive God, we were told, but we were sure expected to give it our best shot. If I were ever to hear anything like this again it would be the last time I set foot in that particular building.
I have never in my lifetime of attending several dozen Catholic churches in the US seen or heard anything like this coming from a Catholic church, shrine, pastor, priest, bishop, or order.
 
Last edited:
I donate my time and talent. I cannot personally donate money to general funds because of moral convictions. That being said, I feel I can morally support some individual and specific things. Can I buy pizza for the youth group? Yep.
 
I think these days some of us are concerned about where the money’s going
 
If we get to the point where we have no hosts. No wine, no building, then I’ll gladly purchase the things that we need to practice our faith. There are thriving parishes and thriving faith in places where people will die today because of poverty. Blindly donating money that I have no control over and then finding out that money was used to abuse kids, protect and defend abusers, andhra the money itself is abused is not something I can do. I’ve seen too much behind the curtain. But, I do support not only individual causes and people but I also encourage a financial openness that is lacking. That would go a long way to helping me fulfill the obligation this bishop was addressing.
 
Yeah, luckily the Church doesnt have an IRS that will come after me.
 
This is very broad and usually interpreted as us being asked to give of our time, talent and treasure. If someone is not able to give money (treasure) then they should be giving the other two if they’re able to do so. It also doesn’t specify how much money; we aren’t required to tithe, for example, and could give 5 percent or 1 percent.
Exactly. The OP said the Bishop used the world “contribute”. Contributions may be money or time/talents. These days, out parish and school simply cannot get volunteers for many things, so, we have to hire people to do it.
 
In a flyer published by our Bishop, he declares that ‘not contributing’ to the Church is a MORTAL SIN. That is new to me. I have never heard of this before
It is one of the precepts of the Church. Not sure why this is new information.

Not sure why you titled your thread “weekly donations” since of course that isn’t a requirement in and of itself.
 
Well context is important. We don’t know what the bishop actually said, what the context was, etc.
 
Right, it sure would be nice when people talk about a statement or in this case a flyer published by a bishop they would post what was actually said and the context.
 
Last edited:
Right, it sure would be nice when people talk about a statement or in this case a flyer published by a bishop they would post what was actually said and the context.
Indeed. Rather than give the benefit of the doubt to a successor of the Apostles, many want to attack him.

it Is a precept of the Church to support it, and for most that means with money.

Those who cannot afford ANY financial support of the Church need to help in other ways, full stop.

How do you think the lights and A/C keep functioning? Those who work for the Church deserve remuneration.

The Church rarely talks about money, and yet whenever it does the excuses and whining come forth with gusto.

I’d love to see the pamphlet, as it likely being misrepresented or misunderstood, or both.

Deacon Christopher
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top