J
JimTobin
Guest
In a flyer published by our Bishop, he declares that ‘not contributing’ to the Church is a MORTAL SIN. That is new to me. I have never heard of this before.
Last edited:
For 22 years, until 1996, I attended a very demanding, cultish church which preached pretty much the same thing. Every month the member newsletter was filled with capital letters, huge fonts, and angry demands for money to support God’s one and only true church. We can’t outgive God, we were told, but we were sure expected to give it our best shot. If I were ever to hear anything like this again it would be the last time I set foot in that particular building.he declares that ‘not contributing’ to the Church is a MORTAL SIN.
From The Catechism of the Catholic, Paragraph 2043:Can. 222 §1 Christ’s faithful have the obligation to provide for the needs of the Church, so that the Church has available to it those things which are necessary for divine worship, for apostolic and charitable work and for the worthy support of its ministers. (source)
The faithful also have the duty of providing for the material needs of the Church, each according to his abilities. (source)
I have never in my lifetime of attending several dozen Catholic churches in the US seen or heard anything like this coming from a Catholic church, shrine, pastor, priest, bishop, or order.For 22 years, until 1996, I attended a very demanding, cultish church which preached pretty much the same thing. Every month the member newsletter was filled with capital letters, huge fonts, and angry demands for money to support God’s one and only true church. We can’t outgive God, we were told, but we were sure expected to give it our best shot. If I were ever to hear anything like this again it would be the last time I set foot in that particular building.
Exactly. The OP said the Bishop used the world “contribute”. Contributions may be money or time/talents. These days, out parish and school simply cannot get volunteers for many things, so, we have to hire people to do it.This is very broad and usually interpreted as us being asked to give of our time, talent and treasure. If someone is not able to give money (treasure) then they should be giving the other two if they’re able to do so. It also doesn’t specify how much money; we aren’t required to tithe, for example, and could give 5 percent or 1 percent.
It is one of the precepts of the Church. Not sure why this is new information.In a flyer published by our Bishop, he declares that ‘not contributing’ to the Church is a MORTAL SIN. That is new to me. I have never heard of this before
Nor have I, and they’ll never know what a huge plus this is for them from my perspective.seen or heard anything like this coming from a Catholic church,
Indeed. Rather than give the benefit of the doubt to a successor of the Apostles, many want to attack him.Right, it sure would be nice when people talk about a statement or in this case a flyer published by a bishop they would post what was actually said and the context.