Weird Birth Control Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter mandajane
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why ask here and not a licensed physician? Your OBGyn went to school for 8 years, passed multiple boards, went through a residency program to train under other doctors, and then was finally able to practice medicine. The question whether or not you should be on birth control (for whatever reason) is up to you and your doctor.
 
Why ask here and not a licensed physician? Your OBGyn went to school for 8 years, passed multiple boards, went through a residency program to train under other doctors, and then was finally able to practice medicine. The question whether or not you should be on birth control (for whatever reason) is up to you and your doctor.
The OP was asking for a moral perspective. But also, don’t you ever do preliminary research on the internet before talking with a doctor? I google stuff compulsively.
 
Why ask here and not a licensed physician? Your OBGyn went to school for 8 years, passed multiple boards, went through a residency program to train under other doctors, and then was finally able to practice medicine. The question whether or not you should be on birth control (for whatever reason) is up to you and your doctor.
Well the last time I went to a GYN with a question, he wanted to put me on birth control pills. :mad: He thought I was a nut because I used NFP and told me he couldn’t help me unless I was willing to take the pills.:rolleyes:

I now see an NFP only GYN. 👍 Now my condition is actually being treated.
 
The OP was asking for a moral perspective. But also, don’t you ever do preliminary research on the internet before talking with a doctor? I google stuff compulsively.
Normally I just ask my doctor regarding medical questions. I guess my medical adviser is a little more accessible than most (my wife 😉 ).

I have a large issue regarding medical/scientific questions posed to third parties, regardless or their moral standing.

If we expect a doctor to save a child with an illness/defect after birth using the best medical knowledge and technology instead of letting the natural to occur (i.e. death typically) then why shun science in the beginning stages of planning our family and chalk it up to a moral issue not clearly defined in Scripture? (probably a discussion for another thread I’m sure)
 
Why ask here and not a licensed physician? Your OBGyn went to school for 8 years, passed multiple boards, went through a residency program to train under other doctors, and then was finally able to practice medicine. The question whether or not you should be on birth control (for whatever reason) is up to you and your doctor.
Actually most obgyns are extremely ignorant to the basics of the female cycle. They don’t know when a woman ovulates, how to date pregnancy accurately, or even that there are basic observations that can alert to conditions.
 
Normally I just ask my doctor regarding medical questions. I guess my medical adviser is a little more accessible than most (my wife 😉 ).

I have a large issue regarding medical/scientific questions posed to third parties, regardless or their moral standing.

If we expect a doctor to save a child with an illness/defect after birth using the best medical knowledge and technology instead of letting the natural to occur (i.e. death typically) then why shun science in the beginning stages of planning our family and chalk it up to a moral issue not clearly defined in Scripture? (probably a discussion for another thread I’m sure)
For Catholics our understanding of what’s morally right with regards to contraception isn’t limited to scripture. The reason many Catholics end up being leery of their OB’s medical advice with regards to contraception is that so many OBs push it like it’s the greatest thing on earth.

My old OB pushed the pill and would ask when my husband was out of the room if I’d like my tubes tied.

My previous OB from my current one said I HAD to take the pill because he though the bleeding I had was psycho somatic and the pill would absolutely stop it. A second opinion with an NFP OB proved that I needed immediate surgery and was lucky to be alive. I’m actually very thankful that online friends pushed me to go in for a second and third opinion, because I wasn’t going to on my own.

So… some of us are a bit anxious about asking our OBs for answers on moral questions, because we now that the answers will more likely than not, not be in line with our belief structure. They are experts on the science of our bodies, but most aren’t on the theology that goes along with them. That’s why it’s awesome to have a place to come and discuss to morality of it.
 
Actually most obgyns are extremely ignorant to the basics of the female cycle. They don’t know when a woman ovulates, how to date pregnancy accurately, or even that there are basic observations that can alert to conditions.
Using this reasoning, I suppose I shouldn’t ask my orthopedic surgeon about my torn ligaments either because he’s probably ignorant to the actual muscle structure of my body.

Painting with such a broad brush isn’t the best approach here.
 
Actually most obgyns are extremely ignorant to the basics of the female cycle. They don’t know when a woman ovulates, how to date pregnancy accurately, or even that there are basic observations that can alert to conditions.
THIS. I’ve been to many OB/GYNs who had no idea how to treat things related to my cycle. Their solution was to just prescribe birth control pills. When I mentioned that I might be interested in getting pregnant, the solution was just to “tough it out” because nothing else could be done. Just because someone goes to school and earns a degree in that field of study does not mean that they are an expert. Someone has to graduate from mediocre schools, and far from the top of their class. Not all doctors are equal in terms of their medical knowledge or their willingness to dig deep into the source of a problem.
 
THIS. I’ve been to many OB/GYNs who had no idea how to treat things related to my cycle. Their solution was to just prescribe birth control pills. When I mentioned that I might be interested in getting pregnant, the solution was just to “tough it out” because nothing else could be done. Just because someone goes to school and earns a degree in that field of study does not mean that they are an expert. Someone has to graduate from mediocre schools, and far from the top of their class. Not all doctors are equal in terms of their medical knowledge or their willingness to dig deep into the source of a problem.
The same goes with engineers who go on to design and monitor the construction of vehicles you use on a regular basis. They probably were average students at mediocre schools also. Yet, you trust that their end product is safe enough for you and your family to travel over 60 MPH in on a daily basis. No planes, trains, and automobiles for you either I guess?
 
Actually most obgyns are extremely ignorant to the basics of the female cycle. They don’t know when a woman ovulates, how to date pregnancy accurately, or even that there are basic observations that can alert to conditions.
yes. my issue is, I (at the moment) live in a very small town. I’m about to move and find a new OB in the city, but atm, i have the one OB in town who takes my insurance, and he treats pregnancy as a disease that must be prevented, not a blessing to be encouraged. He constantly tries to push BC on me, to the point he even yelled at me at my last appointment, because I refused all types of birth control.

I just asked about the morality here, because I had just gotten off the phone with my mother, and couldn’t find a clear answer to the morality aspect on Google. I hadn’t spoken to my priest yet, I just figured since I already had my computer open, I’d pose the question to the boards.
 
The same goes with engineers who go on to design and monitor the construction of vehicles you use on a regular basis. They probably were average students at mediocre schools also. Yet, you trust that their end product is safe enough for you and your family to travel over 60 MPH in on a daily basis. No planes, trains, and automobiles for you either I guess?
Those products are put through rigorous testing, throughout the process, and are mostly constructed by machines, so that I know my car is going to be identical to the ones that got high ratings in safety features.

This is not the same thing as having to fight against an OB/GYN who has a different set of moral values than you do, and I do not appreciate people attempting to belittle women on these boards who have trouble with OBs in this regard.
 
yes. my issue is, I (at the moment) live in a very small town. I’m about to move and find a new OB in the city, but atm, i have the one OB in town who takes my insurance, and he treats pregnancy as a disease that must be prevented, not a blessing to be encouraged. He constantly tries to push BC on me, to the point he even yelled at me at my last appointment, because I refused all types of birth control.

I just asked about the morality here, because I had just gotten off the phone with my mother, and couldn’t find a clear answer to the morality aspect on Google. I hadn’t spoken to my priest yet, I just figured since I already had my computer open, I’d pose the question to the boards.
Sorry for semi-hijacking your thread. I’m not the best person to answer the morality question and I didn’t offer you any profitable advice.

In my non-Catholic, scientific opinion, birth control is an effective means for regulating/controlling your menstrual cycle as cited in countless medical journals and studies. Not understanding the Catholic position, I cannot comment on the morality issue however. Good luck with your wedding and God bless.🙂
 
Those products are put through rigorous testing, throughout the process, and are mostly constructed by machines, so that I know my car is going to be identical to the ones that got high ratings in safety features.

This is not the same thing as having to fight against an OB/GYN who has a different set of moral values than you do, and I do not appreciate people attempting to belittle women on these boards who have trouble with OBs in this regard.
And the pill is put through rigorous tests and approved to be sold in this country. Those machines you speak of are programmed by someone, and are subject to failure.

I’m not belittling anyone, only questioning the logic presented to the OP. From a morality standpoint, we can question every product we use (from the iPhone, to your car, or even the jewelry we wear) due to how they were produced. I have yet to find a definitive scriptural answer regarding the morality of a pill.
 
The Catholic Church is clear on its position regarding the pill in its use to prevent pregnancy. You mentioned that you are not catholic, so I have to ask, are you in RCIA? If not, why are you here?
 
The same goes with engineers who go on to design and monitor the construction of vehicles you use on a regular basis. They probably were average students at mediocre schools also. Yet, you trust that their end product is safe enough for you and your family to travel over 60 MPH in on a daily basis. No planes, trains, and automobiles for you either I guess?
My point was that it is good to do some of your own legwork on certain issues. Moral problems aside, there are serious, well-documented risks to taking the birth control pill which many doctors brush aside. Add to that, many doctors are simply unaware of the moral problems with the pill. They will ignore these because they see the pill as some wonder drug that solves every reproductive issue, rather than digging into the source of the problem.
 
And the pill is put through rigorous tests and approved to be sold in this country. Those machines you speak of are programmed by someone, and are subject to failure.

I’m not belittling anyone, only questioning the logic presented to the OP. From a morality standpoint, we can question every product we use (from the iPhone, to your car, or even the jewelry we wear) due to how they were produced. I have yet to find a definitive scriptural answer regarding the morality of a pill.
Actually it isn’t. The pill is killing people. It is a group 1 carcinogen. Everyone is drinking the proverbial kool-aid that it is some kind of miracle drug when it causes cancer, can be abortive, and that it actually WORKS. (Which is doesn’t by the way).

It is NOT a medicine. It shuts down a working (or struggling to work) reproductive system in the body. This should be blaring trumpets that this works the OPPOSITE of helping.

Who in their right mind would amputate a perfectly healthy foot? No one. Neither should someone be doing anything that shuts down a working system of the body.
 
Actually it isn’t. The pill is killing people. It is a group 1 carcinogen. Everyone is drinking the proverbial kool-aid that it is some kind of miracle drug when it causes cancer, can be abortive, and that it actually WORKS. (Which is doesn’t by the way).

It is NOT a medicine. It shuts down a working (or struggling to work) reproductive system in the body. This should be blaring trumpets that this works the OPPOSITE of helping.

Who in their right mind would amputate a perfectly healthy foot? No one. Neither should someone be doing anything that shuts down a working system of the body.
Funny - the WHO research (circa 2005) you are referring to states that the pills tested were abnormally higher doses than typically prescribed and that the pill actually protects against ovarian cancer.

You probably believe vaccines cause autism too, don’t you?
 
Funny - the WHO research (circa 2005) you are referring to states that the pills tested were abnormally higher doses than typically prescribed and that the pill actually protects against ovarian cancer.

You probably believe vaccines cause autism too, don’t you?
Do you come over to visit people and insult them in the living room often? This is a Catholic board. I am sure your mamma raised you to have some manners.
 
Do you come over to visit people and insult them in the living room often? This is a Catholic board. I am sure your mamma raised you to have some manners.
No, but I do suggest they use reason and valid information when trying to offer someone advice.
 
Funny - the WHO research (circa 2005) you are referring to states that the pills tested were abnormally higher doses than typically prescribed and that the pill actually protects against ovarian cancer.

You probably believe vaccines cause autism too, don’t you?
That was insulting, and rotten to say.

The pill CAUSES breast cancer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top