A
aj830
Guest
So I was previewing my Western Civilization Course and looking through the book a bit that was being used. One of the statements disturbed me. It stated-
The book just seemed real iffy in some of it’s obvious bias later to. The book is called Western Civilization by Jackson J Spielvogel. A major in Reformation History nonetheless. It is a class at a public school so I guess I shouldn’t expect a whole lot of accuracy when it comes to Church History. Any thoughts?
Now it may just be me but I was under the impression that the early Christians did not have a Bible to begin with and Tertullian is speaking about the Gospel, the message of Jesus passed down, and not the Gospels,MMLJ, that were written but not yet affirmed as part of the canon. The whole statement in the end is a little iffy. Even if we take the writer in reffering to “early Christians” as 100 years after Tertullian’s death we still don’t even have a formal declaration on the canon of Scripture. Didn’t this come about at the Council of Carthage in 357(date?)?Many early Christians espressed considerable hostility to the pagan culture of the classical world. Tertullian (c.160-c.225), a Christian writer from Carthage had proclaimed: “What has Jerusalem to do with Athens, the Church with the Academy, the Christian with the heretic?..After Jesus Christ we have no need of speculation, after the Gospel no need of research.” To many early Christians, the Bible contained all the knowledge anyone needed.
The book just seemed real iffy in some of it’s obvious bias later to. The book is called Western Civilization by Jackson J Spielvogel. A major in Reformation History nonetheless. It is a class at a public school so I guess I shouldn’t expect a whole lot of accuracy when it comes to Church History. Any thoughts?