What are you giving up for Lent?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nova147
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sacrifice:
My morning tea
Facebook
Wine with dinner (as I finish my last glass)
Going out to eat, except for Sunday breakfast

Prayer:
Learning how to pray the Divine Office
Saying (at the very least) Evening Prayer every night

Almsgiving:
Better at saving my left over change for the crisis pregnancy center
Giving of my time at a non-profit Catholic apostolate

~Liza
 
Hi everyone

Just want to include what I’ll be devoting for Lent.
I’ll be giving up meats. Essentially I’ll treat every day as a Lenten Friday.
 
I’m giving up my diet pop - a true addiction for me. The money I save from it will be donated to a charity.
Oh, I did this last year! It’s tough the first few days, but trust me, you’ll feel better! During Lent, I didn’t drink any soda at all. After Lent, I decided to never purchase it for home. Now, it’s just a treat when out to eat (which is pretty rare) or at a party. I’m saving a bit of money, too!

I’m thinking about coffee this year, it will be REALLY tough though!
 
I’m giving up boys for Lent. The time I save from it will be donated to charity.

The scary part is that I LOVE humor. That’s why I like boys so much - nothing makes me laugh harder.

Enough whining! Lent starts in a couple of hours!
 
I am giving up donuts and TV and adding a daily rosary. I have been trying to pray the rosary daily but need to make it a priority.

Sincerely,

Maria1212
 
Giving up buying stuff I don’t need, adding on reading the Gospel each day and spending more time in Adoration.
 
Junk food. I’m also going to pray the rosary every day, which with my busy schedule means giving up a little sleep on a regular basis.
 
Cigars.

I think I will give up profanity too, or at least try. It is a habit that I have slipped into at work from time to time. Maybe I need a swear jar while I work on it. That’ll help the ol’ Rice Bowl.
 
I am giving up smoking for Lent (hopefully that sticks even after Lent)
 
**I asked this same question on Facebook … what are you giving up for Lent?

One of my friends answered me and shortly afterward a mutual friend wrote:
“You’re supposed to keep your sacrifices to yourself and not let it be known—don’t tell!”

I googled my question and found many blogs with people sharing their ideas. I thought this is how we learn … from each other.

Another friend wrote:
“I didn’t know you weren’t supposed to tell what your giving up for lent? I went to a Catholic school for a few years and the teachers often asked us during the lent season what we were giving up…whether you shared or not was your personal choice.
i think i may give up about five or ten pounds. not sure yet (: i know that during lent i always feel especially bonded to Christ through the small sacrifices i do make…and that is something worth sharing!”

What is wrong with sharing ideas? I didn’t mean for anyone to brag or bring pride into their sacrifices but to share and learn from each other.

What is the rule on this?**
 
I asked this same question on Facebook … what are you giving up for Lent?

One of my friends answered me and shortly afterward a mutual friend wrote:
"You’re supposed to keep your sacrifices to yourself and not let it be known—don’t tell!"

I googled my question and found many blogs with people sharing their ideas. I thought this is how we learn … from each other.

Another friend wrote:
"I didn’t know you weren’t supposed to tell what your giving up for lent? I went to a Catholic school for a few years and the teachers often asked us during the lent season what we were giving up…whether you shared or not was your personal choice.
i think i may give up about five or ten pounds. not sure yet (: i know that during lent i always feel especially bonded to Christ through the small sacrifices i do make…and that is something worth sharing!"

What is wrong with sharing ideas? I didn’t mean for anyone to brag or bring pride into their sacrifices but to share and learn from each other.

What is the rule on this?
I believe that practice comes from this bit of Scripture - I have heard people say that before as well:

Matthew 6:5-15 (New American Standard Bible)

5"When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to (A)stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners (**(“http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew 6:5-15&version=NASB#cen-NASB-23288B”))so that they may be seen by men (C)Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6"But you, when you pray, (D)go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and (E)your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

~Liza
 
If some of us didn’t write our penances, we would never keep them. 😉
 
I believe that practice comes from this bit of Scripture - I have heard people say that before as well:

Matthew 6:5-15 (New American Standard Bible)

5"When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to (A)stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners (**(“http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew 6:5-15&version=NASB#cen-NASB-23288B”))so that they may be seen by men (C)Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6"But you, when you pray, (D)go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and (E)your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

~Liza
I think it is okay to share with others what one is planning for Lent. It helps for that person to keep their promise for 40 days. However, at the end of the 40 days if that person boastfully tells everyone what they did … that is when they are going against this bible verse. I need help and support to get through these 40 days. 🙂
 
Thanks for sharing! I decided to give up chocolate, which I’ve never done before because I love it so much. 😃

My interpretation of sharing your sacrifice – it’s about what’s in your heart. Are you sharing because you are proud of yourself? Because you want sympathy or praise? Those things go against the Scripture. But sharing in order to be accountable or help others brainstorm ideas – that’s another thing all together.
 
I used to give up sodas for lent. BUT I’'ve managed to kick my addiction to then and rarely drink sodas anymore.

So this year, I am giving up the worse habit that I have and that is watching TV. I;ve already cheated a few seconds and saw some scenes from teh Olympics since the wife has it one in the living room. BUT I have not sat down and watched any shows since Wednesday (oh it’s only Thursday now, or just past it by a couple of minutes 🙂

I think this will be the most difficult lent in my life because I am a real couch potato, and I can’t see how on earth I can last through all of lent and not watch any TV… I love to watch “24” and “Heroes” and just about anything and EVERYTHING.

I may actually get some house work done or maybe spend some time learning to play an instrument. Oh well, man does not live by TV alone or does he ???
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top