What are your thoughts on suicide?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bird_lover
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know. Too depressing to think about it for very long.
It is kind of like cancer, though, and other difficult subjects. Maybe since it involves decision making and emotions, it is more like divorce or using drugs or alcohol to self-medicate difficult emotions. In any event, not thinking about it or talking about it doesn’t help anyone understand it or avoid it. People really need to know that if they ever consider suicide, it is time to find some help.
Try going to YouTube, type in “Euthanasia Assisted Suicide”, and a bunch of videos will pop up of people committing suicide probably in the most peaceful way possible.

You’ll watch someone electively die right before your eyes.

It’s still awful.

Seriously.

I’ve seen some of those videos, and it’s like - when people commit suicide - it’s like something is missing.

I have no idea why I think it, but it seems like we’re not supposed to just stop… even if we’re struggling…

Maybe I just think that because we believe God is in control, and our lives are not our own…

but… really… watching those videos put the whole idea of suicide in a completely different light for me…
This kind of thing will inevitably put end-of-life care and the value of the lives of people who are suffering in a different light, as well. Where there is assisted suicide, can euthanasia and a “duty to commit suicide” be far behind? Those are very willing suicides; I don’t know if “peaceful” is exactly the word I would use. It is still people giving up on the value that the life they have remaining. That’s peace? It sounds more like despair, welcomed with serenity.
 
I don’t know if anyone will go to hell for suicide I hope they don’t because they where obviously very sad and unhappy to do that and it wouldn’t be very nice if they had to go to hell, maybe purgatory? I think suicide goes against the 6th commandment so I think its a mortal sin but whether or not they go to hell is up do God (I hope they don’t)
 
My thought on it last night (and, yes, I do think about it a lot) is… again, what about the family?

Suppose a guy was on his deathbed suffering, but still a ways from actually being dead… furthermore, suppose he was lucid, so he could make decisions…

Then suppose a family member had a problem they needed help with…

This is a very specific hypothetical situation, but still… it’s like, we’re supposed to be there for other people…

The strange thing is… if you look at it in reverse… modern medicine actually keeps us alive longer than if we were just like living in the wild…

Suppose you were a mountain man… living alone in the mountains… you have an accident and are incapacitated, and you cannot move… modern medicine could easily save you, but you have no coverage where you are, so you die… that’s actually kind of what happens to many wild animals if they get hurt… so - from this standpoint - it’s like medicine plays a strange role in prolonging life artificially…

That said, I’d probably want all the help I could get…
 
Agree, and I think the CCC makes that clear.
I didnt mean to call you out… but I wanted to amplify what you said for the sake of any family survivors that might be browsing…

To say, as the OP titles it, “What are your thoughts on suicide?” Invites potentially callous opinions in on the matter… but, again, if there are any family survivors here, they deserve all the love and support they can get…
 
I have a family member that committed suicide, and I made sure to write his name in The Book of the Dead for November, and I pray for the Repose of his soul, which is what I think we should do when anyone dies.
I used to have a hard time with purgatory after having left the church and following reformed theology.
It was actually the realization of “praying for the dead” that led me to think about all the suicides I had worked and seen, and all the souls that met their end as such.

I know some were mentally ill, some were drug addled…so it came as almost a relief to know that perhaps that permanent decision to a temporary problem may have well landed that soul in purgatory.

Sounds corny may be, but it helped me better understand why we pray for the dead. For their sin they committed.
Because who are we to know that God may have allowed them to suffer purification instead of going straight to hell?
 
Last edited:
My thought on it last night (and, yes, I do think about it a lot) is… again, what about the family?

Suppose a guy was on his deathbed suffering, but still a ways from actually being dead… furthermore, suppose he was lucid, so he could make decisions…

Then suppose a family member had a problem they needed help with…

This is a very specific hypothetical situation, but still… it’s like, we’re supposed to be there for other people…

The strange thing is… if you look at it in reverse… modern medicine actually keeps us alive longer than if we were just like living in the wild…

Suppose you were a mountain man… living alone in the mountains… you have an accident and are incapacitated, and you cannot move… modern medicine could easily save you, but you have no coverage where you are, so you die… that’s actually kind of what happens to many wild animals if they get hurt… so - from this standpoint - it’s like medicine plays a strange role in prolonging life artificially…

That said, I’d probably want all the help I could get…
Allowing nature to take its course and allowing natural death to come is substantially different than seeking death actively, to say the least.

We don’t know what happens when someone takes their own life. These discussions are really only for us as we (a) cope with someone who has apparently made that choice and (b) for us in case we are ever in a situation where we would make that choice for ourselves. We can’t sit here and decide who is culpable and who is not in some absolute sense, but only the kinds of things that make the choice gravely wrong and the kind of things that could conceivably mitigate culpability.
 
Last edited:
Well, not me. I fear Hell, but I read enough comments to enough Catholic articles online (especially on some of the more conservative Catholic sites, ex. OnePeterFive) and I see individuals complaining that Hell is not mentioned in homilies nor taught in schools anymore.
 
I’m sorry if I caused anyone pain who suffered the loss of family or friends to suicide.

I’m aware in this day and age that we think differently about suicide because it is often an action resulting from mental illness.

I sometimes think the only reason someone I love avoids suicide when he’s in a bad state of mind is because he fears hell. I’m afraid to remind him that hell might not be where his soul would go, because that reminder might open the door wider to the possibility of him committing suicide. If he fears hell, he fears the action of “killing” himself. It’s a tough place to be. If we don’t talk about it, he could give into despair anyway, but if we talk about it, he might not think giving into despair is such a bad thing.
 
What difference does it make? The only thing we as Catholics should do is to help those in need. If someone is in despair, help them or find them help. Learn the signs of depression and learn to recognize when they need help. All this discussion about whether suicide is a mortal sin or not doesn’t help! Only God judges. Please, all of you, pray for those with depression!
 
I agree with you that they may be cases where people are not thinking rationally when committing suicide, however there are other examples that show people took the “easy” choice.

For example, J. Clifford Baxter, who after the demise of Enron, committed suicide, and many others who instead of having to go to jail for many years decide to suicide. I think this has less to do with their eternal destination and more with avoiding having to face the consequences of their decision.

In fact, if you truly believe in Hell’s existance and God’s judgment things might not end up as you think they might, after you suicide.
 
Last edited:
I agree with you that they may be cases where people are not thinking rationally when committing suicide, however there are other examples that show people took the “easy” choice.

For example, J. Clifford Baxter, who after the demise of Enron, committed suicide, and many others who instead of having to go to jail for many years decide to suicide. I think this has less to do with their eternal destination and more with avoiding having to face the consequences of their decision.

In fact, if you truly believe in Hell’s existance and God’s judgment things might not end up as you think they might, after you suicide.
All very true.

If you’ve looked down that great abyss and thought that choosing to deliberately go through death was a reasonable idea, you know you are in a truly terrifying place. Maybe you’re terrified of something that ought to be of no account–loss of status or loss of a comfortable life–but this isn’t a thought that easily crosses the mind of someone where “easy” describes what they perceive their choices to be.

Of course, that is so often the way it is with sin. We allow ourselves to be seduced away from what we know to be true and talk ourselves into thinking we are trapped into a gravely wrong choice or that the rules don’t apply to our situation. I’m not saying that someone might not make this choice in a way that is sinful. I think we all know, though, that what goes on in the brain of somebody who could commit such a crime with themselves as the victim is in a state that is hard for a healthy mind to even imagine. Of course that state could mitigate their culpability. It is not certain, but it is reasonably possible.

I would just say that if anyone here is contemplating that choice or knows someone who is, it is extremely important that the potential suicide victim NOT be left to contemplate that choice alone.
 
Last edited:
I agree with you that they may be cases where people are not thinking rationally when committing suicide, however there are other examples that show people took the “easy” choice
I used to have a friend who told me about how when she was a teenager, she was such a hard core drama queen that she purposefully overdosed on narcotics just to get her family to feel bad for doing something she didn’t like. Thankfully she, as she put it, “chickened out” and told her mom and went to the ER and got her stomach pumped and everything, but it just shows that someone might commit suicide for any number of reasons. Maybe they’re depressed, maybe they’re taking the easy way out, maybe they’re just dramatic. We don’t know, but we do know that anyone who thinks that suicide is the best choice needs prayer for some reason or another.
 
I’ve been in the same situation as others who have had thoughts of suicide being my only option to stop the pain i was in at the time,but with the help and prayers of friends family and medication for depression etc. I have been pulled back more than once from the edge of death. I do think that it is a sin but not a moral one because people who commit suicide aren’t responsible and in their right mind to make the proper decisions to get help. To anyone who is thinking of suicide as a option please don’t that is something that you can’t come back from once the decision is made. Please talk with someone who can help you there are people who care about you not only the church militant but family members and friends who love and care about you. Please just reach out for help.
 
Last edited:
Many of us know, or have a suicide in our families. I do.
It is always a grave offense against God to take one’s life, but we know that there may be factors that more or less reduce the gravity of the sin, such as depression or mental illness. God is a good God and judges the heart rightly.
On the other hand, there are those who commit suicide for well thought out reasons that cannot be anything but grave – mortal – in error. In the 6th circle of hell, Dante portrays a man, a high level politician, whose reputation at court was ruined through gossip and who chose to commit suicide because he couldn’t hack the embarrassment.
 
It is not right…but we have no right to judge…from my own personal experience with someone who knows what it feels like to live with mental illness ( severe anxiety) in my case…

We just pray for them.
 
I’m sorry if I caused anyone pain who suffered the loss of family or friends to suicide.
…
I’m aware in this day and age that we think differently about suicide because it is often an action resulting from mental illness.
I don’t think you caused any harm… again, I just wanted to magnify the intention of mercy towards families… 🙂
 
there … may be cases where people are not thinking rationally when committing suicide, but there are examples that show people took the “easy” choice.
Robin Williams comes to mind as someone who probably wasn’t thinking rationally when he killed himself. But Robin Williams brought joy to people, and I don’t think anyone would want him go to hell.

As for people who take “the easy way out” - you make a good point, even if the person is still alive and only threatening suicide or murder.

In cases where we have separation of church and state, we have to remember there is a legal (not just a religious) side to socially judging suicidal actions. The Vatican obviously doesn’t have separation of church and state, and many of its laws were formed before the notion of church and state even came into existence. But what we could do is use cases of contemporary governments with separation of church and state to retrospectively see why the older laws the Vatican adheres to (at least politically, not religiously) may have been harsher on suicide.

That said, it is as if some people try to hold themselves hostage. They may or may not mean the threat, but it can play havoc with the emotions and well-being of the people around them.

But doesn’t work. An example might be the soldiers in the Sommes. If a soldier turned back, they could be shot. If other soldiers were depending on that person, no one has time to play games. The only way to support soldiers who stayed and fought - (even in legal cases) - would be to vilify anyone who ran off.

But, then, there are suicides who don’t mess around.

Hitler was an example of someone who was not going to end up like Mussilini. Hitler himself had been tried in many battles, public fights and even arrested for what he was doing; in other words, he wasn’t escapist at all. He was “all in”, do or die, for what he wanted. Days before Hitler off’d himself, Hitler’s ally, Mussolini, had been captured - and publicly executed in a terrible way. But Hitler was so defiant upon hearing this that he did not want the public to see him denigrated, and the decision was they would all die (everyone, including the army) before quitting.

The Japanese (running low on munitions) also maintained a similar disposition (harakiri) during WWII, as well. It frustrated many American soldiers because at times when the Americans were winning - they said it was like shooting fish in a barrel. The Americans didnt want it, and the Americas would rather have not killed them.

Religiously, Jim Jones is a good example of someone who would have been so obstinate as to kill his own people (and himself) in opposition to others.

It is important to look at the intentions, social dynamics and ethical consequences for the well being of everyone involved. We live in a complex society; suicide may seem like a simple solution. But its also a permanent solution to temporary problems, which makes it no enduring solution at all.

We believe in the God of the living. So I always choose to look for solutions conducive to life, the well being of others, and the greater good.
 
Last edited:
I would just say that if anyone here is contemplating that choice or knows someone who is, it is extremely important that the potential suicide victim NOT be left to contemplate that choice alone.
I agree with you, however I think no one should be even contemplating suicide as a “solution” for anything. Granted there may be cases of mentally ill and irrational persons committing it, however as a society we must strive to discourage people from doing this.

As the Church teaches:

Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self (CCC 2281).
It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God (CCC 2281).

So this is a serious matter which could make people end up in Hell, although we may never know.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top