What are your thoughts on suicide?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bird_lover
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, the least-churched areas of the state have slightly lower suicide rates, probably because they have the most job prospects that are the least impacted by agriculture and forestry and the best access to mental health care. Suicide has been markedly higher in Oregon than in the nation as a whole for at least the past 30 years, though, especially among men. (It is the leading cause of death in the state for people 10-24.)

Based on the rise of suicides among males in rural areas, I would say that breadwinners who might feel the ability to provide for the family or to stick with a beloved way of life slipping away ought to be actively supported as at risk for suicide, as well. People in rural areas don’t always wear their hearts on their sleeves. Keeping them connected and helping them to keep the confidence that they can rise about the current crisis is important, too. One of the reasons men have such high suicide rates is that they so often do not connect with others when they’re going through something that puts them at risk for suicide but try to deny they have any problem and handle it alone.

I believe that even if the Evil One can’t deny a soul heaven by leading them into suicide, the Evil One would try it, anyway. Obviously, when someone ends their life, it prevents the good they would do and tempts others to despair. Even if we knew suicide never put anyone in Hell, we would still need to work hard to prevent it, because it is so clearly a loss to all that is good. We don’t need to know the victim’s culpability so much as we need to see the good actions we ought to look to do ourselves in order to stop this great evil whenever we can.
 
Last edited:
#BeThe1To is a public health effort by the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline to help save lives at risk of suicide:


Here are the five action steps they are asking people to learn:


Important points:
  1. Know the signs someone may be suicidal and actually ASK them: “Are you thinking about suicide?” or “Have you had any thoughts at all about harming yourself?” Then listen. Do not ever promise to keep their thoughts of suicide a secret. Help them not by giving them your reasons that you think they ought to have for wanting to live but by helping them to find the reasons they have for knowing their lives are valuable.
  2. Part of the “ask” action is eventually asking if they have a means in mind for ending their lives. KEEP THEM SAFE by keeping them away from the means they believe they would use. (In spite of what we might assume, it is not common for people to find an alternative means when someone who cares about them finds out the means they had intended and makes that inaccessible.)
  3. BE THERE not only by physically being with the person yourself if you can but by helping them to build a support network around themselves, to give them a feeling of connectedness to other people.
  4. HELP THEM CONNECT not just with people who care about them but also with professional resources.
  5. FOLLOW UP as time goes on, after the initial “crisis” might seem to be over.
Those are just the high points. It is well worth knowing the signs that sometimes accompany thoughts of suicide:
  • Frequent sadness, tearfulness, crying
  • Decreased interest in activities; or inability to enjoy previously favorite activities
  • Hopelessness
  • Persistent boredom; low energy
  • Social isolation, poor communication
  • Low self-esteem and guilt
  • Extreme sensitivity to rejection or failure
  • Increased irritability, anger, or hostility
  • Difficulty with relationships
  • Frequent complaints of physical illnesses such as headaches and stomachaches
  • Frequent absences from school or poor performance in school
  • Poor concentration
  • A major change in eating and/or sleeping patterns
  • Talk of or efforts to run away from home
  • Thoughts or expressions of suicide or self-destructive behavior
Don’t forget that a person who starts taking a medication that has thoughts of suicide as a known side effect are of course also at risk.

This is a moral question but it is not just a moral question. There are identified physical processes that put a person at risk of a depression-related suicide attempt. Even people who would consider joining an organization that would ask them to commit suicide (or risk a violent death) for a cause typically suffer from risk factors. As Fr. Greg Boyle once said: I have never seen a hopeful person join a gang. Someone who was from a culture that had such a thing as honor suicides would of course have to add those considerations–that is, the circumstances around which suicide would be seen as an “honorable” thing to do or a way of “providing for a family” and so on–as risk factors, too.
 
Last edited:
  • Increased irritability, anger, or hostility
  • Difficulty with relationships
Just to expand on these points in your excellent list, people often look for ways to push people away in a relationship. Even if you try to remain close to a person to help them, they may say or do awful things in an attempt to have you leave. DON’T LET THAT HAPPEN!!!
 
I’m going throw in also don’t let them push you away what you can also do besides helping them pray for them say rosaries and ask others to pray for them as well, help them by loving them and caring about them and continue to talk with them when they are ready.
 
Hi there, I’m 58 years old and I’m most interested in Mythology and where the basis of these tales are from…I’m really looking forward to speaking to others and discussing their opinions on certain subjects…
Where do others stand on Jesus’s reason for being apart from being sent here to save the future of Mankind?
 
Last edited:
Hi there, I’m 58 years old and I’m most interested in Mythology and where the basis of these tales are from…I’m really looking forward to speaking to others and discussing their opinions on certain subjects…
Where do others stand on Jesus’s reason for being apart from being sent here to save the future of Mankind?
Emo, welcome to CAF 😃

You will probably get more answers if you ask your question as a new topic rather than popping it in here.
 
Hi there, I’m 58 years old and I’m most interested in Mythology and where the basis of these tales are from…I’m really looking forward to speaking to others and discussing their opinions on certain subjects…
Where do others stand on Jesus’s reason for being apart from being sent here to save the future of Mankind?
I have a feeling you meant to post to a different thread. You can start a thread of your own to pose your question, though.

Forgive me if I suggest that perhaps coming to a Catholic web site and referring to Catholicism under the heading of “mythology” and asking where our “tales” are from and what our opinion of the “reason for being” of the Son of God could be taken as revealing that you haven’t done much of the basic research you might want to have under your belt before posing the question. You don’t want people to have the concern that you’re posting here primarily in order to get people upset. We do believe the things our faith holds to be not just true but capital “t” True.

This could get you started: Basic Tenets of Catholicism
 
Last edited:
This has been a difficult week for me. I was having a hard time last night, but when I prayed a rosary, I found consolation in the Sorrowful Mysteries, particularly when Jesus fell and Veronica wiped his face. I was having a hard time this afternoon too, but when I got in line for confession (several priests, public confessions, but far enough away that you couldn’t really eavesdrop on the person standing before the priests), I began saying the rosary with the Joyful Mysteries. I said more than one rosary, several in fact, and again, I was comforted during the Sorrowful Mysteries by the falls of Christ, Veronica’s help, and Simon helping Jesus with His cross. My own unhappiness was much mitigated when again I saw what Christ has done for us.
 
Last edited:
40.png
PetraG:
People can commit suicide for reasons that are spiteful, impulsive, defiant, or with motives other than irrational depression.
Agreed. Yet, this only means that we cannot presume “mortal sin”, but merely recognize that it’s only a possibility.
To kill oneself in spitefulness, in an impulsive moment, or for any reason, unless, perhaps, to avoid pain, can hardly be categorized as sane thinking.
 
During the real estate recession many people committed suicide because they lost everything - their house, their savings or their business or their farm. So it doesn’t always have to be mental issues.
I submit that suicides triggered by devastating losses are, indeed, caused by mental issues, unless deep depression is somehow no longer considered to be a mental issue.
 
Last edited:
for any reason, unless, perhaps, to avoid pain, can hardly be categorized as sane thinking.
I would assert that, when one is in chronic / severe / unchecked pain, he can’t be categorized as being able to think rationally, either. 🤔
 
In general, I must agree with you. I should have worded more carefully. Thank you for pointing that out. When I typed that comment I was thinking of people I’ve known who think they can’t endure any pain at all without painkillers—adult individuals who are fairly much babies or cowards. Although I do realize that people have different pain thresholds, and that a single individual may experience varying pain thresholds, it wasn’t either of these groups to which I referred.
 
Last edited:
To kill oneself in spitefulness, in an impulsive moment, or for any reason, unless, perhaps, to avoid pain, can hardly be categorized as sane thinking.
This line of reasoning can lead to the conclusion that there is no sin tha tis sane, and certainly no mortal sin that is sane. That isn’t true. Bad decisions aren’t automatically irrational.
 
40.png
Minks:
To kill oneself in spitefulness, in an impulsive moment, or for any reason, unless, perhaps, to avoid pain, can hardly be categorized as sane thinking.
This line of reasoning can lead to the conclusion that there is no sin tha tis sane, and certainly no mortal sin that is sane. That isn’t true. Bad decisions aren’t automatically irrational.
I would call such a conclusion both hasty and faulty. To kill oneself through suicide, the current topic, is irrevocable. The finality of carrying out such a reactionary decision, done in impulsivity or spite, is not on a par with other revocable sins which do not end the earthly life and can be repeated over and over. God will let us know in due time.
 
Last edited:
I would call such a conclusion both hasty and faulty. To kill oneself through suicide, the current topic, is irrevocable. The finality of carrying out such a reactionary decision, done in impulsivity or spite, is not on a par with other revocable sins which do not end the earthly life and can be repeated over and over.
Sometimes an impulsive decision is made because someone has taken leave of their senses. Sometimes, it is made by a rational person, though.
 
Sometimes an impulsive decision is made because someone has taken leave of their senses. Sometimes, it is made by a rational person, though.
Yet we can never be the judge to determine which it is, rational or irrational. Only God can make that determination. Why are people so persistent in trying to understand whether a person may have condemned themselves or not?? Leave it to God and His Mercy.
 
Yet we can never be the judge to determine which it is, rational or irrational. Only God can make that determination. Why are people so persistent in trying to understand whether a person may have condemned themselves or not?? Leave it to God and His Mercy.
Well, speaking from personal experience, because sometimes the knowledge that yes, it is possible that committing suicide is a mortal sin will sometimes help someone to reject doing it. People need tp know what actions have the gravity of mortal sin. Dreams and hallucinations aren’t culpable; actions can be.
 
People in a suicidal state, as I have been, are not likely to be thinking about consequences. There are never good consequences. I praise God that He saved me, but my mind was in a deep, dark place that night.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top