What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ordered two books from amazon. The first is "Introduction to the Devout Life (St. Francis de Sales). The second book is the newest book that Pope Benedict has published which is “The Apostles” (seems to go along with “Jesus of Nazareth”). I am incredibly excited to get both of them! I think that I am going to start “Introduction…” first though.😃
 
I actually decided to read the entire series this summer for the first time, in order to get myself caught up in time for the last book. Started around June 11, ended August 5… I’m wondering now, by the way you said that, are you perhaps doing something similar?
EDIT…never mind, I went through some earlier posts, were you re-reading the entire series?
Good for you masterjedi! How was it from beginning to end?

I saw the 5th movie and since I forgot a bunch of it, I started at 5 (I had previously read 5 & 6 when they came out)
 
*The Man in the White Sharkskin Suit *I forget the author, and don’t want to go look it up. So far it’s a fascinating history of the author’s family life before being forced out of Egypt after WWII.
 
**“What If?” I’ve been wanting to read this for the longest time, I’ve always loved reading about history… This gives historical facts along with essays about what would have happened if one thing (the outcome of a particular battle, say) turned out differently.

It’s actually both books, I found it in the bargain bin at the bookstore. It’s huge though, but on the plus side, it will make an excellent doorstop when I’m finished.**
 
Good for you masterjedi! How was it from beginning to end?
Well, I can’t really compare it to having not read the series from begining to end, but definitely enjoyable, and certainly deserving of a place in my top favorites when it comes to fiction. 🙂
 
Just began *The Cure d’Ars: Saint Jean-Marie-Baptiste Vianney *by Abbe Trochu. It is a wonderful book and the saint’s example has already awoken in me a fresh desire for holiness and has been an encouragement in my own vocational discernment. 👍
 
I’m almost embarrassed to say I’m reading a Dean Koontz novel. I saw an interview with him in “Faith and Family” magazine, so I thought I’d try him. I read many of his novels years ago, and enjoyed them. I turned toward reading more historical, religious, philosophical type books for awhile. However, I had a craving for something different this summer.
Anyway, I’m reading “From the Corner of His Eye”(referring to the eye of God). It’s disturbing in many ways, but a very compelling read.
I also read “Parsifal Mosaic” and “The Bourne Ultimatum” by Robert Ludlum (The Bourne series of novels are only remotely similar to the movies!). I also read “A Wrinkle in Time” for the first time! What a great book.

I know. I know. I’ll get back to those religious books! I’m planning on joining in on the CAF book club selection soon!🙂
 
Madeline Lengle (sp?) wrote other books, also along the same lines, sometimes with the same characters. She was a good writer.
 
I’m reading Orson Scott Card’s Alvin Maker series. I read the first two ages ago but the final book came out a while back so now I reading the whole thing – two books to go.
 
Madeline Lengle (sp?) wrote other books, also along the same lines, sometimes with the same characters. She was a good writer.
Thanks! I like the older books for teens/young s. They are light reading, but tend to have great lessons/stories with no bad language or bad family situations.
 
Good News, Bad News: Evangelization, Conversion and the Crisis of Faith by Fr. McCloskey and Russell Shaw
 
Before I mention what book I’m reading, I want you all to know that I’m registered “Independent” and I like to read things from both sides to get a ‘fair and balanced’ viewpoint. With that said,

Currently, I’m reading “Earth In The Balance” by Al Gore that he published long before the movie. (BTW–it’s a library book–I don’t buy a lot of books)

–Barbara
 
I just finished the non-fiction “Lost Star of Myth and Time” by Water Cruttenden, and started Stephen King’s “Everything’s Eventual” last night.
 
St. John’s Gospel: A Bible Study Guide and Commentary for Individuals and Groups (Steven Ray)
and
My Daily Catholic Bible: Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition 20-Minute Daily Readings
 
I’m now working reading Madame Bovary. I’m enjoying it so far.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top