What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I didn’t know that was there. Thanks. Now I have an electronic reading backlog. 😛
 
Wow, I didn’t know that was there. Thanks. Now I have an electronic reading backlog. 😛
Yea, it’s great. And free!

Here’s another useful site that puts them (the writings of the Church Fathers) in a timeline with other resources:

cs.cmu.edu/People/spok/catholic/writings.html

I recommend this to any and all who have not yet read these writings. They are spiritually and historically extremely interesting and edifying and as a new Catholic I find they help reinforce my reasons for coming back to the Faith, even in these troubling times (I am in Los Angeles, btw.)

I hope more discover these.
 
**I have just finished reading “Wuthering Heights” by Emily Bronte and “1491” by Charles Mann.

“Wuthering Heights” I did not care for very much. To me the characters were very cruel and selfish. I had always heard it described as a great romance story. Didn’t see it.

“1491” was very interesting. It is about the civilizations of the Americas before Columbus “discovered” them. I had no idea that historians, archaeologists, anthropoligists, botanists, and such were such fierce, territorial people. What impressed me most was that I have learned to actually spell “archaeologist”.

I am now reading Amy Tan’s “Saving Fish from Drowning” and a book about the building of St Peter’s Basilica.**
 
I just started Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix last night. I watched the movie and realized how much I forgot. So hopefully I can be kept in the dark about Deathly Hallows because I’ll re-read Half-Blood Prince next and then the last. I went to the H.P. No Spoiler thread here and of course a couple, ahem, posters don’t know what No Spoilers mean. So I’ll be avoiding ANYTHING that says Harry Potter for awhile.
 
The last book i read was Noam Chomsky’s “chronicles of dissent” Its a good book for anyone who wants an introduction to his opinion on foregin policy
 
I’m reading Les Miserables. I haven’t seen the movie or play, and really don’t think I will anytime soon, but I love the book. I tried to read it as a teenager, but short time and short attention span kept me from understanding it much.
 
I just started Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix last night. I watched the movie and realized how much I forgot. So hopefully I can be kept in the dark about Deathly Hallows because I’ll re-read Half-Blood Prince next and then the last. I went to the H.P. No Spoiler thread here and of course a couple, ahem, posters don’t know what No Spoilers mean. So I’ll be avoiding ANYTHING that says Harry Potter for awhile.
I’ll have to re-up my library membership and read the whole series again, now that it is complete. It will be part of my annual reading list, along with Gone with the Wind, and Jane Austen and Dumas.
 
Have you read Frank Herbert’s Dune books? They are utterly genius and magnificent in every way. They are without a doubt my favorite of all books.
I’ve read Dune (fascinating), Dune Messiah and Children of Dune (loved the politics and intrigue). Then I got to God Emperor of Dune and only made it about two-thirds of the way through (zzzzzz). It just seemed to get too ponderous for me. Do you see this book as “different” from the preceeding ones or did I just get Duned-out? 😃
 
I’ve read Dune (fascinating), Dune Messiah and Children of Dune (loved the politics and intrigue). Then I got to God Emperor of Dune and only made it about two-thirds of the way through (zzzzzz). It just seemed to get too ponderous for me. Do you see this book as “different” from the preceeding ones or did I just get Duned-out? 😃
Dune as a series has a certain progression of quality, going steadily downward as you get further in. I do think God Emperor’s the exception, though – I honestly liked it a little better than Children.

Whatever you do, don’t bother to go past God Emperor. Heretics and Chapterhouse were abysmal, and let’s not even get into the prequels – unlike Chris Tolkien, Brian Herbert has no respect for his father’s creation, and managed to team up with Kevin Anderson, a complete hack I hesitate to dignify with the label ‘author’. Frank’s rolling in his grave.
 
I just rented ‘Dune’ - the movie. :nope: 'course it was late when I started but it was IMHO just garbage. I called it quits for the night and saw that I was at 1.5 hours with I think 45 minutes to go. I opted to return it unfinished.

Finished Order of the Phoenix. Now reading Harry Potter: Half-Blood Prince.

** SPOILER WARNING **
As I re-read it, several things strike me.
-The first is the unbreakable vow or whatever that Snape makes. I remember wondering whether Dumbledore was truly dead or not. After reading that part I’m 99.9% sure he is.
-The second I read last night where the new Potion’s prof makes a love potion and it smells differently to everyone. To Harry it smelled like some desert, broomsticks, and some fragrance. Well later he smells it and turns around and it’s GINNY!
** END WARNING **
 
Currently reading (make that listening to) “The Watchman” by Robert Crais.

Just finished “Fresh Disasters” by Stuart Woods

On tap:
“The 6th Target” by James Patterson
“Invisible Prey” by John Sanford
"The Overlook: by Michael Connelly
“Bad Luck and Trouble” and “The Hard Way” by Lee Child
 
I’m in the middle of The Black Flower by Howard Bahr. Highly recommended by Shelby Foote. Its very good so far.
 
I’m currently reading three books. I’m still going through Crime and Punishment. It’s not the kind of book that I like to read on it’s own. It’s very disturbing, so i try to read something light and cheerful at the same time. I’m also reading Inkspell, the sequel to Inkheart. And I just picked up a book called Becoming Jane Austen. It’s a biography. The movie Becoming Jane is based on it.
 
God Emporer Dune is BLAH! I love the first three though.

I’m readin “The Philosophy of Jesus” by Peter Kreeft

I just got done reading “Name of the Wind”…which was good…but oddly the first half was a lot better than the last part. The last part got really boring…even though there was some stuff that was important. But I’ll probly read the sequel.
 
I rarely have time to get into a good book, but this weekend I managed to squeeze in Dante’s “Inferno”. I managed to get through high school without having it on my curriculum but my kids had it as part of theirs and they insisted I read it.

This, of course, because I insisted they read SE Hinton’s “The Outsiders” which they had managed to get through middle school without having it on their curriculum .

Now we’re even. 😛 I loved Inferno, they loved Outsiders.

Though, daughter says I still need to read “Catcher in the Rye” 😊
 
Finished reading The Half-Blood Prince. FINALLY reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

*** SPOILER WARNING ***
I’m on chapter 4 or 5 but Fred and George are HILARIOUS - If only I could be that funny in adversity.

Talk about a no-holds barred kinda of book. The honeymoon appears to be over.
*** END WARNING ***
 
Finished reading The Half-Blood Prince. FINALLY reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
I actually decided to read the entire series this summer for the first time, in order to get myself caught up in time for the last book. Started around June 11, ended August 5… I’m wondering now, by the way you said that, are you perhaps doing something similar?
EDIT…never mind, I went through some earlier posts, were you re-reading the entire series?

I’m now working on Virgil’s * Aeneid* for school next week, and it’s alright… not quite as exciting, obviously, but it has its moments… and it’s not nearly as long. 🙂
 
I have just read ‘retribution’ by jilliane Hoffman. I finished it today - it was very good:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top