What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Catholics be Left Behind? by Carl Olsen
The Navarre Bible (New Testament)
And the most recent editions of *This Rock *, Crisis , and Homiletic and Pastoral Review.
 
Will Catholics be Left Behind? by Carl Olsen
The Navarre Bible (New Testament)
And the most recent editions of *This Rock *, Crisis , and Homiletic and Pastoral Review.
Sounds good! I think the “Rapture” theory is abominable.
 
I just finished St. Monica Model of Christian Mothers by F.A. Forbes.
It is a beautiful book about the most patient of mothers who had to put up with an arranged marriage to a pagan, an angry hateful mother-in-law and a wayward son. Through prayers and patience and strength in her Catholic faith - ALL were converted. Her son of course is the great St. Augustine.🙂
 
The Crusades by Hillaire Belloc
The Fabric of the Cosmos (again) by Brian Greene
 
Just finished The Temperament God Gave You, by Art and Laraine Bennett, and Spiritual Progress, by Father Thomas Williams.

I also recently read and loved The Truth of Catholicism, by George Weigel, and Left to Tell, by Immaculee Ilabigiza. Both great books!
 
I bounce between books which is usually bad but I seem to have it worked out:D

Heretics - Chesterton
Orthodoxy - Chesterton
Everlasting Man - Chesterton (so sue me, I went on a Chesterton binge on Amazon:D )
Making Sense of Suffering - Kreeft (re-reading it, very very good and easy to read)
Lord of the Rings - Tolkien
Mere Humanity - Williams
Mere Christianity - Lewis
Anarchy, State, and Utopia - Nozick
The Medium and the Light - McCluhan
 
I am currently reading:

ST. JOSEPH OF COPERTINO by Fr. Angelo Patrovicchi, OMC. published by TAN Books & Publishers.

He was known as the Flying Saint because the man, literally, could fly. But the book isn’t so much about that as it is about his simple life, complete devotion to the Lord, and serious penances and mortifications. It’s very inspiring so far. There is no sainthood without self-sacrifice. I recommend this book.

I just finished the other day reading:
ALEXANDRINA The Agony and the Glory by Francis Johnston, and also published by TAN Books. It is the story of Blessed Alexandrina, beatified by Pope John Paul II in 2004.
She lived the last 14 years of her life eating absolutely no food and drinking absolutely no water, and this was medically documented. The only thing she subsisted on was 1 daily communion host, for 14 years.

Jaypeeto4
+JMJ+
 
Currently, I’m reading Tom Sawyer by some guy named Twain.

I’m doing a summer reading series (of my own) with the theme of “pirates”. Tom Sawyer was first in line, because I have it. I’m looking forward to some Rafael Sabatini soon, though.

If anyone has read Sabatini, which do you reccomend? Captain Blood or The Sea Hawk? I’m willing to be they’re both really good, but which should be first to read?
 
Finally finished:

Benjamin Franklin: An American Story

Rebels of Ireland
by Edward Rutherfurd

The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory

Have started:

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

**1491 **(forgot the author’s name) about the stories of the Native Americans before Christopher Columbus. Been through several chapters and it is very interesting.
 
Halfway through Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. Good stuff, although he tended to be a bit wordy. The Hunchback of Notre Dame was easier going.

Maggie, I hope you enjoy Wuthering Heights. That book always makes me wish that Emily Bronte had written more. Her sisters were good, but there was something special about her style.

Dostoyevsky’s Crime and Punishment is up next. I’m hoping the Russian names won’t be as hard to keep track of as the ones in Tolstoy novels. :o
 
Good luck. That’s why I finally gave up on The Brothers Karamzov. All the names started to sound the same.:o
 
Finally finished:

Benjamin Franklin: An American Story

Rebels of Ireland
by Edward Rutherfurd

The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory

Have started:

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

**1491 **(forgot the author’s name) about the stories of the Native Americans before Christopher Columbus. Been through several chapters and it is very interesting.
What did you think of The Other Boleyn Girl? Phillipa Gregory’s written a fair bit since then. I like The Constant Princess (about Katherine of Aragon’s first marriage to Henry VIII’s older brother) and The Boleyn Inheritance (about Anne of Cleves and Katherine Howard, Henry’s fourth and fifth wives)
 
What did you think of The Other Boleyn Girl? Phillipa Gregory’s written a fair bit since then. I like The Constant Princess (about Katherine of Aragon’s first marriage to Henry VIII’s older brother) and The Boleyn Inheritance (about Anne of Cleves and Katherine Howard, Henry’s fourth and fifth wives)
I enjoyed it. I am planning to read the other books by Philippa Gregory as well. Somehow I am really enjoying reading about history and am really getting into fictional history too.
 
I enjoyed it. I am planning to read the other books by Philippa Gregory as well. Somehow I am really enjoying reading about history and am really getting into fictional history too.
I first developed an interest in history as a young’un by reading slightly fictionalised history - in my case it was mainly the work of Jean Plaidy.
 
I’m reading A Meaningful World by Ben Wiker and Jonathan Witt. Not finished but so far it’s very well written and creatively inspiring.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top