What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Oh! That’s a good one! It’s on my “re-read some day” list.

Right now I’m reading Bishop Sheen’s “The World’s First Love,” about the Blessed Mother.
 
At work, I’m reading Truman Capote’s In Cold Blood.
At home, I’m reading Stephen King’s The Shining.
 
A Father Who Keeps His Promises, by Scott Hahn
The Karamazov Brothers, Dostoyevski (I’m currently taking a break from this one)
 
Yesterday (a snow day) I read “The Passion from Within” by Adrienne von Speyr, and jumped from there into “First Glance at Adrienne von Speyr” by Hans Urs von Balthasar. I had heard of both of them but hadn’t had any exposure.

Anyway, I can’t say I understood everything, but I’m really excited, especially about von Speyr’s description of what Jesus experienced during the institution of the Eucharist at the Last Supper.

Has anyone out there read von Speyr, and what is your understanding of her?
 
I am reading…

Children of Dune by Frank Herber (for the third time)

Eragon by Christopher Paolini (mostly so I can have the right to tell people how awful it is… and it is)

Twenty Years After by Alexandre Dumas (the sequel to the Three Musketeers)

simultaneously. Why read a book at a time when you can immerse yourself in three or more? 🙂
 
Interzone by William S Burroughs. I’m through the short-story part, about to get into Lee’s Journals. It’s wonderful, but then I didn’t expect any less from Burroughs 🙂
40.png
Verita:
Why read a book at a time when you can immerse yourself in three or more?
My reason is lack of time 😦 I used to have three or five going at once, but I rarely have time for that anymore. Now I just read for 20-30 minutes before going to sleep.
 
“The Incredible Catholic Mass” This is great book. I highly recommend it.
 
Yesterday the mailman delivered Raymond Arroyo’s new book on Mother Angleica’s spiritual wisdom. I began reading it as soon as I got off the shrink wrap!!

Micki
 
Have you read Frank Herbert’s Dune books? They are utterly genius and magnificent in every way. They are without a doubt my favorite of all books.
I haven’t. Next up are the last 2 in the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov - but maybe I’ll put those after that in the queue.
 
Anybody who likes historical novels, or Philippa Gregory in particular (The Other Boleyn Girl) just got hold of another one of hers, The Boleyn Inheritance. It’s about Anne of Cleves and Catherine Howard, Henry VIII’s fourth and fifth wives. Good stuff, they tend to be glossed over and ignored a little.
 
I haven’t. Next up are the last 2 in the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov - but maybe I’ll put those after that in the queue.
I would highly reccommend it. I have yet to read the Foundation prequels. I read all of the regular series and was somewhat disappointed at the end. Not with the books themselves, but because he never finished them. We’ll never know how it was supposed to end. 😦

Of course Dune is the same way. I would say only read Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune. Don’t bother with the last two (Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse Dune) unless you’re really into it, because it’s an unfinished trilogy.
 
just finished The Sign of Jonas by Thomas Merton, sequel to Seven Storey Mountain. 👍

St. Bonaventure’s Life of St. Francis tho i put that down and can’t find it right at the moment!

So i started re-reading St. Teresa’s Interior Castles

and am working up my nerve to start von Hildebrand Transformation in Christ

Lent reading for me is very spiritual, I guess …
 
Anybody who likes historical novels, or Philippa Gregory in particular (The Other Boleyn Girl) just got hold of another one of hers, The Boleyn Inheritance. It’s about Anne of Cleves and Catherine Howard, Henry VIII’s fourth and fifth wives. Good stuff, they tend to be glossed over and ignored a little.
I recently read “The Other Boleyn Girl”. I enjoyed it. Right now I am reading “The Storekeepers Daughter” …about the Amish. They hold a real fascination for me.

Kathy
 
I’m just starting Theology of the Body Explained by Chris West. I’m also reading the diary of Sr. Faustina.
 
“By Any Means Necessary” - Burrows

“Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War” by Robert Coram
 
I’m about halfway through The Ascent to Truth (Thomas Merton). It’s the book I’m currently reading to my 13 year old son before bed since I’ve discovered he enjoys having me read him theology and philosophy books, which was sort of an unexpected surprise.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top