What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
During a recent trip to Indiana to record an album, I purchased “God Is Near Us” and God Is Love, both by Pope Benedict XVI. I started reading God Is Near Us and on page 12, which is the 2nd page of the first, well, chapter, I guess, found something that helped me make a decision about recording one of my songs that would have been left off of this album.

The distant God becomes our God, becomes “Emmanuel” --“God with us” (Mt 1:23). The great masters of church music have found ever new ways of making this sentence sound out, beyond anything that can be said in words, in such a way that the inexpressible reaches our ears and touches our hearts. Such compositions are an “exegesis” of the mystery more profound than any of our rational interpretations. But because it was the Word that became flesh, we must ever again strive, nonetheless, to translate into our human words this first creative Word, which “was with God” and which “is God” (Jn 1:1), so that in those words we may hear *the *Word. - Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger God Is Near Us:The Eucharist, The Heart of Life p.12

Now, I’m not “great master of church music”, but I read this Wednesday night and took it as confirmation that I should record “God Almighty, Little Child” on that Thursday morning. The album will not be completed until April, but you can read about it by following this link to www.TopCatholicSongs.com
You can also stream my first version of this song from virb.com/gfaucheux

I have continued reading God Is Near Us and am learning to appreciate our current pope even more. Honestly, after John Paul II, well, maybe I just don’t like change, but thank God that He led me to purchase these books so that I could get to know Pope Benedict more.

Peace,
Gerard
 
“Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets” … again! I am a huge fan of the series and began re-reading it while I was in the bed with the flu on Monday and Tuesday. I am almost finished with CoS (bk 2) and will promptly begin book 3, “Prisoner of Azkaban” on Thursday.
 
“The Faithful Departed”, by Philip Lawler. It details the history of Catholicism in Boston, and how such a heavily Catholic area came to be a bastion of so much that is the antithesis of Catholicism (pro-abortion “Catholic” politicians, gay “marriage”, horrible clerical sexual abuse and cover-ups, etc.) Interestingly, Lawler seems to be saying that in the rush to become assimilated and get beyond past discrimination, Catholic leaders capitulated by not strongly preaching Catholic doctrine. Without strong Catholic leaders, the faithful came to believe that “anything goes”…and went. Fascinating read.
 
The Audacity of Hope by someone who I cannot name on this forum. I think that reading a book that a person has written provides a window into their mind.
 
Anyone Can Cook Cookbook by Better Homes and Gardens. I’m tired of cooking the same things all the time. Breaks everything down very nicely.
 
The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls. It’s a really well-crafted account of growing up in a very eccentric and at times very dysfunctional family. You are amazed this woman grew up and made a normal life for herself.
 
I’m working on two right now:

“Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire” (rereading the series yet again) and “The Lost Books of the Bible.”
 
Island of the World by Michael O’Brien (reading slowly because I love his books and want to draw the experience out)
 
Standard of Honor by Jack Whyte. The second of his Knights Templar trilogy.
 
“None Dare Call It Treason” by John A. Stormer. 1964.

It just popped up in my reading pile … and it is excellent. I can’t wait to read the rest of his books.
 
Island of the World by Michael O’Brien (reading slowly because I love his books and want to draw the experience out)
I’m reading that one right now too! It’s wonderful, isn’t it? 🙂
 
Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper (I think I read about it or the upcoming movie somewhere here on the forums)
 
I looked up Roman Catholicism on the Library yesterday, and checked out about 5 books. The one I am reading now is called “The decline and fall of the Roman Church.” by Malachi Martin. It is a very interesting book…

Tommy
 
Asperger Syndrome and the Elemtary School Experience

It is going to be a long twelve years in the education system.
 
The Kite Runner.
Thats a good one! I had to read that before I started my freshman year here at Michigan State Uni. They make all the incoming freshman read a book for Lansings “One book, one community” project…I think its a cool idea.

I just finish reading Richard Louv’s Last Child in the Woods. I would recommend every parent read it…its very eye opening about just how important nature is for both kids and adults. It mirrors a lot of what I want to do with my career.

I think I’m going to start on the Dexter series tonight, I got the first two books for Christmas but haven’t gotten to them yet. I’m overdue for some fiction reading…the last few books I’ve read have been non-fiction and rather scholarly, but I guess thats what I get for being a science geek. I really want to read Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring…but I have to locate a copy first. I also have to finish the Origin of Species…I’m only about 1/3 of the way through it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top