What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
TRUTH AND TOLERENCE: CHRISTIAN BELIEF AND WORLD RELIGIONS by Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger

Tough reading, but brilliant!

BRIDESHEAD REVISITED by Evelyn Waugh
 
Currently reading Shogun by James Clavell.
Awsome book so far:thumbsup:
 
I just received in the mail “Modern Physics and Ancient Faith” by Stephen M Barr, a particle physicist and a Roman Catholic- can’t wait to read it.(ANd I hope I can get through it as I’m not a scientist)
I’m hoping to pass it on after I’ve read it to an atheist family member who thinks that science and Christianity(religeous belief) are imcompatible.
 
Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks (for my book group)

The Adventures of Maya the Bee, by Waldemar Bonsels (just for fun; thanks to my sister for getting me a very old English-language copy of this book from a second-hand bookstore. 🙂 )

Will be continuing to read the Diary of St. Faustina, and would like to start the Omnibus of Sources.
 
While technically, I’m not “reading” them, I did go on my business trip and listened to The Chronicles of Prydain:The Book of Three. Its storyline seems a bit cliche to me, but I enjoyed it none-the-less. I enjoyed listening to James Langton do the different voices. I just love the way the girl keeps saying things about being “assistant pig-keeper” and the way Langton inflects it.

Towards the end of the trip I began The Black Cauldron. I’ll probably listen to it on the way to and from work (not far) and return it to the library and get the book and read the rest.
 
Michael D. O’Brien’s newest, Island of the World

The man can write! 👍
 
Greenwitch by Susan Cooper. It’s book 3 in her Dark is Rising series.
 
15 Days : stories of bravery, friendship, life and death from inside the new Canadian army, by Christie Blatchford.

Blatchford is a journalist, who was embedded for a time with the CF in Afghanistan. In this book, she has selected 15 specific days of her time with the troops and we hear the stories of “bravery, friendship, life and death” from a very personal perspective. It’s eye-opening, moving, sobering, inspiring, thought provoking…
 
To The Bitter End - a history of the Paraguayan War.

Jesus of Nazareth

Also working through Remembering the Kana

If only I could contain my curiousity to a couple of subjects :rolleyes:
 
Currently reading:

Josef Pieper: The four cardinal virtues.
John Finnis : Aquinas,
Natural Law, Natural rights.
Jean Porter: The Recovery of virtue.
Sean McDonagh: Why are we deaf to the cry of the earth.
Thomas Aquinas: Summa Theologica.
Jeremiah Newman: Foundations of justice.
Ralph McInerny Ethica Thomistica: The Moral philosophy of Thomas Aquinas

Various EPA reports.

Also at home:
David Gemmell: The Jerusalem man.
Maria Doria Russel: Children of God.
(lasst two seem like religiousy books but they arent really, just good ole sci fi!)
 
Reading along w/ my 4 Lang Art classes:

The Trojan War
A Man For All Seasons
The Hound of the Baskervilles
To Kill A Mockingbird
 
Still reading O’Brien’s newest, but slowly, mainly because it’s heavy, but also in order to enjoy it fully.

Also - Last Words ~ Final Thoughts of Catholic Saints and Sinners by Paul Thigpen

And after finishing Jonathan Stroud’s The Amulet of Samarkand and The Golem’s Eye, I’m now on the 3rd book of the Bartimaeus Trilogy, which is Ptolemy’s Gate. Another series that I would not recommend for children, but as an adult I can find some enjoyment in parts of the story. I’m hoping there will be some sort of redemption at the end of this last book.
 
Captive Witness (Nancy Drew book) and trying to finish Prince Caspian before the movie opens in 20 days.
 
The Mind’s Ascent to God by a Ladder of Created Things, by St. Robert Bellarmine.
 
15 Days : stories of bravery, friendship, life and death from inside the new Canadian army, by Christie Blatchford.

Blatchford is a journalist, who was embedded for a time with the CF in Afghanistan. In this book, she has selected 15 specific days of her time with the troops and we hear the stories of “bravery, friendship, life and death” from a very personal perspective. It’s eye-opening, moving, sobering, inspiring, thought provoking…
A book called “Redeeming Grief”
Abook about post abortion trauma and grief. It is an excellent easy to read and beautiful book.
 
Just finished “How the Irish Saved Civilization” by Thomas Cahill, about the Book of Kells.

Now reading “The Princes of Ireland” by Edward Rutherford.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top